๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Bullet to the Head

This looks like classic Stallone crap. From him stereotyping Asians to having an ax fight with the guy from the Conan remake, this movie looks horrible. It seems that Stallone still thinks he can hang in today's action movies. The Expendables are great because they acknowledge the craziness of movies like this along with the actors getting older. Arnold Schwarzenegger understood it with The Last Stand and Bruce Willis understands it to an extent in the Die Hard sequels, but for some reason Stallone still thinks he's 20 years younger than he is.

• Like 1

Yeah, good call, this one is sure to be celluloid feces. It's sad that Walter Hill went from directing classics like The Warriors and 48 Hours to making hackneyed shit like this. And as for Stallone, I would say years of coke and experimental growth hormones will throw off anyone's judgement. Not that he should be excused for the terrible films he's made.

But at least some of those terrible films have been fun (ala Cobra, Rambos 2-3, Over The Top). They were awful, awful fun, but they had that 80s campiness that makes them a joy to watch (at least for me).

ย 

Then came the 90s. Stallone traded goofy awful for just joyless awful. And he never looked back.

Yeah I just watched the Warriors again this weekend. Even with the Director's Cut having comic book segways, which are actually pretty nice, the movie still stands up as a dystopian look at the gang world. This movie looks like utter drek. The problem is that Stallone still tries to play young when he can't. Look at the most recent Rambo and the Expendables, when he has fun at the expense of his age, the movies are fantastic action/camp, but when he takes this seriously and pulls a Harrison Ford by trying to play a role designed for a younger guy, the movie blows (Bullet, Driven).

• Like 1

I saw "Bullet to the Head" last night... I don't care when, but this movie NEEDS to be in an upcoming episode of the podcast...

ย 

ย 

And its so crazy/cool that Stallones buddy in the film is the actor who plays Han in the "Fast & Furious" movies

ย 

I don't even want to get into it... But I enjoyed it A LOT!

Also the title of the movie should be "One-Liners To The Head"

If you love Cobra or love to hate Cobra, this movie is for you. Pure trashy nonsense, and racist to boot! A feast for anyone looking for tired Asian jokes disguised as witty banter.

On paper, the Asian guy is actually a bigger draw than Stallone right now. Speaking of which, how crazy is it that Jason Statham can put out a typical Jason Statham movie like "Parker" that only does average, unremarkable Jason Statham movie business, and it STILL does nearly double the business of recent movies by Stallone AND Schwarzenegger? General audiences don't really care about Statham one way or the other, but it seems like they actively AVOIDED films by the bigger stars. Bonkers...

Last Stand underperforming was kind of a bummer as it was a decent no brainer movie, and it showed Arnold accepting his role as the old guy. Stallone still thinks he can be like he was 20 or 30 yrs ago and people don't want to see that. The reason the Expendables does better than his other stuff is that it acknowledges his age as well as the amount of names attached to those movies.

• Like 1

Between this and "The Last Stand," I'd go with Arnold's movie. This one was just kind of there, without a lot of really crazy over-the-top moments; even the climactic ax fight didn't really go nearly as insane as it could have. For comparison, the bad guy in "The Last Stand" steals an sports car from Las Vegas and drives it to the Arizona-Mexico border without ever seeming to have stopped for gas or bathroom breaks. Nothing in "Bullet to the Head" reaches that level of WTF.

That to me is just the usual action movie leaving out of common everyday things like how Jack Bauer never went to the bathroom in 24.

Well, I don't know if Bullet To The Head is bad enough for a podcast, but sure it was a pretty disappointing film and I am really beginning to feel sorry for Stallone because I like the guy.

Sign in to follow this