🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JustinL

Second Opinion: SEASON OF THE WITCH

This one was a little easier. Only 34 five-star reviews.

Five-Star Reviews of Season of the Witch

NEARLY PERFECT..., July 30, 2011

By G. Bowman Jr. "GBJ" (Greater Washington DC Metro Area)

That perfect Fantasy, Horror bewitching movie has yet to be made however, "SEASON OF THE WITCH" is surprising drama, thrilling and almost suspenseful. "Nicolas Cage" adds enough seriousness to his role to sell the idea of curiosity; "Where is this film going?," while keeping the balance between a Disney flick, and something possibly more serious. "Ron Perlman" delivers as Cage's character's faithful friend, and fellow warrior. Director "Dominic Sena" was merely a couple of hairs away from actually making a scary, suspenseful and memorable Fantasy/Horror film. But since no one else has yet, I'll settle for a nearly perfect "SEASON OF THE WITCH"... ---GBJ

fun, uncheesy, March 4, 2012

By .fgd (usa)

A good blend of realism and fantasy as demonology versus the sadism of the catholicc church in medaevel times (quite real under the inquisition) and strange to admit since 9/11 Christian jihad during the crusades. I love this fantasy supposition that the plague was called down by witches angered by persecution and resurrected by a book of incantation neither originated by exorcists or witches and a nice action movie to boot.

Nicholas Cage is well cast although unintentionally humorous in an unshaven hay-seed way with yet a chewy moral voice.

A lot of fun and colorfully serious.

Season of the witch, August 1, 2011

By pigpen

It was a great movie movie and just what I needed to see at this time, I needed a good laugh and it was interesting to boot. Great movie.

Excellent , Fun, PG-13 Movie, July 2, 2011

By TrailsEndWild "Writer/Researcher" (Eastern Woodlands, USA)

Too many reviewers are taking themselves too seriously and then getting mad about this film. Unlike most of the reviewers, this film does not take itself too seriously. Hey, it's PG-13!!! It's perfect for FAMILY FUN entertainment. If you are looking for some scary, bloody, vulgar, horror-laden, "witch movie" look elsewhere. This film is fun in the same style that Indiana Jones can be fun (and way better than the last Indy film, BTW). Sure the dialogue is choked-full of one liners (some funny, others not so much) but this film isn't striving to be an epic tale of witch trials, the inquisition and the crusades! Come on people, it's only 95 minutes long...what do you expect? I can recommend this for a fun, popcorn-munching evening. High cinema it is not. However, I suggest you bundle your young ones under the blankets, turn down the lights, and enjoy this movie. Recommended!

HONORABLE MENTIONS

"Five Star Review?" Award:

Cast is good but ok movie., August 18, 2011

By Terri (Arkansas)

I like Nicolas Cage but the movie was good not great. He is good in every other movie but this movie was the movie I liked least of his.

"Weirdest Occupation-Inspired Opinion" Award:

A TIE!

Much better than I expected, July 5, 2011

By dee_jay_a

I was surprised how clean it was; No sex, no nudity, hardly any language. Most movies now days are packed with that sort of thing, in order to cover up a lack of a plot. Maybe that's why so many people said the plot was poorly developed.

The only thing that some people might find disturbing, is that the film is very detailed when it comes to the black plague; personally, I'm in the medical field, so that sort of thing doesn't bother me as much as it would some people.

"That book has caused me untold trouble through the ages", August 27, 2011

By Richard Staats (McLean, VA USA)

If you want a heartfelt treatise that examines the nobler and gentler side of demons and devil worship, plagues and pestilence then there is nothing here for you. Put your Athame up, and cast your maledictions elsewhere.

The banter between Felson and Behmen is extremely well-done. As a combat veteran, I could imagine brothers in arms saying the quips that the two made, e.g., "not bad for a dungeon," "forget the souls, I'll take some chicken," etc.

All in all, it would be an excellent addition to any B-grade film fan's library.

In service,

Rich

Sign in to follow this