🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 6 — Swim Toward The Light

Names for the shit-that-happened-in-earlier-adventures segment

"A Song of Dice and Ire"

"That's how we rolled"

Also can I say as someone who played 2nd edition in his teens and is now in his mid thirties I'm finding listening to this an alarmingly resonant and emotional experience. its awesome, keep it up.

• Like 2

For the retelling of glorious tales I suggest F*cked-up Fantasy Flashbacks. And for extra nerdy moments you can refer to it as F3.

This F3 moment was brought to you br DammitallTM .

Has your fighter been fried by a lightning bolt? Has your wizard been wacked by an axe? Give them DammitallTM this round and they'll be back in the battle next round! DammitallTM, sold in 2d8, 2d10, and now the new 3d12 sizes!

Found at Adonis's Apothecary on the leech and newt aisle!

Sarc, I wanted to mention something about the probabilities when you have two people working together on a task. Way back in episode one or two, you made the difficulty of one person opening a door 15, and of two people openning it 8 for each of them. If each had a strength modifier of +4, then each one has a 50% chance of openning the door, with two trying in succession having a probability of 75%. For both to roll 8 or better, they only had a 72% chance of success. The problem is more pronounced if they have strength modifiers of 0. Then there is a 51% chance of openning the door if two people try in succession, but only 42% chance if two try together. You might want to change your way of assigning difficulty when people work together. Something like adding the two characters' modifiers and making one role against the same difficulty, or decreasing the difficulty by more than 1/2, would work better with the probabilities I imagine you want.

Loving the show. Thanks for sharing your play with us!

Great episode. Loved the cliff-hanger ending.

I just wanted to make a quick point about D&D/role playing: Racism belongs in D&D. Racism is to D&D as ketchup is to french fries. Anyone who's ever played knows that in-game racism adds so much RP flavour to the game that to avoid it would make for a boring campaign. It's just probably better if they stick to D&D racial slurs and avoid any real-world racism on account of people not knowing how to take a joke anymore. I'll reference last years rape fiasco on that point as this is very much a public game. That being said; I thought it was hilarious when they were recapping the "Pickle-loving Jackie Chan" character and Brian was embarrassed to do his racially insensitive Asian impression/Jackie Chain voice. I think embarrassing white people with racially-skewed public awkwardness is one of the most hilarious things you can pull. That reminds me of a racially-skewed public awkward D&D situation I had about a year ago:

I was playing with a group in the back corner of a comic book store and I was sitting with my back to the door and the rest of the store. I was playing a Human Paladin and one of the guys in the group was playing a Chaotic/Neutral Drow Bard. The bard had just done something incredibly foolish and (as far as my character was concerned) morally reprehensible and (in character and in my outside voice) I shouted "YOU BLACK BASTARD!" expecting uproarious laughter, but the entire group (of white guys) got really quiet and looked down at their character sheets. What I didn't know (because my back was turned away from the rest of the store) was that the only black guy that I have -to this day- ever seen in the store was standing directly behind me. Luckily, he was also a nerd, had been listening to the game, knew that my buddy was a Drow, and that I was referring to the character and not to him and started laughing. But for about two seconds I thought the guys I was rolling with were going to shit their pants, and that was one of the greatest awkward pauses I have ever been part of.

kill yourself

but the entire group (of white guys) got really quiet and looked down at their character sheets.

this means you did A Bad Thing. These are social queues that what you are doing is making you a social fucking pariah. racism is bad you dense man child god nerds are the worst.

Racism belongs in D&D.

racism doesn't belong anywhere you dunce. god every time i look at this post i find something offensive it's like a matryoshka doll except instead of smaller and smaller russian dolls it's an offensive turd of ever-increasing size and there's no fucking bottom

Edited by dopelord420

kill yourself

this means you did A Bad Thing. These are social queues that what you are doing is making you a social fucking pariah. racism is bad you dense man child god nerds are the worst.

racism doesn't belong anywhere you dunce. god every time i look at this post i find something offensive it's like a matryoshka doll except instead of smaller and smaller russian dolls it's an offensive turd of ever-increasing size and there's no fucking bottom

"rac·ism

/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun

• The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as..." Yeah, that shouldn't exist in D&D.

"rac·ism

/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun

• The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as..." Yeah, that shouldn't exist in D&D.

Ahaha look at you. stroke your neckbeard more while you post or, alternatively, jump down all the stairs you can find???

When I speak of racism in regards to D&D I'm talking about the clearly mapped racial tensions/hate between the actual races of the D&D universe. The hate between Dwarves and Orcs, for example. These racial tensions are clearly listed in the description of each playable race. They exist to generate turmoil between diametrically-opposed player characters and create role playing opportunities that enrich the story environment by creating new challenges to players and GM's alike. Also, before I began the story, the point that I was trying to make was to keep real-world racism out of the game.

In this case my character was role playing his hate for the largely evil subterranean race known as the Drow, who are not of African-decent but who's skin tone is quite literally pitch black. I unfortunately utilized a racial slur that has roots in the real world while there was a member the offended race in the room, unbeknownst to me, creating an awkward situation. The humour in the story comes from the response of my friends to my ill-timed use of a perfectly reasonable slur against an imaginary race. Furthermore; if the guy that was in the room got the joke/understood the RP, laughed, and took no offence from my completely innocent slur against that imaginary race, why should anybody else take offence from the story?

For an entertaining take on racial profiling in D&D, and maybe some remedial education about the game, you can check out "Dungeon Bastard" on Youtube. You won't even have to try to read.

Oorrrr! Or or or or or. Or maybe you should take into account that you don't live in a black-people-less vacuum and that maybe you should think that shouting things like "you black bastard" in public is bad no matter what the context and that maybe "my black friend who is totally cool with it guys don't worry hahahahaha" isn't actually cool with it but is in a room full of white people he wants to stay friends with and is playing along not to cause a scene! Maybe the fact that you did something that made your friends super awkward means you did something super awkward cause you're a super awkward nerd!! :o :o :o

Good times were had by all. The awkward part of the story is the funny part. I don't have problem being a nerd and I enjoy manufacturing awkward situations. That being said; this situation was a happy accident that turned out really great.

I might have missed it earlier, but was it ever explained as to what happened to the female hostage? I had thought she was brought along with the party to the second pontoon.

Enjoying the show. Keep up the fun.

I believe she was brought along to the second pontoon and then was forgotten about and likely left to drown when that pontoon sank. I think they may have disregarded her as soon as they decided not to use the corpses they found to add buoyancy to their "rafts".

I believe she was brought along to the second pontoon and then was forgotten about and likely left to drown when that pontoon sank. I think they may have disregarded her as soon as they decided not to use the corpses they found to add buoyancy to their "rafts".

That's a good reply as any. ^_^

Thanks! It was something that kept bugging me.

I am officially in love with Nerd Poker. Ell Ryan and the Spirit bear fill me up with so much joy...I hope that they did not meet their untimely end here. Ell Ryan is a boss.

Sign in to follow this