🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 8 — Guest Host: Paul F. Tompkins

Comedian/actor/writer Paul F. Tompkins takes on hosting duties to interview the host of Shortwave, the voice of Grant Lee Buffalo, and the Gilmore Girls beloved town troubadour Grant-Lee Phillips. Grant-Lee talks about his writing process, the fear of possibly recording the final album, and transitioning from performing with a band to performing solo. Grant-Lee and Paul recall the Ice Storm performance at the world famous Whiskey A Go-Go New Year’s Eve show, discuss the similarities of performing comedy & music, and play a clip of them both performing The Doors classic “People Are Strange.” Plus, we are treated from some live songs from Grant-Lee’s new album “Walking In The Green Corn."

Good episode! Interesting idea flipping the guest/host dynamic, I wonder what other shows it'd work with. Lots of interesting discussion about the parallels of musicians and comedians, both in terms of performance and creative process. I enjoyed hearing thoughtful Paul F. Thompkins... Full F. Thoughtkins?

Loved the duet, too!

I really enjoyed the GREAT HORNED OWL song. Just beautiful.

This is the first time I've heard PFT doing something as 'serious' as this. I was struck that the quality of his interview style, timing and ability to not go for some jokes that felt right in his wheelhouse, seemed to be as high as any NPR host. Maybe PFT should consider tackling some more serious topics, as I think he might be that fresh voice in journalism we need.

Then again, I can't lose things like, "Who-who...could disagree?".

• Like 1

Interesting idea flipping the guest/host dynamic, I wonder what other shows it'd work with.

You know what I think would be cool? If Earwolf did a week of hosts on different shows. Skarls over on Who Charted, HDTGM hosting CBB, Scott hosting Professor Blastoff. Just would be fun to see everyone take on each other's duties.

You know what I think would be cool? If Earwolf did a week of hosts on different shows. Skarls over on Who Charted, HDTGM hosting CBB, Scott hosting Professor Blastoff. Just would be fun to see everyone take on each other's duties.

Reminds me of the April Fool's Day comic strip swap some syndicated cartoonists would do for the newspaper strips! I am liking this idea more and more.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the April Fool's Day comic strip swap some syndicated cartoonists would do for the newspaper strips! I am liking this idea more and more.

YES! I knew I remembered this from somewhere! That was pretty neat. I guess it's just a pipe dream though, almost impossible to get all their schedules lined up.

Very nice show! Paul is always a fantastic guest on any show, but he is also an outstanding host. Get this man a TV show already. Also, can the fine folks at Earwolf update his photo already? He has had his glorious mustache for THREE YEARS now. Let's get in contact with his manager and get an updated headshot. Or better yet, take his photograph. He's there practically every week. Honor the mustache!

Very nice show! Paul is always a fantastic guest on any show, but he is also an outstanding host. Get this man a TV show already. Also, can the fine folks at Earwolf update his photo already? He has had his glorious mustache for THREE YEARS now. Let's get in contact with his manager and get an updated headshot. Or better yet, take his photograph. He's there practically every week. Honor the mustache!

Make it so when you mouse over his picture, it switches between moustache and no-moustache.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this