đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Fatpossum

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

I literally (ha) went through all the post and was so surprised to see this not on here. I mean, are you kidding me? This is the ultimate bad great movie, right there with point break. I've seen it so many times and I still have no idea what's going on. It's like you got dropped in the middle of a movie. P.S. HEAVYWEIGHTS. An all star cast featuring only a young Ben stiller and a bunch of fat kids and adults. Classic

• Like 1

Big Trouble in Little China knows that it is a bonkers movie. In my mind the disqualifies itself from being a bad movie.

This movie is too good and was a big hit when it came out.

It wasn't a hit AT ALL, which really surprised me, because I always thought it had been a blockbuster too. I remember seeing both this and "Labyrinth" (another film that I thought had done better) in the same weekend at my local movie theater. When I was a kid, I thought that if something was on TV all the time, it must have made a lot of money. Using that logic, "Red Dawn" would have been the highest-grossing film of all time, with "Police Academy 2" in a distant second.

• Like 1

Anyone who doesn't recognize how FUCKING AMAZING this movie is doesn't deserve to use the Internet. Sure, make this an episode of the podcast; just talk about how great it is for an hour.

• Like 1

Big Trouble is very knowing and wink-y. That's what makes it great. If they wanted to do a serious HDTGM, like they did with Crank or Punisher, then yes, that would be a fun episode (especially if it featured John Carpenter and Kurt Russell).

Just saw this for the first time and kept asking “what the fuck even is this movie?”

More importantly, how have they not done it yet? I think their tendency to do all the Fast & Furious movies negates the whole “can’t do anything tounge-in-cheek” argument.

I am proud to give this suggestion the bump it deserves. I only ask they wait until it can be done as a live show.

11 hours ago, CaptainAmazing said:

Just saw this for the first time and kept asking “what the fuck even is this movie?”

More importantly, how have they not done it yet? I think their tendency to do all the Fast & Furious movies negates the whole “can’t do anything tounge-in-cheek” argument.

I am proud to give this suggestion the bump it deserves. I only ask they wait until it can be done as a live show.

They won’t do it. It legitimately has earned cult status as a thoroughly fun b-movie (and as much as I enjoy most of the F& F franchise, this is on a whole other level). Even when it was released it was thought of as being far better than should have been expected. I genuinely don’t think Paul or Jason would be inspired to rip on it. 

HOWEVER, if you were to make this pitch to Unspooled, it’s a similarly fun retro choice like their discussions of Clue, House Party, etc. that they’ve done on YouTube. And sadly, with the probability of COVID lasting for several more months (at least), that’s the closest thing to a live audience that we’re going to get.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1