🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 10 — On The Catwalk

Thanks to the effing nerds on here, we spent 50 minutes rolling to attack 3 people.

Nothing wrong with nerds but Yeah , fuck rolling for initiative on a podcast. I say scratch that rule.

• Like 1

I love the show, but seriously Sark, you're missing some pretty critical rules here brother. Like charging, that allows a player to move again their full speed after moving and make a basic mere attack. Or Action Points. Or grappling.

• Like 1

I believe they mentioned early on that this is their first run in 4th ed. As different as 4th ed is from previous versions, and it seems like they're coming from more of a 2nd ed viewpoint, you're going to get tons wrong unless you've practically memorized the manuals. Considering the traveling schedules they have, I doubt they've got time for that. And if they're not big MMORPG fans, a lot of this stuff is counter intuitive (no tabletop pun intended but help yourselves).

Also, this seems more like an ad hoc campaign type of group; they just roll as they roll (no dice puns intended, etc.). To them the "System" is just a system.

I'm sure they'll get it down with time. Or as much as they want to get it down.

I am enjoying the podcast more than i expected to and listened to all 10 episodes in the last week or so.

Some comments, far from criticisms if they come off that way.

I'm glad it was explained in episode 10 how Sark is forming the adventure. I was starting to wonder if it was all completely made up as they went or if there was any preset story at all.

I have to say, having not played D&D in any form for the last 10 or 12 years, listening to this makes me really miss my group. We could have easily filled a weekly podcast just with "stupid shit from previous adventures" of our own.

I like Mildred. She seems badass and i was going to feel bad for laughing at her if she ended up hanging herself during the rope fiasco lol

We used to use an old set of tables i found in Dragon Magazine (i think) that were fumble and critical hit charts. They were similar to what is done in the podcast but the crits were a little more specific.

We also had several episodes of someone with a vorpal weapon or sword of sharpness fumbling and beheading themselves or a friend. It's all fun and games until you roll a 1 and then a 100.

I would also go see a Vorpal Botch concert.

It was said that some of the earlier episodes were recorded more than a year before say episode 3 or 4. In that time, no one, especially the DM got up to speed on the new rules?

I still have my copy of Top Secret....we used to play during lunch when i was in high school. Also have the original Gamma World and some other stuff. Packrats unite!

The random sponsor bit's are pretty good too.

And lastly, to hell with initiatives and strict rules players...play the way it is fun for you. I personally think any edition past 2 was way overdone and only slows down playing but the company won't make any money if they stop pumping out new editions.

• Like 2

Shouldn't they have gotten buffs or something from the Elder? Not that it mattered because of all the ones rolled, but am I the only one remembering that?

-Stevo

Botches can be great, but a 1 in 20 chance to almost die is a tad ridiculous.

It sounds like with their botch system you only almost die if you roll a 1/20 and then the DM rolls over a 75/100 (or 15/20) and if i remember my stats right that is only a 3/400 chance. Otherwise it is just a solid fail.

+1 to the Action Point comments. This rule will go a long way to making your style of running the game even easier, I think. If a player wants to do something that is way outside what the rules would reasonably allow in 4E, AP could be the answer. One additionally standard or move action in your turn allows them to pull off some pretty amazing stuff.