🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 196 — A Different Huelliverse

Jeff Garlin is back on today’s special Thursday episode of Comedy Bang Bang! Jeff explains why sarcasm is easiest thing to do in comedy, does some of his favorite impressions, and tells us about his new podcast By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin. The ghost of Huell Howser appears to share what the afterlife is like, he takes Scott & Jeff through time, and says his final farewell.

I completely agree with Jeff about celebrity chefs. It's sooo terrible when a famous chef wants to talk to me while I'm eating really really expensive food. I can't even count how many times this has happened to me. I also hate when the doorman says "hello" to me. Just open the door and leave me alone. Don't even get me started on orphans either. Get some parents already.*

*sarcasm

• Like 4

"...just a story whispered between stars." That's kind of an unironically beautiful sentiment.

I love dead Huell.

• Like 6

A very fitting send off to an enigmatic man. We will all miss you, Huell. R.I.P.

• Like 1

Jeff Garlin is the drunk host at a party who has this incredibly receptive audience just because he invited everyone. They really only laugh because he could introduce them to Larry David.

A BIG BOWL OF LARRY DAVID.

That being said, I fucking love James Adomian.

• Like 5

Jeff Garlin is the drunk host at a party who has this incredibly receptive audience just because he invited everyone. They really only laugh because he could introduce them to Larry David.

A BIG BOWL OF LARRY DAVID.

That being said, I fucking love James Adomian.

Jeff's laugh is so damn delightful, though.

God, I love Huell Howser. That was great of Scott to get him to leave the door open for a future appearance someday down the road.

• Like 2

Was Garlin wearing a Phillies cap?! Awesome!

Also, this was an amazing Huell appearance! It made me so happy. Thank you James for bringing the joys of Huell Howser to all of us non-Californians who were unfamiliar with him and his gold.

And this studio pic perfectly captures what I imagine all of Adomian's studio performances are like:

IMG_4778.jpg

• Like 8

Yeah, Adomian kills it everytime! He's just commits 100% with all his characters, so good.

I was going to call Adomian out for that Futurama bit but he beat me to it haha!

Great b-b-b-onus-s-s episode! Fantastic send-off for Huell Howser. I live in Pennsylvania so I had no idea who Huell was and thought it was just a character James had made up. When I found out he was real, I went to youtube and watched hours of clips of him and was just thoroughly entertained. You can tell he actually meant something to James and through him we all got a lot of joy from it. Thanks you for introducing me to him, R.I.P. Huell.

"Why are you digging yourself a bigger hole?"

"I love holes! I am the Shia Labouf of podcasting!"

The funniest thing Scott ever said on this episode of this podcast.

• Like 6

It does my heart good knowing that Huell is spending time with the spectral projection of Christopher Hitchens.

• Like 1

I demand Jesse Ventura comes back to explain whether or not there is a new member of the Enigma Force 5.

There was some pretty poignant stuff in Adomian's portrayal, and that last message out of character was sweet. God, I can't believe I called something sweet.

• Like 1

I demand Jesse Ventura comes back to explain whether or not there is a new member of the Enigma Force 4.

Corrected.

"look an avocado eatin' dog!"

If you didn't get that throw away line, do yourself a favor:

• Like 9

Skips in the stream during New No-Nos are killing me.

NEW NO-NO - If the live stream of a video podcast isn't of optimal quality, I get to watch the archive of that podcast later!

NEW NO-NO - When I post a comment in the wrong thread, I have to apologize for it. Sorry everyone!

• Like 5

I'm really glad that James was able to record that message at the end and impart the real respect he had for Huell for the listeners that hadn't had a chance to read his piece:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2013/01/huell_howser_tribute.php

As a foreigner to California, my first exposure to Huell Howser was through Loveline but it wasn't really until his first appearance on CDR that I really took the time to find out more about him. And as funny as he is on this show and when you see clips from California Gold, when you really take the time to watch his shows and see him in all his curious glory; any mocking laughter melts away. His child-like innocence as an observer of the world was contagious. His incredibly sincere passion for all things California was truly a part of California's Gold.

I have a lot of joy and laughter to thank Huell for; perhaps none greater than for inspiring an absolute gem of a post credits scene in the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie that had me crying of laughter (In part, from it being such a ridiculous surprise). Naturally, I also share a similar debt to James for an incredibly accurate impression, respect for the man, and hilarious marine backstory. 67 is far too few years to manage to find all of California's Gold; but it is comforting to know that he will continue to speak to us through the projections of Scott's mind (If a little gruffer than we remember).

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this