🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 17 — Good Afternoont

Yo, what up race cars! This week’s special guest Dave Holmes drops by to tell everyone to cut the shit and stop being racist. Dave & Andrew discuss dating outside of your own race, figure out exactly what oriental flavor is, and talk about culture forcing cartoonish behavior from everyone in movies. They also break down why a caller’s co-worker is straight up racist, call racist on the song “My Old Kentucky Home,” and ask why anything that can potentially help society is given a shitty nickname. Plus, Dave explains “Up the Butt Bob” to Andrew, bridges the gap between all Americans, and fixes racism. Call 323-389 RACE to leave a question and possibly have someone make fun of you on the podcast. Peace.

I see the word "oriental" as being a lot like the word "colored" for black people. Originally that was just a common, inoffensive way to refer to people of that ethnicity, but it has fallen out of fashion. So now saying the word rings as offensive to people not because people go out of their way to use the word in a racist way, but because it reminds people of a time when people were more racist.

So personally my attitude is, if you're an old person then it's probably not coming from a particularly racist place. While it's cool if you don't use it, I don't really have a problem with it if you do. But if you're young, you should definitely know better. Whether it's offensive or not is MAYBE debatable, but what's not debatable is that using the term makes you sound like an old person. So just knock it off.

• Like 1

The problem with the term oriental is that it is defining peoples and place by its relationship to the west. Why oriental? Because it's to the east of Europe. By using it you're unconsciously asserting your western world view.

Also, they did change the words to Old Kentucky Home for the Derby and took the darky part out. Now Swanee River on the other hand, that's a clear call.

One thing that drives me crazy, no matter what health care plan is implemented, no one can legally be refused emergency health care. I hate the dying in the street comments. I live in the Midwest, if someone even looks like they may be sick on the street, law enforcement gets a dozen calls on that person. I personally respond to theses calls and trust me, nobody is being refused necessary medical attention with or without "obamacare". If you want to talk about non emergency procedures not being done or people having their credit destroyed because of not being able to pay their medical bills, this is what healthcare plans effect.

Funny how right after listening to this I had to read an english paper on the difference between oriental and american cockroaches.

The problem with the term oriental is that it is defining peoples and place by its relationship to the west. Why oriental? Because it's to the east of Europe. By using it you're unconsciously asserting your western world view.

I still don'tquite get it, because it doesn't seem that way to me at all--more like, it's just separating the world into two parts: the west (occidental) and the east (oriental). And it still doesn't make sense as an explanation to why it's offensive, because like Andrew said most people have no problem with it being applied to objects like rugs, so... To me that just sounds like something people made up after the fact, because they had to rationalize being offended by a term that originally was intended in an inoffensive manner. Which they don't, any more than black people need to rationalize being bothered by the term "colored."

I have to say one thing that really bothered me in the podcast, and I forgot to mention. When they were going on about how Tyler Perry is basically the black Adam Sandler, and if you're making fun of Tyler Perry's movies you should also be making fun of Happy Madison stuff. First of all, doesn't everyone already know this? And second of all, where are Andrew and Dave hanging around that all the white people make fun of Tyler Perry movies but not Adam Sandler movies? I see people making fun of Happy Madison movies everywhere I go. Man, last year people were hating on Bucky Larson and Jack and Jill non-stop. I think Tyler Perry movies actually get made fun of less, because they aren't on white people's radar as much.

East and West don't describe quality or value, they describe direction. Asia is to the east of Europe.

I have to say one thing that really bothered me in the podcast, and I forgot to mention. When they were going on about how Tyler Perry is basically the black Adam Sandler, and if you're making fun of Tyler Perry's movies you should also be making fun of Happy Madison stuff. First of all, doesn't everyone already know this? And second of all, where are Andrew and Dave hanging around that all the white people make fun of Tyler Perry movies but not Adam Sandler movies? I see people making fun of Happy Madison movies everywhere I go. Man, last year people were hating on Bucky Larson and Jack and Jill non-stop. I think Tyler Perry movies actually get made fun of less, because they aren't on white people's radar as much.

100% correctamundo. I hear at least as much Happy Madison bashing as I do Tyler Perry bashing from white folks. Probably more.

And yeah, both types of bashings are cases of folks being tedious by saying things which should go without saying.

But then why is the West "the West"? It seems like calling it that is just as much adopting an Eastern world view as calling the East "the East" is adopting a Western world view.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this