🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 55 — Clueless Accents

Happy 2013 race cars! Andrew Ti and the first guest of 2013 Gabe Liedman discuss clueless people who adopt an accent when ordering Mexican food, the showoffs that have taken a semester abroad, and why you shouldn’t patronize people. Everyone grow the fuck up and leave us a message about racism at (323) 389-RACE.

The reason you adopt a Spanish Accent when ordering Mexican food is because the names of the things are Spanish

My friend from DC at the El Guero Canelo:

"Can I have a TEX-a-NO burrito with carney acid-uh and pick-o dee gallow?"

Latino person behind the counter: Inquisitive look

Me Jumping in with Spanish Accent:

"Can I have a TEY-ha-NO burrito with carnay ahsahda and peek-o day guy-yo?"

*order goes according to plan, no one is confused*

You use the Spanish Accent because its confusing and stupid to say it in a different accent, delays the line and makes the people behind you impatient as you try to translate what the hell you want. People who make an effort to use the right accent when ordering foreign food should be praised for trying to streamline the process, not called racists. This isn't insulting the race of anyone, it's just saying use the right language in the right place, Spanish when ordering Mexican things, French when ordering French things, etc. Just assuming everyone should understand what you mean when you say foreign words without caring about the accent is what actually starts to come closer to racism and not caring about others cultures

What if you were genuinely learning a language and were looking for opportunities to practise? You're making me feel bad because I have done this in the past.

Sign in to follow this