🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 186 — New York Mainstays

Fellow podcasters and first timers Julie Klausner and Jake Fogelnest are here on today’s Comedy Bang Bang! Jake & Julie recall the first time they met, each describe their podcasts “The Fogelnest Files” and “How Was Your Week” respectively, and share their love of BuzzFeed’s Katie Notopoulos. Garry Marshall returns to reveal his secret name, tell us about his new family sitcom based on The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, and plays a game of Would You Rather? You will hear tales of Garry’s past and we'll finally answer the age old question as to if there is indeed a Scope brand toothpaste.

When "nothing gold can stay" came up in Garry Marshall's Sphinx-like riddle, I had a sudden and vivid flashback to Middle School English class.

• Like 2

When "nothing gold can stay" came up in Garry Marshall's Sphinx-like riddle, I had a sudden and vivid flashback to Middle School English class.

PLEASE! Call him Ponyboy.

• Like 1

I've tried listening to the Folgelnest Files and really wanted to like it. I even sort of felt bad for not giving it more of a chance. His awkward, too-eager appearance on this, everyone's favorite podcast, has eliminated that lingering doubt. Thankfully PFT was around to actually make this funny, and he did an amazing job as usual of keeping things on track despite Jake's apparent incomprehension of the basics of his character bits.

So nice work, Scott and Paul for keeping this episode hilarious, despite the constant attempted derailing by Folgelnest. Julie was quiet but funny, and she did a good job getting into the joke on WYR.

• Like 2

It's not showing the new episode on iTunes, is anyone else having this problem?

Paul and Julie are dressed so nicely! Everyone should dress this nice for a podcast.

RIP Werk it.

I totally forgot about the weird family of beatniks who play music to slideshows. I saw them once in a small room and the daughter left the stage to get the dog and then the dog ran around for awhile. They played EGGS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtaEwAP4Ok4

^"kick in the crotch"

It's not showing the new episode on iTunes, is anyone else having this problem?

Yeppers.

Earwolf has been slacking getting their episodes on iTunes recently.

maybe you try napster?

• Like 1

Love the Robert Frost reference. That poem was the theme for our high school commencement so it somehow got stuck in a disused corner of my head. Also, we had a neighborhood tough named S.E. Hinton who would extract milk money by copy-editing your essays until you cried.

Look, I didn’t come here to yell at you, okay? I came to tell you I know what it feels like to be afraid to show who you are. I was. But not anymore. And the thing is, I don’t care what people think about me because I believe in myself and I know that things are going to be OK. But even though I have no family, and no job, and no money for college, I know what's funny.

A) Violates a moral or social norm

B) Is benign

C) Is reconcilable

then it's funny! You want your joke to be edgy and disrupt some kind of social more, but it also needs to be clear that everything is totally and completely fine. Just do that and you're funny!

The almost-NNF ending made me do a Pardo blurt-laugh.

If a show is up on the Earwolf site, it means it's been pushed out to the feeds (including iTunes). If there are feed issues, alert the Earwolf staff so they can investigate where the problem is happening.

Look, I didn’t come here to yell at you, okay? I came to tell you I know what it feels like to be afraid to show who you are. I was. But not anymore. And the thing is, I don’t care what people think about me because I believe in myself and I know that things are going to be OK. But even though I have no family, and no job, and no money for college, I know what's funny.

A) Violates a moral or social norm

B) Is benign

C) Is reconcilable

then it's funny! You want your joke to be edgy and disrupt some kind of social more, but it also needs to be clear that everything is totally and completely fine. Just do that and you're funny!

Question. What?

• Like 1

So nice work, Scott and Paul for keeping this episode hilarious, despite the constant attempted derailing by Folgelnest. Julie was quiet but funny, and she did a good job getting into the joke on WYR.

One of the things I enjoy most about CBB is that people have really varying interpretations of guests' intentions and dynamics. It's like life, where you just care for some, and not care for others. I found Jake to be, as he always is, to be delighted to be there and always enjoying himself. I had an initial thought that the two main guests are used to being the alpha hosts of their own shows and how that would play out, but it worked out fine (in my opinion).

Since Garry Marshall has become such a CBB mainstay, does the real Mr. Marshall know of it? Do you think he even understands the concept of podcasts?

• Like 1

I can assure you we aren't slacking. It's an iTunes thing that I emailed them about this morning. I went in and manually refreshed all our feeds, so we're good now, but hopefully they get it sorted on their end soon. I've seen other podcasts having the same problem.

• Like 6

If a show is up on the Earwolf site, it means it's been pushed out to the feeds (including iTunes). If there are feed issues, alert the Earwolf staff so they can investigate where the problem is happening.

Just saw this. Thanks for stepping up Caroline! You still got it!

Fogelnest haters can sit on it*. He's great and so is the Fogelnest Files!

Also, there has been like 4 or 5 episodes in the past couple months that after listening to them I think "That might have been the best episode ever." This was another one of those.

*penis, thumb or feelings

• Like 10

Picking this years top 10 is going to be tough. I wish there was reference to Garry's marraige to Gillian Jacobs (especially since Garry mentioned his assumedly dead wife), but irritating pedantry aside, this episode was fantastic. Garry Marashall has evolved into one of my favorite characters. The volume of his voice is a great running gag, plus Fogelnest did some great suggestions to make Garry's description of his new TV show even more ridiculous.

• Like 2

I can assure you we aren't slacking. It's an iTunes thing that I emailed them about this morning. I went in and manually refreshed all our feeds, so we're good now, but hopefully they get it sorted on their end soon. I've seen other podcasts having the same problem.

I meant no offense, Jeff. My apologies for suggesting it was Earwolf's fault. I appreciate all of the quality programming you produce.