🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 198 — Aren't You Glad

Aren’t you glad that the Roastmaster General Jeffrey Ross and Canadian singer-songwriter Ron Sexsmith are making their Comedy Bang Bang debut!? That’s not all, Sarah Silverman joins us to sing some of her telegrams and author Cam Billmoth reads an excerpt from his new book Letters To Mom. Plus, we play a heated game of Would You Rather? and Ron treats us to a song from his new album “Forever Endeavour.” Check out the full video of today's episode at youtube.com/earwolf!

Classic CBB blunder: letting the only genius singer/songwriter of our generation sing one song. "Secret Heart?" "There's a Rhythm?" "Strawberry Blonde?" I'm going to have to dock you points for that....

• Like 2

Loved this episode! Amy Phillips knocks it out of the park every time she appears on the show.

Classic CBB blunder: letting the only genius singer/songwriter of our generation sing one song.

If Jeff Mangum heard you say that, he would rightly smash a guitar over your head, and retire to his cave somewhere in the Adirondacks to brood for another 15 years.

• Like 1

The Youtube Video Podcast Network thing is a good idea but there's a fatal flaw-- when it streamed live on Thursday night, it seemed like most people had trouble with the buffering. Based on the live comments and decreasing number of viewers after two minutes in, the buffer issue wasn't solely a problem on the user end due to a slow connection. As you know, timing is everything in comedy, so when it pauses every six seconds, it becomes unwatchable.

I'm not complaining, I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the Earwolf management to see if it could be corrected in order to increase viewership. I appreciate all the quality entertainment produced by this fine network and I guess I'll just continue to listen to CBB on Monday mornings like a normal person.

• Like 1

Sorry, might be a dim question but when do the archived videos go up on the youtube site? I only seem to be able to view 3 minute clip.

Hey guys, I don't want to alarm anyone, but has anyone ever seen Bob Odenkirk and Jeffery Ross in the same place at the same time?

• Like 3

Are only some of the live episodes getting archived on Youtube? I can't find this show or the Who Charted from Sundance anywhere. Are they anywhere? Or are they nowhere? They've gotta be somewhere. Where?

• Like 1

I'm also baffled by what's being uploaded to Youtube and what's not. If there's video of this I need to see it!

The only thing I like as much as Sarah Silverman is someone doing an over-the-top impersonation of Sarah Silverman. It's eerily accurate, in a shouty way of course.

Amy Phillips' Sarah Silverman "character" was pretty spectacular. Does this mark the first time that a performer has done an extended impression of someone who actually appears on the podcast in real life?

Hopefully this is all just paving the way for a triumphant Paul F. Tompkins (as John C. Reilly) and John C. Reilly (as John C. Reilly) episode of Comedy Bang Bang. It's not outside the realm of possibility, right?

Right?

• Like 2

Not just this video is missing but I guess there was an episode of CBB from Sundance with Little Gary? That's the one I really want to see, at least we have the audio for this one.

That Little Gary Sundance episode was great! I thought that the crowd not being mic'd actually worked well with it. After all part of Lil G's charm is that most people hate him.

• Like 2

I really though it was the real Sarah Silverman until I saw she wasn't a guest! I wasn't really listening at the top of the show when Scott did the intro. She did sound a little more shout-y than the real Sarah, but that's obviously intentional as part of the caricature. Great job by Amy Phillips!

About the videos, I was looking for them too, especially the who charted. I had actually saved the YouTube vid shortly after it was on because I missed the live feed, but the video was missing a good chunk of the beginning, and started in the middle of one of the charts, so I was hoping for a complete version.

Maybe they don't have a full version, so that's why it isn't available. Or maybe these particular live episodes are being saved for release as future podcasts, and they want to release the audio and video at the same time.

• Like 1

That Silverman impression was spot on. Really impressed with Amy Phillips. Definitely should have her back. Another great Campbell appearance too. Still think the self-aware teenager was the best though.

• Like 1

Yes! Amy Phillips!

Her impressions are just uncanny. It took me five minutes to realize that she wasn't actually Silverman (didn't see the video version, obviously).

• Like 1

Hi, guys! The full video episode will be posted to YouTube.com/Earwolf soon!

Also, we were aware and very bummed about the buffering issue in the first segment of Thursday night's live stream. The good news is, the video crew figured out what caused it, and fixed it! This is something new for Earwolf, so we really appreciate everyone's patience and support on this!

P.S. Getting live fan questions was super fun! Let us know if you have any other ideas of how we can get fan participation on our other upcoming live streaming shows!

Amy Phillips was fantastic. For me, this one was a tie with her Liza Minnelli impression for her best CBB appearance.

Jeff Ross was an interesting fit on CBB. Hopefully he went out and bought some Ron Sexsmith albums after the show.

Awesome episode. Amy Phillips and Neil Campbell were fantastic.

Also, maybe it's just me, but at points Jeff Ross sounded like a less raspy Bob Odenkirk. He should work on an impression and come back and play him! They should do a podcast with the real Sarah Silverman, Amy Phillips doing her impression of Sarah Silverman, the real Bob Odenkirk, and then Jeff Ross doing an impression of him.

• Like 2

Fun episode, but I don't know if I like the new live/video option for the show. It seems to alter the established rhythm/format too much. Audio sounded a little different too

Fun episode, but I don't know if I like the new live/video option for the show. It seems to alter the established rhythm/format too much. Audio sounded a little different too

Yeah I was thinking that last week with Rusty, BCB and Heidecker. It feels like there's a lot more pressure to perform because it's live. Sometimes the "theater of the mind" is better than actually seeing it. That said, I do like watching the performances and it's something I thought would be cool for a while, but think perhaps it should be more sporadic. I don't know if that's actually the plan rather than doing it every week, but just a thought.

If Jeff Mangum heard you say that, he would rightly smash a guitar over your head, and retire to his cave somewhere in the Adirondacks to brood for another 15 years.

And I will have to dock myself points for that and also apologize to Eric Bachmann.

Yes! Amy Phillips!

Her impressions are just uncanny. It took me five minutes to realize that she wasn't actually Silverman (didn't see the video version, obviously).

I watched the video clip of the Ron Sexsmith song before I listened to the ep, and I didn't realize it wasn't Sarah, until I heard the "over-the-top" impression and checked the guests. Awesome impression, and great episode (can't get enough of Neil's charcs).

• Like 1

And I will have to dock myself points for that and also apologize to Eric Bachmann.

I accept this gracious apology and I award you 415 points, which means you are now in the lead with -3 points.

• Like 2

If Amy Phillips can do impressions of any other comedians, than I'd like to hear her appear on what would potentially be the most confusing episode ever with James Adomian.

• Like 5

I laughed really hard when Campbell's character started talking about eating dinner with Jack White and Sergei Fedorov.

I also had no idea that it wasn't Sarah Silverman having only listened to it. Silverman is a bit odd at times to say the least, so I thought she was just jokingly yelling the entire time.

Great episode.