🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 19 — Beyond the Valley of the Internet Trolls

Buzzfeed’s Louis Peitzman joins Jake to discuss internet crazies and motion picture sleaze on today’s episode of THE FOGELNEST FILES! Louis tells us about fighting a cold his entire life, gets introduced into the world of Christian Weston Chandler, and describes his love of Herschell Gordon Lewis’ The Blood Trilogy. Louis and Jake take a look at some clips that include; Katie Couric & Bryant Gumbel trying to figure out what the internet is, the delightful Perfume Bro, and the first 2 minutes of Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! Make sure to go leave reviews for Russ Meyer’s Beyond the Valley of the Dolls in “The Fogelnest Files” section on iTunes.

It's interesting how smug and oppressive Briant Gumbel is in that first clip. He's sitting there on the couch with his feet up on the table. He makes a mean-spirited joke about one of his correspondents. He's demanding that someone explain the internet to him when there is clearly no one in the studio with enough expertise on the subject to talk about it on air, for christ's sake. The women he's sitting between just look sullen and afraid. Everyone is uncomfortable, except for Briant Gumbel. With the big glasses and the hundred and ten dollar tie from the mid-nineties, he looks like he could be cast in In the Company of Men.

• Like 5

He looks like he could be cast in In the Company of Men.

Bryant Gumbel is a character both Neil LaBute and Bret Easton Ellis would find "too sympathetic."

Earwolf shows comment mega-mix:

The vagaries of the Internet are enough to make a guy fly private!

• Like 2

Holy crap Jake, I've seen pictures of Chris-chan pop up online for years and every time I thought they were one-off examples on internet weirdness. After seeing and listening the clip on today's show, I immediately paused the podcast and went to his wiki and HOLY SHIT...I had to get out of there after 10 minutes for the sake of my afternoon's productivity. Just skimming the article on his Dad had me alternately cringing and busting out laughing. This is one of the weirdest things I've seen in a while. Thank you Jake.

Thanks for mentioning my facebook group today! It's about goddamn time that Jake Fogelnest Is A Dickbag finally got some recognition.

I had to get out of there after 10 minutes for the sake of my afternoon's productivity.

Thankfully, Chris' activities have greatly decreased in the last year. In fact, he uploaded no videos throughout 2012. When he was very active, you could lose HOURS following his saga.

Visit http://www.sonichu.com at your own risk!

• Like 1

The example of the PERFUME guy is exactly why I like Jake. He didn't go into that video mean spirited and going for the low hanging fruit of mocking, but instead he and the guest spoke of how they wished they loved something this much. What makes this show so much better than say a Tosh.O, is that Jake goes in only to attack people (when he does) that can take it and have set themselves up for it. When it's something or someone like Perfume444, he looks at the other side of it. Much respect.

Agreed. Jake's angle always seems to be appreciation or at least laughing "with" them.

I've said it before and Lukas is right here too. This show is fun because Jake doesn't just go out and shit on some of the CRAZIEST vagaries of the internet (like tosh does). Jake just tees this stuff up because he actually enjoys it and we all get to be super entertained by the people in these clips.

Watching the clips for this show really makes the podcast fly by, I am alternately confused and giggling the entire show.

Saw more than one person on AV Club's podmass complaining that they haven't been able to find the playlist on youtube. I think the problem is that if you google for instance, "Fogelnest Files Youtube", it returns Jake's personal youtube channel as the top result, but the youtube account with the Fogelnest Files playlists doesn't show up on the first page of google's results. So a lot of people visit Jake's personal youtube channel, don't see it there, and just give up,

I almost did, and I'm only SORT OF an idot. If you're going to stick Fogelnest Files previews on that channel you might as well put a copy of the playlist there as well.

An alternative would be to link to the Fogelnest Files youtube channel in every episode description here. Which would likely in short order increase the search ranking of that particular page. But that's probably against some rule Earwolf has or you would have already done that for the sake of convenience.

I love how often Brett Easton Ellis gets brought up on this show. I think Jake and I are maybe coming to the same realizations about him. For decades it seemed like he was kind of in on the joke--so to speak--about his characters. But more and more it seems like he actually likes these pieces of human garbage.

That being said, as an author, I still think he's kind of a genius.

Fucking love me some Fogelnest Files.

Listening to Christian Weston Chandler reminded me of the Raleigh skits off of Robbin' the Hood by Sublime. Could I review that album on your iTunes profile?

Listening to Christian Weston Chandler reminded me of the Raleigh skits off of Robbin' the Hood by Sublime. Could I review that album on your iTunes profile?

You may not review a Sublime album on my iTunes profile.

• Like 2

Damn, I never imagined this would be an episode were I get a list of movies I need to watch but I am definitely going to have to get around to seeing Faster Pussy cat! Kill! Kill!

It made me a little sad in this episode that Jake chose to feature Christian Weston Chandler.

I became aware of him a couple years ago, and instantly disinterested. I wanted no part in participating, even as a spectator, in the internet at it's absolute worst.

You can post all the rotten-dot-com pictures of decapitated heads or spread goatse asses you want, but the continual verbal abuse of a mentally handicapped person is something that should be stamped out wherever it's found.

And I say this as someone who fucking LOVES Wesley Willis. Wesley Willis was mental disability entertaining a broad range of people done RIGHT. Done right because Wesley Willis had FUN with it, he got to live the dream, and he was constantly under the watch of people who cared about him, even if the crowds yelled for Batman's Ass a little too much.

It was good that Jake DID point out "who the hell are these people to criticize a mentally handicapped person on the internet" but it was a little bit too little too late, I'm afraid.

Sign in to follow this