🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 66 — White Men Can’t Jump

Andrew Ti and guest Christian Lander tell white people to embrace being called Larry Bird on the basketball court, explain why white people like being called names on the basketball court, and talk about the possible remake of White Men Can’t Jump. Leave us a question about racism at (323) 389-RACE.

Christian Lander is an awkward, jabbering mess of a Canadian. Seriously, why did he think it would be ok to start talking to Andrew about "the Asian-American experience"?

I don't really have a problem with this one although I hardly see it as a strike against Jeremy Lin that he isn't "a bad dude" like Andrew says his cousins are.

I'd guess that the guys playing basketball were harmlessly having fun, and I get the oft-discussed (on this podcast) concept of the asymmetry of racism, but sometimes I feel like there's literally nothing that a caller could ever present that Andrew and his guest would deem racist against white people.

Actually, I think that assuming white people to be bad at basketball is pretty racist, in the sense that has been discussed before. The whole thing about white people being uptight, "uncool" leaders of the establishment, while black people are "cool" and athletic.

I'd guess that the guys playing basketball were harmlessly having fun, and I get the oft-discussed (on this podcast) concept of the asymmetry of racism, but sometimes I feel like there's literally nothing that a caller could ever present that Andrew and his guest would deem racist against white people.

The assymetrical nature of racism means that it's literally impossible to be racist against white people. There literally isn't a thing that could happen, at least in America, that is honest-to-goodness racist against white people. You can be racially prejudiced against white people. It might be a little shitty, but it's seriously not a problem to call a white guy Jimmer every once in a while.

Dogs how can you still not get that you just straight up cannot be racist against white people. The reason us white people have the stereotype of being the establishment is that we are the establishment. You can't get around that.

• Like 2

I went to a school when I was a kid where they had "Jump the White Kid" day, where the next white kid who came through the door got the crap beat out of him. This was racially motivated and should be deemed racist. At that school being white did not put you in a position of power (in fact it was the opposite); and the assymetrical nature of racism means that the race that is without power in the situation is the one that racism happens towards. Yes, the school was in the US, but none of those involved knew anything about James Polks aggression's into Mexico, the Zoot Suit Riots or other major acts of American racism towards Mexicans. What they knew was that in their community, where they lived they were the dominant culture, and someone of another race was in a position of racial vulnerability.

In instances such as this, where white is not the dominant culture, then yes it is possible to be racist against white people. Now some will point out that it all takes place in America, but we are not talking about political power and oppression, or job hiring practices. We are talking about a community or locale where being white means you do not have power. I bring it up in reference to this issue because in the story mentioned on this podcast it sounded as if being white on that specific court put the person in a position of being the weaker culture.

And before anyone questions it, I am of a very mixed racial background and was not seen as white (luckily at that school)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this