🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 49 — Cobra: LIVE!

Imagine Dirty Harry but more violent and with robots. Our two special guests Brian Posehn and Rhett Miller joined us to talk about Cobra on this week’s How Did This Get Made? LIVE at Bumbershoot! We discuss everything from Stallone’s obsession with food, the modeling shoot music video, and the New Order’s decision to attack in bright daylight. That’s not all, we also open it up to questions and hear about Jason’s childhood fear of killer clowns. Feel the heat! Be sure to get tickets to the JUST ADDED 10pm How Did This Get Made? LIVE show from The Bell House in New York featuring a new movie and new guests!

I know exactly what he means about the clowns. There was a lot of clown talk on the playground in elementary school.

• Like 1

I know what Jason is talking about. There was this weird urban legend about murderous clowns in ice cream trucks when I was a kid.

Such a great show. Some of the live shows have been the best this podcast has to offer. This one now joins the ranks of the likes of Birdemic and Superman III. Brian Posehn is a perfect fit for this show.

When I was a kid I remember there being urban legends of roving gangs trying to catch kids, most used puppies or candy to get you to go with them, but I also remember the clowns. There is a book series that talks called Weird "insert state or USA", they talked about the clown gangs as well and even creepier things like the Bunny Man who would try to kidnap kids in some woods outside a town while wearing a dirty pink bunny outfit. You are not alone Jason.

I've always have had a crippling fear of clowns! Movies like Funhouse and Poltergeist (isn't that a toy clown that pulls Carolanne under the bed?) ruined any kind of pleasantries I may have had towards clowns in my youth. Oh and then of course Pennywise came along and solidified my fear. Shakes The Clown didnt really help their cause either.

I'm with ya too Jason!

I agree with Jason. There were constant rumors of people dressed up as clowns, particularly as Homey the Clown from In Living Color, attacking and abducting kids when I was about 11.

• Like 1

This episode, and this forum thread, makes me want to know more about Jason's childhood!

There were a couple of things I'm surprised were missed, such as the fact that the "Cobramobile" was in fact Stallone's own car, that along with Gonzales, the weasel-y cop was also from Dirty Harry (he was the Scorpio Killer), or Gonzales' revelation as to what the Zombie Squad was: THE BOTTOM LINE.

Another fun fact, Brian Thompson (aka Gaunt Arnold Schwarzenegger) has actually show up in a lot of B-Movie stuff, like the second Mortal Kombat movie, and had a regular appearance on The X-Files as a alien bounty hunter.

Nothing beats the Robert Tepper "No Easy Way Out" montage from the previous year's "Rocky IV", which seriously STOPPED in the middle of the film to recap everything that had happened in the first half in music video form as Rocky drove around for a while. You could seriously replace the national anthem with any song from the "Rocky IV" soundtrack, because it's LITERALLY that good.

I just watched the photo shoot montage and based on that alone makes this movie the greatest.

For real, Stallone is trying to match a police composite to fingerprints? Now I have to get a copy because I don't believe that someone can put such ridiculousness in a film.

For real, Stallone is trying to match a police composite to fingerprints? Now I have to get a copy because I don't believe that someone can put such ridiculousness in a film.

Oh they did. As Jason says, "the thing is you guys, he did write that down on paper."

I cannot get over the fact that Sly wanted the author of the book to put Sly's name on the book and re-release it. That's fucking bananas.

• Like 2

I cannot get over the fact that Sly wanted the author of the book to put Sly's name on the book and re-release it. That's fucking bananas.

I guffawed at that. Somehow, I don't think it was out of hubris, I just think Sly didn't know how "books" work.

• Like 3

This is one of my favorites for so many reasons.

But it's the little touches that really do it for me.

Foremost among them is the amount of saliva ejected from the Nightslasher's mouth every time he calls Stallone "Pig."

That, and the fact the the Nightslasher cult doesn't discriminate. Check out the bald guy with the three piece suit at one of their axe-clanking sessions.

It's glorious.

business-axe.jpg

• Like 1

I guffawed at that. Somehow, I don't think it was out of hubris, I just think Sly didn't know how "books" work.

Agreed. Not hubris, but a lack of understanding. About anything.

How did this movie not have Jason screaming like some of the previous episodes (Battlefield Earth)? I was baffled for most of the run time.

The book this movie was based on was the same one that spawned the William Baldwin/Cindy Crawford flick "Fair Game," and it was written by Paula Gosling. That Stallone asked her to take her name off the novel just screams "bad romantic comedy premise."

THEY DIDNT EVEN MENTION HE HAS A MATCH IN HIS MOUTH THE ENTIRE FREAKIN FILM WHY SLY WHY

So that he could set that one guy on fire, duh.

Speaking of which, that was a steel mill at the end?? I just figured it was a factory that made nothing but FIRE.

• Like 2

Great Episode! Poor Jason.... Anti Clown solidarity!

And please never ever say Brigitte Nielsens name like that again. Don't know how this is how you pronounce the name in the US, but it's wrong....just so damn wrong.

Sign in to follow this