Episode 53 — Anaconda

30 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Recorded live at the Bell House with Michael Ian Black join us as we unfurl the catastrophe that is Anaconda! We discuss the cast including Jon Voight who plays his character as a French Robert De Niro from South America, Jennifer Lopez as a documentarian, and a guy named Mateo. We also talk about whether they should have let the snake talk, translation mistakes, and Jon Voight’s surprising athleticism. You mean there are snakes out there this big? Listen to find out.

#2 Picklefucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Damn, you guys got deep in this episode. I never realized there was an anaconda in all of us. I'll never sleep again.

#3 angrykirby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

Anaconda is a terrible movie but Ice Cube hits a giant snake in the head with a hatchet then calls him "bitch" so its also the best movie

Did You Notice that Jon Voight is never really in the same frame as anyone else The few times he's not isolated in frame its clearly a stand in. He mustve been Like "I aint traveling fucking anywhere just shoot me in front of a green screen at the studio near my house and figure it out in post."

#4 Gym Sockerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

Anacondiues Rexica. In which an anorexic anaconda kills his father, sleeps with his mother, and then vomits.

#5 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

This episode made my heart want to essplode. Just perfect.

#6 Jacob C

Stolen by a Mean Crab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

View Postangrykirby, on 08 January 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

Anaconda is a terrible movie but Ice Cube hits a giant snake in the head with a hatchet then calls him "bitch" so its also the best movie

Did You Notice that Jon Voight is never really in the same frame as anyone else The few times he's not isolated in frame its clearly a stand in. He mustve been Like "I aint traveling fucking anywhere just shoot me in front of a green screen at the studio near my house and figure it out in post."

That totally explains the weirdness I was feeling when watching this movie last night! You're absolutely right. There's only a couple scenes where he actually interacts with the other actors directly.

#7 pepperjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

They speak Portuguese in Brazil...

#8 Inthehallwaynow

the captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

I have always had a soft spot for crappy funny-ish large creature movies.. ive watched this movie soo many times I have never laughed soo fucking hard.. they hit on everything that makes this movie hysterical haha mr ian black is such a great addition.. as partially french voight says thank you baby bird

#9 wyldride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

Chefe is Portuguese for chief, which makes sense with them being in Portuguese speaking Brazil.

#10 Steve Henel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Magic really needs to be on the show more often. He is the crazyass Siskel to Jason's crazyass Ebert.

Man, what I wouldn't give to see a remake of Anaconda as a found footage movie with the same cast.

#11 Lando

Works every time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

So with this movie, they have done 3 out of the 5 nominees for the worst movie at the 1998 Razzies. The nominees were:
The Postman (won)
Anaconda
Batman & Robin
Fire Down Below
Speed 2

#12 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

I like to refer to anyone that busts out a Tony Montana accent in a movie as being "Scarface"-LESS-than-inspired.

Speaking of that, I've heard talks of an upcoming, modernized remake of "Scarface", which makes me wonder this: Will the new Scarface already have a "Scarface" room in his house?
Leonard Part 6: A Film Without Equel

#13 jnutt08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I like to think of Anaconda as an unofficial sequel to the movie "Deliverance." Jon Voight's character just couldn't deal with real life after the events of Deliverance so he moved down to South America and got caught up in the dangerous world of the Anaconda black market.

#14 Cabbagehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

"Or the snake is a teleporter, like the X-men Nightcrawler. Bamf!"

Awesome.

#15 Jeff Something

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Michael Ian Black was right it was a film camera, the "bullets" paul was talking about while they were wading in the water was the battery belt. At one point I. Cube is using a film changing bag.

#16 aceload

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I was completely caught off guard to see a snake in this film...so +1 for the surprise factor. I also was pleased with Martha Stuart's small yet poignant cameo appearance--she was very convincing when she sold the crew gasoline near the beginning of the film. However, all things considered, I'd have to say that Voight stole the show with his almost discernible accent and fervent South American zeal. Two words: "acting chops"--he has them. To somehow write this performance off as a cheap Pacino/Tony Montana knock-off, is just a want-to-be critic's jealousy on display.

I also like the guy who slept through most the film.

#17 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostCabbagehead, on 08 January 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

"Or the snake is a teleporter, like the X-men Nightcrawler. Bamf!"

Awesome.

That was LITERALLY my favorite part of the show. Jason says the first sentence, I say "Bamf" out loud to myself, Jason says it, the crowd cheers, and he shouts "You fuckin' nerds!"

#18 Cabbagehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Yeah I was laughing so hard, especially when he said Bamf! I was like, "YES!"

#19 NelsonTwins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

View Postwyldride, on 08 January 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Chefe is Portuguese for chief, which makes sense with them being in Portuguese speaking Brazil.

Oh stop spoiling the fun! :)

#20 jsl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Jason, I was just recently thinking about what a big deal Jennifer Lopez's butt was in the 90s. Glad someone else remembers?