🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ShaneHebert

Collision Course (1989)

If you: A. like buddy cop comedies, B. think asain based racism is hillarious, C. think that the "Rush Hour" series would be a lot better if Chris Tucker was several degrees paler and cursed with a chin that could bludgeon a farm animal to death, HAVE I GOT A MOVIE FOR YOU!!!

Jay Leno. Mr. Miyagi. Car jokes. COLLISION COURSE.

It has all the playful xenophobia of Japanese businessmen that you loved in Michael Keaton's "Gung Ho" with all the snappy one-liners you've come to expect from the ONE TRUE HOST OF THE TONIGHT SHOW (do'ri-tos). It's a crazy mess of a movie that did fairly well at the box office at the time and has been quickly forgotten by the universe. (With good reason I'd imagine)

East Meets Best in "Collision Course."

Oh yeah, and did I mention that Pat Morita jump kicks a speeding car in this movie? Oh, sorry. Cause he does.

Trailer (Where none of the jokes are funny) --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0HtTUrYwts

Greatest Scene Ever (Where a short elderly asian man jumpkicks a car-- very funny) -->

The Film (Available on YouTube in chunks) -->

This movie inspired one of the best reviews I've ever read on Netflix:

Possibly one of the greatest movies of the last 83 years. Look out Arnold Schwarzenegger...Jay Leno really showed the potential to become one of the greatest action stars of all time. Pat Morita's performance nearly brought me tears especially with his recent passing. He's really good at acting like a person who's from Japan.

Incidentally, if I had to guess, I'd say that Jimmy Kimmel would probably be the best guest if they did this one.

• Like 1

This one just popped up on HBO Go. I can't believe HDTGM has not yet worked this one over. The 'hilarious racism' and overt product placement makes this a sure bet.

This movie just came to my attention, so I had to drop in. Wikipedia mentions that though this movie was produced in 1989, it was never brought to theaters, only getting a home video release in 1992.

Also: "When Morita guest-starred on The Tonight Show in 1989, with Leno serving as guest host, they recalled that the movie had run out of money on the last day of filming, with key scenes yet to be shot and no budget left for editing and post-production."

• Like 1

This movie just came to my attention, so I had to drop in. Wikipedia mentions that though this movie was produced in 1989, it was never brought to theaters, only getting a home video release in 1992.

Also: "When Morita guest-starred on The Tonight Show in 1989, with Leno serving as guest host, they recalled that the movie had run out of money on the last day of filming, with key scenes yet to be shot and no budget left for editing and post-production."

So was it scheduled to be the last day of shooting, or did it just BECOME the last day of shooting? "We were totally about to shoot the important shit, but wouldn't you know it, we ran out of money THAT very day" is a fantastic excuse!

• Like 1

This movie is bonkers and a legitimate how did this movie get made? Other than Jay Leno starring in an action comedy, I don't know how it got past that and into development, especially since Jay Leno, you know, can't act at all.

Bump. This movie is also hella racist against Asians. It's shocking how many racist slurs and jokes Jay Leno says.