🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 193 — What Else? What Else?

Why does it seem that there are so many female characters that are just whiny, annoying idiots? Wompler and Listler and the only ones I can think of that don't fall in this category.

Lauren Lapkus's character from 182 wasn't an idiot. I hope she brings that character back actually.

I think the quality ratio is actually a lot better for the the female characters. That easy-listening radio DJ from a few episodes back was gold.

I don't really mind Nancy either, truth be told. Sometimes the funniest moments in this show come from people being deliberately unfunny.

• Like 3

I think the quality ratio is actually a lot better for the the female characters. That easy-listening radio DJ from a few episodes back was gold.

I don't really mind Nancy either, truth be told. Sometimes the funniest moments in this show come from people being deliberately unfunny.

That was Lennon Parham. She does Listler too. I take her and JSC out of this category.

Lauren Lapkus's character from 182 wasn't an idiot. I hope she brings that character back actually.

Okay, just whiny and annoying then.

I think a better question is, why, when male comics do a voice, do male listeners say "that's hilarious," and when female comics do a voice, they get called whiny and annoying?

Sorry to level sexism at some of you, which I know is difficult to defend against, but this is definitely something I've noticed time after time, and I am deliberately having female guests on to combat this perception. Pam's character REALLY makes me laugh, and everything she says is gold.

Gotta agree with the Choctaw. I think the Nancy Cooper character is hysterical. Loved this episode, Kristen Schall is just delightful!

• Like 1

I think a better question is, why, when male comics do a voice, do male listeners say "that's hilarious," and when female comics do a voice, they get called whiny and annoying?

Sorry to level sexism at some of you, which I know is difficult to defend against, but this is definitely something I've noticed time after time, and I am deliberately having female guests on to combat this perception. Pam's character REALLY makes me laugh, and everything she says is gold.

I just find the character's voice grating. I loved the majority of the episode and I think that a lot of the content that was contained in the character's narrative was funny. It's just tough to listen to. That being said, there are certain male characters too that I have the same problem with. Merrill Shindler being a prime example of this. I suppose I shouldn't have lumped all female characters together, but it does kind of detract from the listening experience when the voice is so irksome.

• Like 3

Fuck the people that don't like Nancy, do an episode with Nancy, Lauren Lapkus' character Tracy and Little Gary
I'd love to hear Marissa Wompler and Listler thrown in there. Like some kind of summer camp or something.

Please also include Sarah Silverman AND Amy Phillips doing her Sarah Silverman

in Womptacular 2: Summer Jamz.
  • Like 1

I have noticed this too. In fact, it goes beyond characters--so often, I'll see people comment "I can't stand _____'s voice" when they're talking about, say, Doug Loves Movies or Who Charted? The thing is, when people complain about men's voices, it's always a thing where I kind of felt the same thing while listening myself. Whereas often, with female comedians, it will be someone that I thought had just a normal female voice, but people are complaining about how "annoying" the voice was. So clearly there is a bias somewhere, and I don't think it's that I am biased in favor of females.

For the record, I like Nancy. I thought she was a lot funnier this time--Kristen was a great foil to her character.

I don't mean to come off like "hey you sexist weirdos!" It's just been something that's been bothering me for a while. It may be based on the high pitch of women's voices? Which they can't control. But there also may be something deeper and societal about it.

• Like 4

I don't mean to come off like "hey you sexist weirdos!" It's just been something that's been bothering me for a while. It may be based on the high pitch of women's voices? Which they can't control. But there also may be something deeper and societal about it.

That's fair. Now I just feel like a dick.

• Like 1

That's fair. Now I just feel like a dick.

Please don't! I don't mean it as a lecture - it's just a nagging thing that's been bugging me lately and I wanted to have a discussion about it.

• Like 2

Please don't! I don't mean it as a lecture - it's just a nagging thing that's been bugging me lately and I wanted to have a discussion about it.

Understandable. I guess one of the issues I've noticed too is that there are so many more options for men when it comes to impression characters (Ice-T, Jesse Ventura, Huell, etc.) for whatever reason. I suppose that breeds more of a responsibility on the female comedians to come up with their own characters more often. The only two female impression characters I can think of off the top of my head from the show are Jennifer Tilly and Gwyneth Paltrow when there has been a myriad of male impression characters.

Campbell was hilarious. Great episode and a great start to 2013 so far

Thank you Scott for giving us a b-b-b-onus-s-s-s episode and when you said you will try to do a Thursday ep 2 to 3 times a month that was the best news I've heard all day

• Like 1

Nancy also had to split her time with other joke characters in both episodes, which makes it a different dynamic. On a related note, it's sad that her fling with the Lovecraftian Orson Wells did not last.

Scott, you of all people should know that Twitter is the appropriate place to get involved in the conversation! This forum is not properly zoned for #soundingoff.

New No-No: If you release 2-3 more episodes a month, then I get to listen to them.

• Like 23

I'm glad Scott likes the character so much. That means he's less inclined to listen to these silly posts. It's really immature to say "no more of this character!" Especially since there are others who might like that character. You'd really want to deprive us of someone we like just because they don't appeal to your personal comedic tastes? What are you, powerful? What are you, some sort of congressman in Washington D.C. who proposes bills about which characters should be banned from podcasts, and you're also a clown because the circus is in town? There are hundreds of people and characters on this show. You don't like one? Skip the episode and get over it. I love ya, Nancy Cooper.

Let's get to the real question surrounding this episode: WHAT WAS THE MYSTERIOUS ADDITION TO THE PLUG BAG THEME?

• Like 11

Neil was great but things were a little awkward after Kristen's special got brought up. I think it bounced back in the second half, mostly.

HOWEVER: Since apparently, there's some debate going on, I'll just say that Pam's character just never gets old for me for some reason. It's a thin premise, but such an entertaining one.

Do we, as Earwolf listeners, really come off as sexist to the point where it's been bothering you for a while? Most of us on the forums seem like good ladies and gentlemen. I think most of us think Julia, Caroline, Shannon, Kulap, among others, hung the moon. Do you have specifics about what is bothering you?

Do we, as Earwolf listeners, really come off as sexist to the point where it's been bothering you for a while? Most of us on the forums seem like good ladies and gentlemen. I think most of us think Julia, Caroline, Shannon, Kulap, among others, hung the moon. Do you have specifics about what is bothering you?

I get what Scott is saying. He's just pointing out the double standard. He's also referring to the female comedians who do characters...not the Earwolf staff and contributors.