🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode BO2012.2 — Best of 2012 Pt 2

Wait no longer as the conclusion of the Comedy Bang Bang Best of 2012 is here! We’re counting down the top five episodes as chosen by the listeners and of course more special b-b-b-bonus clips. Join Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins to see which episodes went head to head for the number one spot and we’ll see you in 2013!

I have really mixed feelings about the first picture. It's awesome, but I don't like seeing a distinguished gentleman like Paul F. Tompkins in such a subservient position. Yes, these are my 3am thoughts.

• Like 1

After the Tim Heidecker bonus clip, when PFT goes "my life," I was expecting Scott to yell out a "MY LIFE!" Very disappointing.

The Idler Whittles Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Scott and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Free-Style Raps Will Ever Do,

• Like 4

I could complain about the rankings BUT how can I be mad when we had TWO AND A HALF renditions of comedy legends Paul F Tompkins and Scott Aukerman singing the Mos Eisly Cantina theme!

• Like 5

It is a TRAVESTY that Raisin Norman Bates is not on this list!

It had TWO classic segments. Not only did we have the preview to the amazing/brilliant Ice T television show, Planet Centaur - which hit every single hilarious quirk PFT has put into that character and that pulled some great improved scenes (... sorry) out of the guests - but we had the SINGLE GREATEST game of Would You Rather ever!

That Would You Rather makes you hate every other Would You Rather you've ever heard. Every single guest gets huge laughs, the escalation (Are they sentient, living beings? Can you fall in love with them? Is one of them a Greg Proops avatar?) is so fluid and builds on the ridiculousness of the last question, and the answers they all eventually give are so true to the characters we've heard the entire episode that it adds an emotional edge and logic to the utter insanity and complete hilarity that we've experienced. It had two CBB superstars doing two classic characters and a very accomplished improviser (and Chalktah sp?) humming along at full speed, each topping each other at every turn.

I mean, I loved most of the episodes on this list, and it's not an indictment of that, but Raisin Norman Bates is the pinnacle of this show for me (well, Time Bobby was great for its oddness and ability to push what this show can do) and it needs our respect. This was four pros just destroying for an hour. The energy went nowhere but up (and started at a high place), kept introducing new pieces that were then incorporated into the rest of the show, showcased the best of all four guests, and most of all, just kept getting funnier and funnier.

Jesse "The Bill" Ventura, people! What have you done?!!??

• Like 5

One of my favorite things that Scott & Paul do when working together is they get nerdy. On the Doug Loves Movies 'Tournament of Championships 2' (where Scott, Paul, and Samm Levine competed), not only did Scott & Paul break into the Mos Eisley Cantina theme in front of a live audience, but they also role-played a short-but-oh-so-sweet Marvel Team-Up of the Thing and the Silver Surfer.

These two gents make my week, every week.

P.S. Andy Daly rules, I love all his characters, and his trilogy of shows with Scott and Jason Mantzoukas are three of my favorite episodes ever ('Wipeout!,' 'Mayor of Hollywood,' and 'Introducing Rocky!').

• Like 1

When Weird Al showed up, I thought for a split second that he was going to tell Scott and Paul to keep it down on their 'Best Year Ever' show, because Weird Al was trying to record a show right on the other side of the wall, and he was there first.

"I MEAN, PAUL!!! You have got to keep it down!"

• Like 3

i am slightly angry at the sessions spoiler. its a movie that came out in the last 6 months and he gave away the ending and only said "spoiler alert" after he spoiled it. i understand if its a movie from five years ago but this is to soon

i am slightly angry at the sessions spoiler. its a movie that came out in the last 6 months and he gave away the ending and only said "spoiler alert" after he spoiled it. i understand if its a movie from five years ago but this is to soon

I could complain about the rankings BUT how can I be mad when we had TWO AND A HALF renditions of comedy legends Paul F Tompkins and Scott Aukerman singing the Mos Eisly Cantina theme!

I nearly drove off the road laughing during the second rendition , my hats off to those too.

I'm really sensitive to spoilers, and I would say this isn't a major one. He doesn't die in the course of events covered in the main body and plot of the movie. There's an epilogue at his funeral, which is many years later. Plus, he's a public figure, who is known to be dead. But I apologize if you don't like to know anything about any part of a movie.

• Like 1

Scott, do you think it's possible next year to have some sort of ranking system in the voting process? I think it skews the vote when all 10 shows we pick count the same. I think it will give more clear results as to what episode the fans loved the most

Can't wait to listen to this! (It will happen on Wendesday). Happy to see some of the episodes that made the cut.... but so far haven't seen any mention of any of Amy Philips's appearances. If none of her eps made the cut, this is a truly tragic oversite on the part of my fellow listeners! She's done some amazing character work, and gets my vote for Best New CBB Guest.

Plus, in a perfect world, she could have brought back Liza Minnelli to accept this award.

• Like 1

Scott, do you think it's possible next year to have some sort of ranking system in the voting process? I think it skews the vote when all 10 shows we pick count the same. I think it will give more clear results as to what episode the fans loved the most

I agree with this. It seemed like literally everyone thought that Wipeout and Time Bobby were going to be 1 and 2, and that Finger Guns was definitely going to be top 5. And there is no earthly reason why Best Bro Hang should be anything other than a bonus clip. A plague upon his lack of a character!

Can't wait to listen to this! (It will happen on Wendesday). Happy to see some of the episodes that made the cut.... but so far haven't seen any mention of any of Amy Philips's appearances. If none of her eps made the cut, this is a truly tragic oversite on the part of my fellow listeners! She's done some amazing character work, and gets my vote for Best New CBB Guest.

Plus, in a perfect world, she could have brought back Liza Minnelli to accept this award.

Did Amy Philips do Gweneth Paltrow? I loved that bit.

• Like 1

I doubt it... It's probably too complicated for me to figure out. Both in setting up the poll and figuring out the results.

I think the current system is interesting and actually leads to what's ACUTALLY popular, not what the super fans think is the BEST... they might not have the most perspective on which episodes are truly the most beloved. I personally think it's shocking that hundreds of people who voted for Time Bobby didn't even vote for Wipeout on their top ten ballots, but they obviously have different tastes than many of you on the boards! I could always just put in the clips that I think are the best, but the voting is fun, so I like it.

And I'm not surprised the Samberg/Pally episode got so many votes. It is one of our most downloaded and listened-to. I imagine a lot of people got into CBB from people sampling that. It's kind of like the first comic book you buy as a kid - it may not be the best one you'll ever buy, but it holds a special place in your heart.

The one thing I agree with is that the poll is skewed to the most recent episodes... the Christmas ones never get a lot of love, because they were so long ago. But I guess that's the problem with a lot of year-end lists.

Anyway, thanks for voting and having fun! We had a good year, I think. I am thankful for everyone who takes the time to listen and enjoy.

-S

• Like 8

- and yes, Amy Phillips is great! Wish her episodes got more love around here. That Gwenneth Paltrow is uncanny. She's really funny in the moment, too.

• Like 1

I got my sister into CBB by making her listen to the Gweneth Paltrow bit. Now she loves the podcast an the TV show. I told her that there wasn't any word if CBBTV was coming back for a second season and she got genuinely depressed.

I also thought there were a couple great moments from less-than-great episodes that deserved bonus clips. The slash fiction bit with Fred Savage was hysterical, and I loved Ed Helms' character coming full circle with the "I thought they were mustard packets" punch line.

Thank you for responding Scott

You make some valid points

I was just so sure when you were talking about two episodes fighting for #1 and #2 that it was between Wipeout and Time Bobby and was shocked when I heard it at #4. The mass suicide was probably my favorite moment in the show ever, but I realize without the context of hearing all of Andy's episodes before that it probably wasn't as epic

But here is to more Andy in 2013!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I might rearrange some of the top 5, but those episodes were all outstanding.

Thanks for a great year, Scott & co!

I haven't listened to this yet, because I only have dial-up at the family's house (until tomorrow), but I hope to god that my hastily chosen username and avatar get some love in this episode. I may just have to jump out of a first-floor window if it doesn't.