🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
wysigr8t

Skype D&D Nerd Poker Group

Hi.

Over the last few episodes of NP I've found myself wondering how awesome it would be to startup a Skype D&D Group with some other NP fans from around the world where we could talk about the guys adventures and have one of our own over Skype.

I don't have any Dungeon Master experience and compared to some of the more hardcore among you I have tons to learn, so I'm creating this topic to see if there are others interested in this idea.

Are there any creative and fun DMs out there with experience, willing to organize it?

Some basic criteria I believe would be important to meet:

-Good sense of humor with open and respectful views towars others (with a Kobold exception).

-Fluent or near fluent English (so comunication is as fluid as possible).

-18 or Over (so we don't need to worry about the language used).

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I've been interested in something like this too as a gaming group in my neck of the woods wouldn't work out. There are some online resources to help with playing RPGs. There's MapTools which is free and downloadable and Roll20 which is another table top map over the internet game helper...

Cheez louise, guys... lets do it! Roll20 sounds like an excellent route to go, its free and works in google hangouts.

Awesome, I'm glad you're both interested in the idea!

I'm thinking the ideal group size would be 5 or 6 players, although I'm open to more or less players if the group feels it would make for a better experience, so if we get 2 or 3 more ppl interested we're set to start our "Alpha Campaign", maybe in a "Learn As You Go" fashion so we don't lose any of the momentum and all have fun together figuring how to pull this off.

Wiredwolf and Bombadil does one of you have DM experience? As I stated above, I would have no clue as to how to organize everything so I'm hopeing at least one great DM will offer to take the reigns.

Finally, Roll20 and MapTools seem like great tools, does anyone know of any others that might be useful?

Playing online, I think a group of 3 or 4 players + 1DM would be good enough. Too many more and it may get a little confusing.

I'd be interested in joining this group as well! No GM experience, and havent really played D&D since I was a kid... but would love to get back into it!

I'm a complete noob. I own the latest handbook though, so I'd love to give it a try.

My friends and I use Fantasy Grounds 2 as a virtual table top to play without needing to be in the same room. I was actually going to suggest this program (or others like it) after hearing mentioned that there was no room on the table for a map. If you are sticking to 4E rules, combat is pretty much impossible without a map to place characters, but you could use a VTT program and get each player a laptop, and you would be good to go. Best part would be that you then have the option to FRAPs the combat to post online for listeners to follow along with.

Also Google+ Hangout would be a good program for connection - up to 10 people, lots of sharescreen capabilities... collaboration if necessary.

• Like 1

I just got my hands on all the 4th edition books and I've been desperately trying get my friends together for a group, but people are so busy and so cool that they're not into it.

Heck, the reason I listen to nerd poker is so I can get my D&D fix, so sign me up!

I've got some experience with Roll20 and Fantasy grounds2, and I've been knocking around some campaign ideas I'd really like to try, so I could DM if nobody else is interested.

I would be interested too. Played quite a bit in high school and then first year of college. I come from the Second Edition era that the guys on the show come from. Not much of a DM though.

Looks like Roll20 seems to be the most commonly mentioned online resource so I am going to start looking into learning that.

So it looks like we've got more than enough interested people, and we've all agreed that roll20 is a pretty good way to go about it. let's get this show on the road, I guess!

seems like none of us seem to be too familiar with the rules of 4E, should we even play 4th edition and just figure it out as we go along? Or should we play an edition some of us are more familiar with? It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to just wing it in 4E since the Nerd Poke group is doing that

I might also be interested depending on how it works out and if there is still a need for more people. I've just started playing thanks in large part to this podcast. (I have 3.5 stuff thusfar)

So it looks like we've got more than enough interested people, and we've all agreed that roll20 is a pretty good way to go about it. let's get this show on the road, I guess!

seems like none of us seem to be too familiar with the rules of 4E, should we even play 4th edition and just figure it out as we go along? Or should we play an edition some of us are more familiar with? It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to just wing it in 4E since the Nerd Poke group is doing that

That's awesome that you could DM. As my experience is with Second Edition I would lean towards that. It is also not so map intensive which I think would suit the online experience better. Used Players Handbooks (of which you only need one unlike Fourth Edition) are available from Amazon used around $10. DM's Guide between $5 and $10.

Jeez!

It's so cool so many people are showing interest. :)

I can't wait to get this going!

I'll be sending private messages to those who replied here asking basic questions like: which days and hours are available for you (as I know many peoples schedules are hard, especially when considering a "worldwide" group), which skype option to you prefer (voice/webcam/either) and something basic like: where are you from, are you over 18 and are you male or female.

Personally, I am perfectly fine with an all guys group, but I do aknowledge that one or two girls tends to make the overall experience more enjoyable. Especially when they decide to play male personas :D

Finally, I'll be looking for a group made up of one DM and about 5 or 6 regular players (myself included), simply because I know that although most people mean well, more often than not one or two will eventually lose interest... if they don't, then the group will be stonger for it!

We'll be giving everyone who has already stated their interest, priority, but if there is anyone else reading this and is interested, post here or send me a pm and let us know!!!

Nerd Poker is Awesome!

Looks like you guys have enough players now but I'd still like to be involved! Would there be a way for people to watch and chat if they're not playing? Would you guys even be ok with that?

If anyone is interested in a Pathfinder game, I am set up to run those over the interwebs. I would be willing to run an intro game to people wanting to learn the rules or just try it out.

The Nerd Poker gang are running 4E, which is the current version of standard D&D. Pathfinder is a spin off the the previous version (3.5) that was released at about the same time 4E came out. Its closer to 3.5 rules, which means a litte less action / MMO based than 4E is, but still a solid system. I run a regular Sunday game for some friends, but I could set something up for another night or weekend afternoon.

• Like 2

I just picked up the players hand book for 4e and been reading through it. I'd be down for some D&D, total noob here. Been thinking of also getting the pathfinder book but dont' have one yet.

I already have a G+ D&D group that I play with on Friday nights, but I'd love to set up another group for another night in the week. I'm more of a character creator than a GM, and I'm in the UK, so ideally I'm looking for other UK/Europe players so we don't all get wrecked by time zones ;)

Sign in to follow this