🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JustinL

Second Opinion: LAST AIRBENDER

You'd think M. Night Shyamalan Apologetics was a college course the way so many people decided to write five paragraph dissertations using the exact same arguments. I've spared you some of the more extraneous passages.

Five-Star Amazon Reviews of The Last Airbender

No expectations., November 27, 2010

By Steve Flynn "Steve" (Sussex County, NJ)

I purchased the DVD without any expectations and wasn't disappointed. Not knowing anything about the series helped. It was an enjoyable fantasy escape; after all that is why I watch movies, to escape not to rip them apart. It wasn't the best acting and the dialog wasn't the most natural but it made me forget the real world for a while. At 65 there is a lot to forget.

Feel Good Movie, December 19, 2012

By Teresa Clough (Joseph, Oregon)

I like this movie sure there are things thats could be better but is that not true with all things in life. Great story line, and i really enjoyed it. The story keep me wanting to see what the ending would be. Im all for a happy ending in a movie makes for a good feeling of peace.

Will be seeing it again! (Saw it again), July 8, 2010

By Michael A. Cole

I gave this film five stars because when I held the mouse cursor over the stars, the fifth one said "I love it". I loved this movie, not just like it, I loved it. I have NEVER gone back to see a movie again and this will be the first time I have ever gone back to a theater for the same movie again. I am shocked and I mean really shocked to hear this film being the worst film of the year (some say of all time). Heck, I'd give a movie that is nothing more than a bunch of idiots kicking each other's genitals 3 stars just for the fact it made me laugh until I passed out. I can't sit there and think the whole time about what I would have done differently. If one can, then they didn't go there to watch a movie. I guess I rate movies on how they make me feel and not how fake the shark looked or how I already knew Bruce Willis was dead. How I feel about a movie might be as follows: Did I fall asleep? Did I start wondering what's for dinner? Or Hey, it was alright I guess. Or I'd go see it again. And then there's... I'm gonna' get it on DVD!

Most under-rated (and berated) film of the year...., November 8, 2011

By Davide Bianchini "Rising Suns" (Saint Louis, MO)

This movie has a lot of heart, and a mystical beauty that does not seem to be valued by most people today. The earnestness of the young actors also really helped convey a sense of innocence and purity, which is so lacking in Hollywood today (even though the acting itself was not Oscar quality).

Critics seem to like movies that show us the dirt of humanity (think District 9). But most people go to the movies to be lifted up, not to see more of what we already see in the world. Critics also seem to like movies with characters who are overtly emotional and conflicted. This movie was less about showing the complicated drama of human nature, as it was about an epic story between good and evil. In this sense, the movie was extremely far-sighted. One has to be far sighted to appreciate it.

More significance than is being given credit for in this movie., December 16, 2010

By J. Munyon

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" wasn't all that well received in America; or at least not as well as it was in Eastern geography locations. Asian's tend to have a better understanding for and tolerance of the spiritual mysticisms of Buddhism and Taoism, as well as possessing an appreciation and respect for the difference between the disciplines of Sifu Kisu martial arts, as well as respect for Asian mythology, and Asian artistic expression. Americanization of North American people is only now becoming able to reverberate back from the intolerance of such diversity because of what happened at Pearl Harbor on December 7 of 1941. It will take just as much time before those born and raised in America before September 11, 2001 can be softened enough from what happened to the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City; before Middle Eastern religions or disciplines can become more easily accepted by the majority in North America.

I am fairly certain if you're steeped in staunch upbringing based upon Protestantism or Catholicism, you're not going to think much of this movie. The order I have listed the elements in this review escaped your notice altogether because you have little capacity for understanding anything not taught within the four walls of your local church. On the other hand if you have an open mind and an understanding that English isn't the only language spoken on the face of the planet, you will probably be able to appreciate there being a deeper significance to "Avatar: The Last Airbender" than simple entertainment - therefore you won't be as critical about surface details such as writing; plot; a flying buffalo; or acting. For those who look forward to future viewing of the rest of the Airbender movies, I'm in agreement.

Sit back and open your mind!, October 12, 2010

By Earl Alworth "Earlspirit" (rialto, calif)

I loved it,, constantly amazed,,,

yes the characters werent the same....thats all i heard from so many,,, that the movie was not the same as the animation series,,,,,people!!!!!! open up your mind,,,step back and take another look,,, consider that there might be more to the movie than meets the eye,,,,,..

In ending,,, if everything was the same, time after time,,,,no taking chances, no new adventures,,,just give people what they want,,,,,

Guess What? Avatar.. The last Airbender series,,,,would not have been created,,,,,we would still be watching cartoons from the 1920s....no ... we wouldnt even have that,,, because ,,, art was once to be thought as evil, antisocial,,, artists were mostly outcasts,,,art was ususally destroyed,,in wars,,, goverment take overs,,,,do you see where i am going,,,, so,,,, please,,,, sit down,,,, watch the movie, one more time,,,,no expectations,,,open mind,,,,see it like ,,,you have never seen anything like it before,,, and then see what happens,,,,

HONORABLE MENTIONS

"BEST NEW PHRASE" Award:

Watch it 100 times, it will reach you better each time!, November 21, 2010

By Matthew Kyle Buller (Lafayette, LA, US)

The special effects and story were like engaging candy.

"THAT'S ONE THEORY" Award:

A TIE!

I was astounded by this film, July 21, 2010

By Ginamarie Temoshawsky (Philadelphia, PA United States)

I know that everyone keeps complaining about the supposed bad acting of the lead role but from the beginning I had interpreted that certain flatness as a reflection of how numb and in denial the character was feeling about both his past and future. I felt like it made the fear very real.

Anime based-EFX goodness, January 24, 2011

By Coren Alan Grill "Coren" (Birmingham, AL)

I almost gave it a 4 star because of some of the acting, but as I am a very large fan of all things anime since 1993, I half wonder if the director was trying to go for that "over-the-top" American voice acting we seem to get in every anime brought to the US with the actors. So in a way, though it's live action (first dubbed TV Evangelion episode anyone?), it still fits in really well over-all after you get used to all the actors, and the plots.

BONUS CLIPPINGS

Great film, disregard the negatives, January 17, 2011

By Robert Trimble "Robert Trimble" (Southern California)

This is a great film based upon a cartoon series, it carries an excellent message for children and adults about equality and individualism. The cartoon series was written by two Americans, it is not an "asian" product, I make this distinction because many of the bad reviews are from people who falsly believe that it should be acted by asians for some reason, after-all it does not take place on Earth. Anyway, take my work for it, and rent it first, you and your kids will love it!

Pfft! Duh! Everyone knows there's no Asians in outer space!

My Favorite Movie, May 6, 2011

By C. Galacgac "Cyberfreak"

Absolutely the best in special effects and computer generated imagery. Special effects are photo realistic and cannot be distinguished from make believe. The story is mystical and of spiritual significance which is quite refreshing in this material world. The actors portrayed their characters well. Kudos to the director M. Knight Shyamalam. I was so impressed, I saw this movie over 20 times in the theater. Good thing my daughter was the theater manager. I look forward to the sequel.

I'm sure M. Night appreciates your larceny.

Totally Awesome!, February 15, 2011

By David Hudgins

The bonus materials are also great. After watching the creators of the series and M.N. Shyamalan's interviews, and the documentaries on the making of the film, I was even more impressed with it.

So you typed "Shyamalan," but couldn't muster up the effort to finish "Night"?

A new fantasy universe, August 21, 2010

By Maneesh Kumar "Maneesh Kumar" (Forest Park, IL United States)

As a side note, it would be interesting to see cursory glances that Aang is a vegetarian being brought up in future movies.

Holy FUCK! Would it EVAR!!!!1!!11!!

BONUS AWARD:

I think I'll call it the "Glenn Beck?" Award. I felt this might deserve to be printed in its entirety to illustrate the depths of insanity I witnessed. The whole thing's bananas, but my favorite part has to be the first two words of the review.

Loved it. Surprisingly good - after all of the hate directed at it., January 14, 2011

By jarredbyitall (Davison, MI United States)

In brief: This is a deeply moving, spiritual fantasy film that differs in some ways from the cartoon series on which it's based. Understand going in that it's a condensed version of 20 episodes and, as such, there were changes to be made. Any rational person could see that would be necessary. Even the creators of this series, who mixed both Western and Eastern story-telling elements, knew and approved of these changes. Many of these changes are for the better and deepen the flow, reality and, ultimately, the heart of the film. If you re-watch the first season you can see where M. Night took the heart of the episodes and crafted an even better and emotion-filled core and ending for this series.

Many of those who rallied against this film fall into one major category - obsessed fan-boys with no sense of perspective. They are a heartless bunch. Many of them even got tied up in the race of the characters - characters voiced by white actors in the cartoon, a cartoon which was created by two white dudes, and animated in style that mixes both Eastern and Western animation styles. This is a fantasy world people! And even so, M. Night took the most inclusive approach possible and said, hey let's show as many races as we can - we can have Asians, Whites, Blacks and Indians in this fantasy world. But no. The fanboys got offended and started an internet-based political movement against this film: the so-called race-bending controversy. In doing so, these fanboys became the very thing they accused the filmmakers being: flat-out racists. Racism is when you don't accept someone for the color of their skin. They couldn't accept Indian firebenders or white waterbenders. Who are the real racists here? All told, they've shown themselves to be as a whole a group of heartless, nit-picking navel-gazers, lacking the souls necessary to really appreciate this great film. They've flooded the internet with hate. They won't stop. Even now, months after the film's release, they post on message-boards (and here on Amazon) just to tell you how much they hate it. Who does that? They don't want to see a sequel - by any means necessary.

I for one want a sequel - badly. The film made over $315 million world-wide. Apparently, I'm not the only one who wants a sequel.

I love the show and I love this movie. Both have a place in my heart. I guess I root for the underdog and when so many critics rag on a film you have to take a step back and wonder what's really going on. This film made over $315 million worldwide, so there's hope for a sequel. I for one don't really get all of the hate. What film did the critics see? It seems to me like there was a studio-driven campaign against this movie to fail. Maybe one lead by FOX who put out the other Avatar in name? There was a massive media blitz against this film. Can you think of any other film with so much hate directed against it? Think about that for a moment. Can you?

All of the so-called super-fans of the TV show need to relax. There is no way that they could show all of the countless characters and locations that are in season one in one movie. Think of all the stuff that gets cut of of a Harry Potter novel for just one film - 2 films for one book doesn't make it twice as good. Realistically, how many movies should they have made just about season one? Even if you did two for season one, you'd have no story arc. It wouldn't have been as satisfying. The movie and main character had a great emotional arc, in my opinion. This was also a more thoughtful film than critics would have you believe. I bought it on DVD. I have all of the Avatar Season Box sets as well. Changes were made for the sake of a movie, but overall it was an enjoyable ride. Don't listen to the critics. Judge for yourself. Stop the hate.

Noah Ringer is Aang. Shaun Toub was amazing as Uncle Iroh. Devel Patel was terrific as Zuko. The special effects were great. The score was beautiful. The story had great emotion and moved me. M. Night did a great job. Bring on Books Two and Three.

Sign in to follow this