🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 193 — What Else? What Else?

Scott, I am grateful for for you putting your opinion out there knowing that it may not be a popular one. I think actively having more women on the show is the best way to address it to. And let me put in another push for more Amy Phillips!

I read somewhere that Earwolf listeners are about 80% male, which is disappointing. I'm not putting that blame on Earwolf, but I think that's a reflection about comedy as a whole.

Did a woman reply to this thread at any point?

Interesting, I sometimes assume I am one of the few women who comment on this board (but you know what happens when you assume) but in no way can my opinion represent all women.

For sure, there's tons of free content for a wide variety of comedy tastes. I have nothing to really add to this so I'm just going to throw out another tangentially related qualm of mine. (Not directed at you or anyone in particular)

I despise it when people say '____ was terrible' without any legitimate criticism behind it. Everybody should learn how to analyze and provide talking points if they're going to share an opinion, and be able to search within themselves to find out why they dislike something...

New no-no, if you provide a well-thought-out opinion differing from mine, then I'll listen to it, see where you're coming from, and agree to disagree.

This post was terrible.

• Like 3

Doesn't the fact that Marissa Wompler is one of the most popular characters kind of rule out the sexism angle?

You remind me of people that will say really racist things then justify it by mentioning their one black friend.

• Like 3

It reminds me of the story Tina Fey tells about Amy Poehler in her book. When Jimmy Fallon told her not to do a crazy character she was doing, by saying it wasn't "cute." Like that's all we want our female comedians to do. I don't know...

I think about this quote ALL the time. Especially when debates like this flare up.

I'll admit that the first Nancy Cooper ep I heard last year wasn't my favorite. I don't think it's a case of male/female. It's who the character is. Her voice is annoying, but that's obviously the point of this character. She isn't supposed to be a regular sweet 22 year old girl. She's supposed to have a bunch of character flaws. This last episode was easier to listen to for me. I don't know if it's because I was already familiar with her or if the character is new-ish and she's growing into the character and it's more comfortable...? Either way. She was funny both times. Who cares about the rest.

Listen, i totally dig the ladies. I mean, they rev my engine. But they don't belong in the newsroom.

Paul Rust sounds like Neil Campbell with a stuffed up nose. Or, Neil Campbell sounds like Paul Rust if his nose were once clogged, and then unclogged.

• Like 1

You remind me of people that will say really racist things then justify it by mentioning their one black friend.

Amen to that.

But it does also make the point that the reason that Wompler is so popular is because she has made several appearances and a special. Her character runs deeper because she has had more air time. (Also, it's a credit to Jessica St. Clair being amazing, obviously). It's a chicken and egg scenario. The favorite characters get more airtime, therefore we love them more, demanding more appearances, etc. etc. So, more women getting more airtime will make them more beloved in listeners' ears. Which Scott is making an effort to do. Fantastic!

• Like 1

I'm on my fourth time listening to this. I found nothing wrong with anything about this episode; and by nothing wrong, I mean I'm still laughing like an asshole at everything. For some dumb reason I really want to know what got under Scott's skin. Please do another "Making of the Bread." Or maybe a quick "Wolf's Den" about what has you cheesed.

I think a better question is, why, when male comics do a voice, do male listeners say "that's hilarious," and when female comics do a voice, they get called whiny and annoying?

Sorry to level sexism at some of you, which I know is difficult to defend against, but this is definitely something I've noticed time after time, and I am deliberately having female guests on to combat this perception. Pam's character REALLY makes me laugh, and everything she says is gold.

its not sexism its just that annoying is annoying and little gary was also grating

From what I've read so far it seems that the scorn is directed at the female characters and not at the comedians when they're themselves (Ex: Gillian Jacobs is completely beloved). Could there be something to that?

You don't seem to have read the whole thread. That point's already been discussed.

Many of you making the point of how good some of the female characters have been on CBB have rightly been naming Lapkus, St. Clair and Parham; but please don't forget some of the fantastic character work of Chelsea Peretti as her tired lady, as well as the 'that's interesting' character.

Many of you making the point of how good some of the female characters have been on CBB have rightly been naming Lapkus, St. Clair and Parham; but please don't forget some of the fantastic character work of Chelsea Peretti as her tired lady, as well as the 'that's interesting' character.

And who can forget Natasha Legerro as "Maude"?

The obvious way to resolve this whole issue is to bring Adam Carolla and Janeane Garofalo onto the show together and have a Crossfire-style, point-counter-point debate on the subject of latent (or even outright overt) sexism in character-based comedy. That's the sort of thing that Comedy Bang Bang usually does, right?

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

I did find Nancy a little tiresome this week but mainly cause most of the material seemed to be a retread. I loved the character the first time but the bus discount, grandma in the tub and Charlie Brown's were much funnier before. Most of the repeat characters especially PFTs seem to try and go more over the top each visit. The absurdity and spontaneity of those risks are more rewarding.

One of my favorite moments of the episode was Scott trying to get Nancy to repeat the entire countdown.

And who can forget Natasha Legerro as "Maude"?

This conversation cannot be complete without mentioning the Good One Robot and the "Yeah??" lady.

When I saw the amount of comments in this thread, my assumption was that we had a severe spam problem. I'm glad that's not the case.

I think it's great that Scott said his piece, it's something we've discussed before as part of a larger discussion about internet feedback, which can be challenging to receive. But we get through it.

Congrats to Earwolf fans for being awesome, I think this thread set some sort of internet record for most thoughtful and reasonable discussion about something that is a very sensitive and polarizing topic. It makes me proud to put stuff out for such deserving people. Thanks.

• Like 8

What else? What else? What else?...You know what I'm saying...(<---that shit is funny, the voice does not matter)

Keep putting whoever and whatever characters on the show that you want Scott. I love seeing characters become more and more un-hinged. It's beautiful episodic madness.

• Like 2

If you're wearing headphones, a grating voice that is high-pitched is a little more annoying, I think. But if the voice is supposed to be grating, then everything's working appropriately, you know?

And as mentioned earlier, it's not like anyone's voice is more grating than Li'l Gary's. And Li'l Gary is the best, so.

Was great that Scott Plofferfun finally got caught with his own gotcha question. Now the income inquiry boot is on the other foot.

Please also include Sarah Silverman AND Amy Phillips doing her Sarah Silverman

in Womptacular 2: Summer Jamz.

Do you know how long I spent looking for that? GODDAMMIT!

Campbell's charac (short for character) was some of the funniest stuff I've heard on CBB in a while.