🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 11 — J J J is for Julie!

The iconic Julie Brown comes by the studio and drops knowledge about MTV, comedy songs, and how to handle crotchety game show hosts on this edition of THE FOGELNEST FILES! Jake talks to her about what it was like to be on a game-changing episode of Laverne and Shirley, how she got MTV to come west, and her wonderful work in Earth Girls Are Easy. Things get crazy as they also discuss the menace of Chuck Woolery and the increasing battiness of Victoria Jackson. Plus, some great clips of Julie’s music like "The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun,” Weird Al Yankovic on Just Say Julie, and the unreleased pilot for "Julie Brown - The Show."

I kind of miss the early days of Comedy Central when you could watch reruns of "The Kids in the Hall," "Just One of the Guys" and "Earth Girls Are Easy" every single day. "Earth Girls" is still my favorite LA movie. (Sorry, "Repo Man.") And later, "Strip Mall" was my jam. I love Julie Brown forever.

Ahhh love this podcast! julie is such a good guest..oh and the fact that jake said the dum dum girls or bands like that should cover one of those songs made me squeal! a cover by any of them would be fuckin fantastic

• Like 1

HOW AWESOME IS JULIE BROWN?!

She is so awesome! My dad played her albums when I was a wee'un so they're etched into a cozy part of my mind. I'm so glad she's remained sane, especially in light of the discussion about Victoria Jackson.

I hold her in esteem alongside Cassandra Peterson (Elvira) and Cyndi Lauper as awesome 80's lady icons who've only become more awesome as time has gone on.

Edit: P.S. I am proud to serve in my capacity as one of the nice people on the Earwolf forum!

Julie is one of my favorite memories of early MTV. Me, my sister and my mom used to love watching her show. And as I recall, my mom used to sing a pretty great rendition of 'Cause I'm a Blonde'.

I have got to say, I am still loving people making fun of how bat shit crazy Victoria Jackson is.

Also Julie Brown was just awesome, I wasn't sure going into the episode not being familiar with her but she was just fantastic.

Julie was soooooo delightful I hope she does make her Earwolf rounds.

Julie Brown: The Show was absolutely amazing! Too bad it's only 1 episode. Seems a little edgy for even CBS today?

Also, this:

zmigzo.pngBUBBLES AS HIMSELF!!

• Like 1

That Vogue parody song was fucking brilliant. I always kind of knew Julie's name from my childhood, but I just assume that everything from that era is shitty. Julie most definitely is not and I wish I'd paid more attention to her back in the day. She's just great.

You're knocking it out of the park every week, Jake.

Have you thought about selling T-shirts through the Earwolf store? I'd love to do my part to advertise.

Thanks so much! Would love to do a t-shirt! As the show grows, I promise Earwolf will do one!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this