🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 13 — Responsibility

It’s the triumphant return of the grizzled veteran on today’s Love, Dad! The dads discuss the effects of getting injured, the unnecessary competitiveness among dads at kid soccer games, and precautions to take on Halloween. Dave talks about about teaching his kids about taking responsibility with a chore chart, starting a business with his son Charlie, and gives us a clean joke of the week. Plus, Jeff tells us about his recent football related injury and falling in love with his wife while trick-or-treating at the age of 13.

there is a very interesting episode of the NPR podcast "Planet Money" from back in the summer where they spoke to a guy named Joshua Gans, who's a parent and economist and wrote a book called "Parentonomics". He speaks about giving incentives to kids for behaviour and task completion, and how the kids learn to game the system. He also had an interesting scheme that I'm considering once my kids are old enough for an allowance (anyone have thought about what age to start that??): he has a tax/subsidy that he offers; for example, if the kids want to spend their allowance money on candy, they pay a tax to him. if they spend it on something with educational value, he subsidizes it.

it's an interesting way to look at things, and i think it falls in line a bit more with what Jeff was saying in this episode.

• Like 1

JEFF! The football story makes me a fan of YOU for life. We've all been there. I blew out my knee after our second was born playing street hockey here in Colorado. Not even playing, so much as making a joke between games. My wife was not happy, as I was walking slowly with a cane for a few weeks. But she got stronger from it all! That's why we do these things, to build toughness in our ladies.

Another great episode by the way and I want to hear more of the stories of Jeff/wife.

Great episode and nice to hear Dave back even though I did enjoy the guest hosts. So on the topic of the whole allowance thing I like Dave's system and think it would work well.

On a side note I would love to hear an episode were Dave or a guest talk about how they deal with fighting kids.

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with Dave's method, but my kids aren't even close to that age yet so it's difficult to give an opinion. One thing I know for sure is no amount of allowance or negotiations can get a 3 year old out of bed if they do not want to as Jeff will soon find out.

Sign in to follow this