Episode 6 — Swim Toward The Light

39 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

The sun has set and the gang has no choice other than to swim in the darkness toward the specs of light up ahead. Ell Ryan (Gerry Duggan) summons his spirit bear to gain an advantage while Amarth Amon (Brian Posehn), Blackee Green (Blaine Capatch), and Bartho Shett (Ken Daly) paddle their way toward the light using the sail that Mildred Maxton (Sarah Guzzardo) managed to rig. The dungeon master (Mr. Sark) will be their guide to what lies ahead in this pitch-dark night. Plus, the gang announces their alignments and tell us about Brian’s past D&D character, a pickle loving Jackie Chan.

#2 RIP Spirit Bear

\\\ ^[o.o]^ ///

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Please don't Ned Stark this.

#3 Cabbagehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Shit's getting real.

#4 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Loved the ending.

#5 Kodo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

So...any guesses as to what creature they're battling? The floating ship makes me think they are playing an Eberron campaign. Not too sure about other settings, don't know much about them other than Forgotten Realms.

#6 Charles H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Am I wrong or has BlackyGreen the warlock not used a spell this entire thing?

#7 Corky Kneivel

Mezmo the Mezterious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSacramento Comedy Spot

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

This podcast has ignited in me a burning yearning to play D&D and/or Pathfinder. It’s also got me scouring the inter-web for other D&D podcasts. However, everything I’ve found pales in comparison to this one for a few reasons:
  • These are professional comedians and/or writers. The jokes between them aren’t just dork banter and there isn’t a bizarre deference to the Alpha-Dork among them. Even when they aren’t funny they’re funny about how unfunny they’re being. It’s like MST3King a D&D campaign.
  • This DM is fucking great. I’m into it for the story of it and the details he brings. A podcast of dice rolls and in-jokes would be boring as shit. This guy, unlike nay others I’ve found, paints the scene incredibly well. On the PvsP/Penny Arcade D&D Podcast the DM is good at acting out the bad guys moves but then he lets the players just talk and talk and push him around. Sark does a good job of balancing story teller, referee, player, & zookeeper.
  • This group has played together so long they have a rhythm to how they play and know each other’s playing styles. It comes through.
  • Blackie Greene, Spirit Bear, the shittily named Armoth Amon just charging ahead and destroying things then stopping to think about if he should have, a fair dwarven girl everyone still calls ugly and gay, & nu-id druids. PLEASE MORE BLAINE CAPATCH COMMERCIALS.

#8 tiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMpls Mn

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Wow! Love the ending! Also glad to hear this an ongoing recording. Real danger at every turn, cool monsters(?) and the unknown setting has me begging for more!

LOVE IT!

#9 pongo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

So how long do we have to wait until the promo code in the commercials is bear.

#10 donaldj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Nerd Poker is quickly becoming one of my more anticipated podcasts. Sark is doing an excellent job as a ring leader here, he seems to know when to rein in the gang but stil lets them riff long enough to be entertaining.

I'd love to see some more in-depth nerding about D&D rules and strategy, but that may isolate some of those less familliar with the game.

Excellent ending to this episode. Can't wait for the next one.
donaldj - Future Boffin, Hobby Improvisor.

#11 RIP Spirit Bear

\\\ ^[o.o]^ ///

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostCharles H, on 02 January 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

I was wondering the same thing this morning, looks like a level 1 Warlock in 4e has a damage spell and some kind of interrupt thing.

This show could use a wiki to reference since both the listeners and the party seems to forget what happened previously pretty often :P

#12 modeminitstring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationthe boonies of Iowa

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Previous Exploits in Nerd, Nerd Heritage, Pio-Nerding in the Past, From the Vault of Nerd, Remember When.., The Nerd Old Days, Ghosts of the Nerdy Past.
***CARRIER LOST***

#13 Inthehallwaynow

the captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

i love brian's breathing! dont worry bout it man!

#14 Kodo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostCharles H, on 02 January 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

He unleashed some kind of spell 'blast' that had everyone holding their noses. That's all I remember.

#15 punkrockcaveman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think they should draw their characters on the table, kinda like in that picture under Steve Agee's name

#16 donaldj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

How about "A Brief History of Shit We Did In The Past" for the tales from past adventures segment? Or, "Remember That Time When Something Awesome Happened?"?
donaldj - Future Boffin, Hobby Improvisor.

#17 Kodo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

'Legends Of Might & Morons'

#18 Ben K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I love this podcast! Agree with what other people have said above - everyone is hilarious and good natured, and Sark as a DM is incredible. I was so roped into the first story, that all got thrown out, and this second bit he's got going is equally intriguing.

#19 Ferdynand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMexico City

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

So, in D&D terms darkness means death? Or is there a chance my favorite character is alive? And by that I mean the bear.

#20 RIP Spirit Bear

\\\ ^[o.o]^ ///

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I can't really see them killing Ell Ryan off so early. I understand Sark stated he'd kill any or all of them at any time, but hey this is broadcast entertainment. Maybe he'll come back as Ell Ryan the White ala Gandolf. Or he'll just wake up somewhere next episode.