🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

A few weeks ago I would have defended this movie. Like Remo Williams, it's one of those 80's flicks that people love more the longer they go without having seen it. I saw a good chunk of Buckaroo Banzai recently and, wow, it is bad. Imagine Pluto Nash with a tiny budget and edited by someone freebasing PCP.

• Like 1

I attempted to watch the entire movie to see if I could enjoy it as a cult classic. I couldn't do it.

This movie has already been done by the other bad movie podcast, Yeah Its That Bad. I hope i do not get banned for stating this. But both podcasts are good IMO and can co exist.

@jimkiler:

I trust they gave a considerable amount of attention to Vincent Schiavelli.

Hes a nuero-surgeon/test rocket truck driver by day, a guitar wielding 80s rocker by night. Thats right...its The adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th dimension!! If this movie doesnt make you swear off Jeff Goldblum or Peter Weller movies forever, I don't know what will!

MV5BMTM0MDQxMjA3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQxOTU4MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Anyone that doesn't like this movie is bad and they should feel bad!

• Like 2

What I like about this movie is the ending, is got to be the most crazy ending to a film. you never do a ending like that now. with them walking together in a group. it's so odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqJ3iGBdOo

Can you imagine the director, looking at this film in the editing room and thinking to him self. you know what this movie really really needs is at the ending is for all of the actors to go for a long walk as a group and we need some sorta music that fits in with that mood.

• Like 2

You could be right about that. I love Wes Anderson movies btw. but he does that style of filming at the beginning of his movies too. with the doll house style fliming as I call it. I like how they say at the end of Buckaroo that to watch for the second insultment, what's up with that? is that a inside joke like Mel Brooks History of the World: Part I?

They were actually planning on making a sequel but it never came together. I think MGM owned the rights, but then they went into bankruptcy so who knows. I doubt they could make anything as good and weird as the first one so it's probably for the best.

Buckaroo actually reminds me a bit of Doctor Who, they both kind of drop you off into the middle of the story and assume you can catch up.

I haven't listened to the commentary in awhile but I'm pretty sure Anderson mentions that he got the idea from Buckaroo but I'm not sure. I really like the end of Life Aquatic but when Powerman kicks in at the end of The Darjeeling Limited, I think that might be my favorite ending to any movie, all the way to the end of the credits.

This is one of may very favorite movies. FIVE STARS! It fall deeply into b-movie territory and does it in style. Plus I really want to Jason talk about the alien names like John Yaya, John Smallberries and everyones favorite John Bigbooté!

Yeah, what the hell, this movie fucking rules. It's totally campy and tongue in cheek. Christopher Lloyd's character is named John Bigbootay, fer chrissakes; some other characters are Reno Nevada, Perfect Tommy, and Penny Priddy. The whole thing is like being dropped into a the middle of a Marvel comic from the 1970s or something. The scene where Buckaroo's band is playing at the club and he stops the music: "Wait, stop the song, is... somebody crying out there?" is one of the silliest scenes in an exceedingly silly and entertaining movie.

"Go, Big Booty. Use more honey. Find out what she knows."

buckaroo-banzai-brain-port-lizardo-whorfin-lithgow.jpg

eta: That credits sequence is the shit! Buckaroo Banzai is on Netflix, for anyone who wants to make up their own mind.

it is truly one of the most pointless and boring movies that i have ever seen. it is not even funny! it is just a group of pretentious actors walking around thinking they are being funny and not at all succeeding. tank girl is a great example of what this film should have been, but isn't.

You know what, I think I can immediately tell if we're gonna be friends or not -- if you think Tank Girl is a great movie and Buckaroo Banzai is boring and pretentious, don't let the door hit your ass.

• Like 2

uh... guys? this is a GOOD movie, with a cult following. it has no place on HDTGM!!!

seriously this is one my dad's favorite films.

-john bigbootie

• Like 1

The title alone is HDTGM material

How the hell have they not done this one yet?

From IMDB:

Adventurer/surgeon/rock musician Buckaroo Banzai and his band of men, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, take on evil alien invaders from the 8th dimension.

Also the crazy costumes,the sets,John Lithgow going bonkers,actually there's a lot of bonkers things in this movie

Trailer:

I LOVE this movie, and would enjoy hearing it discussed by Paul, June, Jason and guest (I'd pick Paul F. Tompkins). This movie defines bananas filmmaking, but it all somehow works. Like a hyper-creative, comic book-addict's script come to celluloid life.

The "Wait, stop the song, is... somebody crying out there?" scene is brilliant. Like the rest of this fun, highly entertaining and crazy film, this scene just goes for the gold with gusto.

I dunno, I never found this movie bonkers enough. I kept feeling like I should just be watching Flash Gordon instead, which is way more bonkers and way more fun. Maybe because I didn't see it until I was an adult? I might hold it in higher bonker-regards if I saw it as a kid.

I dunno, I never found this movie bonkers enough. I kept feeling like I should just be watching Flash Gordon instead, which is way more bonkers and way more fun. Maybe because I didn't see it until I was an adult? I might hold it in higher bonker-regards if I saw it as a kid.

I did first see this film when I was a kid. It was, at that point, the most bizarrely fun movie I had ever seen. Watching it again as an adult, the fun was there, but so was the schlockiness. I can't see a picture like this getting made in todays movie-making climate, if for no other reason than it's wholly original and takes a lot of chances.

I like that the movie just drops us in this world, asking us to accept that our hero is an already well established and ultra famous scientist/spy/rockstar/ninja/fashion plate/etc, with a loyal following and a network of colorfully named and outfitted cohorts (I had the biggest crush on the chiseled blonde dude in BB's gang when I was younger, and still kinda do today).

Action, humor, and WTF moment, akimbo. It's all in there, wrapped in a theme song that will burrow its way through your skull.

(((BUMP))) again!

• Like 1