🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 9 — Going In Recons Blazing

The gang decides to regroup back at the survivors’ underwater home to figure out a plan to infiltrate the collectors’ base. They learn about the connection with the Sea and Ell Ryan’s (Gerry Duggan) death as they talk to the Elder and decide to infiltrate the collectors’ base in the morning. Survivors Tras and Carn (Mr. Sark) join Amarth Amon (Brian Posehn), Mildred Maxton (Sarah Guzzardo), Blackee Green (Blaine Capatch), and Bartho Shett (Ken Daly) on their mission to find out what lies inside the collector’s base. Plus, the gang recalls some memorable botches from past D&D adventures.

Crazy Shit That Happened on Old Adventures should be called Crazy Shit That Happened on Old Adventures. The name is perfect. WTF?

• Like 1

That story about the barbarian and the bear skin in "Shit that happened in past games" segment reminded me of an old character of mine. We had this guy in our party who was walking around with this trained monkey. I don't know if it was how he kept talking about the monkey, that I was jealous he had a monkey, or he kept having this monkey snag all the treasure (which he did!)...point is for some reason my character HATED this fucking monkey. So I passed a note to the DM that simply said, "I kill the fucking monkey!". DM does some rolling and announces what I have done. I swear I thought this guy was going to cry. So he stuffs the dead monkey in his bag. About a half hour later I pass a note, "I want to pickpocket the dead monkey". Success. Another half hour goes by, another note, "I fashion the monkey into a hat.". So the DM whispers, "you can't really make a hat". I whisper, "no...just slice, gut, on my head, monkey hat". When the DM announced, "you all notice that Lothar (or whatever character, I can't recall) is wearing a bloody monkey carcass on his head with a giant smile on his face, I can't describe the rage on my buddies face. I wore that monkey cap till the bloody end of that character.

• Like 2

All these awesome stories make me hope these guys get off this stupid fucking water planet soon. What's going to happen to them here, swimmer's ear? I hope they jump through a portal and leave these fish dorks behind for good. Actually I hope they start reading the rule books and playing 4e the way it's intended, it would make for better listening. And maybe their lazy asses could roleplay too. Fuck this podcast! Seeya next week.

Well done, can't wait for the team to start mercilessly slaughtering random citizens in the giant boat Water World Atoll town.

Why don't you call the crazy shit from past adventures segment Vorpal Botch!

• Like 1

Thought this episode could've been called "The C Word."

I wonder is Karn actually Richard Karn of Home Improvement and Family Feud fame? I going to assume he is; Richard Karn is famous for his "hot ass."

• Like 1

After they mentioned the Mech that punched Ell Ryan into the water, I figured they would have commissioned the survivors to salvage and repair it from where the pontoon sank. Also as someone unfamiliar with D&D, would the weapons they left on the crashed ship be worth going after?

This is for a million years later, but could we have a listener character? I'd love to use the forum to decide what they would do next. Like kill Blackee.

Re. Playing 4e "as intended", I'm not so sure the grid and miniature mechanics of the game would translate well to podcasting.

It would be like listening to a game of Battletech, but with magic, on the radio.

I'd prefer the group spend more time in the narrative and playing in character than for Sark to stop the story on a dime for a bunch of logistical stuff on paper. My 2 pennies.

• Like 1

My own "Crazy Shit" that happened during a GURPS game my brother ran:

Our group was heading down on spiral steps cut into the wall of a well, and we were confronted by a floating monster that came up the middle. My warrior type character tried to attack and rolled a critical failure. The result was he accidentally skewered the healer behind him on the stairs with maximum damage. The nearly dead healer had a critical failure of her own, and managed to kill herself instead of saving herself. Everyone else was focused on the threat, so no one else saw the 2nd failure.

Afterwards when anyone was injured they would yell at me for murdering the healer. Yea double botch!

Re. Playing 4e "as intended", I'm not so sure the grid and miniature mechanics of the game would translate well to podcasting.

It would be like listening to a game of Battletech, but with magic, on the radio.

I'd prefer the group spend more time in the narrative and playing in character than for Sark to stop the story on a dime for a bunch of logistical stuff on paper. My 2 pennies.

It worked for the penny arcade guys playing 4e on a podcast. DnD has always been a mix of strategy and roleplaying so i dont see the grid mechanics and such holding back the game. I always consider the fighting part the dumbest and most boring part of these podcasts. The fun part is character interaction and storytelling. But, i digress.

Personally i love the group going "alright guys..we are going to sneak and seal some dudes outfits", smash cut to casting and stabbing people through the back with a broadsword.

• Like 1

"Internal organs mortar and pestled by a horse cock" I'm content never seeing those mr. hands videos.

• Like 2

While this episode was OK, I must admit I think they were much better when Jerry was playing, he played in character and actually got stuck in (he still has the highest kill count and he's been dead for two episodes!)

And while I'm bothering to post there are a few things I must 'sperg-out about.

1. Role playing, you aren't doing it. I'm not asking for character voices and other stupid shit like that, but
Amarth
for being characterized as a dim bulb is remarkably bright and competent. Though worse than that is
Bartho
, replace “rich arrogant douchebag” with “generic adventurer”, and then you have a bang-on character description.
Might I point out that
Amarth
ruined the disguise that
Blackie
p
ut on by ramming his sword through the downed crewman? I don’t know how incognito
Blackie
will be with the back of his light gray robe covered in blood.
3. The name of the "Crazy shit that happened in old adventures" segment should be
Epic True Tales of Awesome Adventure: The Botch-roll Chronicles.

I agree with the above post. A friend directed me to this podcast since I play D&D, and I have to tell you I think it's pretty lame.

• Why don't you just read the PHB and learn to play 4E?
  • Your party class balance is shit. And boring.
  • Your base stats aren't even correct in some cases (8 is lowest possible ability score in 4E)
  • Do you ever roleplay or always just say "I'm going to -----"?
  • How about some actual fucking combat?? With, you know, abilities?
  • The setting is shit. When picking a setting that you'll be describing to listeners, why the fuck would you pick flat featureless water? Seriously?

Most listeners don't give a shit about 'party class balance' (whatever the fuck that means) or 'actual combat' (doesn't Amarth shoving a broadsword between a dudes shoulder blades qualify as combat?). It's a comedy podcast. I'm sure there are podcasts out there where unfunny motherfuckers sit around and roleplay the shit out of D&D, but this is not that podcast. I'm NOT a D&D player and I just listened to every episode, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That being said, Amarth DID fuck up the disguise. I know Blackee has a 19 charisma or whatever, but I don't think even he can pull off a disguise that has a gaping blood-soaked hole in the back with little bits of brain matter stuck to it.

• Like 1

The best part about D&D is you can play it any way you want . You can play strictly by the rules or get as loose as you'd like. It is a game after all. This game has a group of people who like to play loose. They're all on the same page and nobody's complaining so I don't see what the problem it.

Personally, I find this podcast to be brilliant. A comedy podcast with a narrative. If you get tired of the jokes you've got the story and if the story gets week you've got the jokes And when the jokes and story are in sync it's golden.

• Like 2

I have been listening to Penny Arcade WotC 4e podcasts. 9 episodes in. Go Jim Darkmagic!!

It's much smoother than I thought and using grid moves things much more efficiently than stopping to reorient the players after a joke or interruption. I also have a much more concrete vision of the flow and cinema of the encounters.

But those guys have a WotC game developer as their DM. I really would rather not have to listen to Sark stop their game to describe the rules on Opportunity Attacks, Standard Actions & Minor Actions, Flanking, etc.

I agree with the sentiment above that Nerd Poker is an excellent D&D comedy podcast that happens to use 4e rules as oppose to a serious D&D 4e podcast.

I would happily trade a bunch of game mechanics in this podcast for Blackie and El Ryan.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind these guys using character voices but they currently aren't playing anything that would sound funny imo. If one of them was a Warforged (cyborg) it'd be amusing if they only spoke in Nick Swardson's Gay Robot voice while in character.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they just played 2nd edition, which is what they are used to playing. I wouldn't be surprised if the using of 4th edition is because of the possibility of sponsorship. If they aren't sponsored already.

Sign in to follow this