🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 198 — Aren't You Glad

I haven't watched/listened to this yet, but last week's episode made it seem like the guys were kind of nervous and trying a bit too hard. Especially B.C. Bukowski (what's with all the pointing?). If the option is available, I'd vote for a non-live recording without the pressure, then releasing the video.

• Like 1

Phillips was great as usual.

The hardest I laughed during the entire episode was when Scott did IT'S BEEN to start the stamps.com promo.

• Like 6

Ron's hesitancy to make up lyrics to the WYR theme was the highlight of the episode for me. :D

Yaaay my catchphrase! Now I can stop spamming that forum every other day. Amy's Sarah is pretty fantastic and that WYR was ridiculous. Nice prompts, Cfraise!

• Like 2

Man the video side of things really made this so much better for me, seeing Amy Phillips do Sarah Silverman was so good. Neil Campbell was amazing as always too.

• Like 2

This was a lot of fun. Ron was awesome and legitimately funny. I'm just gonna have to chalk that up to being Canadian. It was mentioned a few posts ago but the Sergei Federov mention was great... I don't think any discussions about Detroiticity are complete without a RoboCop mention, though.

• Like 1

I too was totally fooled by Amy's impression for a little while. Like 5 minutes in I was waiting for "Sarah" to stop yelling or for Scott or someone to be like, "Sarah, why are you yelling?" and then I suddenly realized that I had been duped.

I love hearing impressions of people that you wouldn't have realized had that distinct of voices until you hear someone else do it. Like when I heard James Adomian do Marc Maron and Todd Glass the first time I about died. Amy did an awesome job.

• Like 1

I watched the VPN live last week so I didn't get tricked by Amy's impression (But I was instantly amazed at how spot on it was), but I did get tricked by her wig for the first 5 minutes.

Props to Scott for pronouncing my name right, most Americans tend to pronounce it like the Kelsey Grammar (I'm struggling to make a Mike Detective reference in light of Neil Campbell's appearance) show.

And in response kpols about the buffering; I agree it was fairly unwatchable; but I can back up Julia that they definitely sorted it out to the point that there was never any buffering after whatever fix they enacted.

I'm so excited for the CBB Vancouver show!!! I'm hoping that since Reggie Watts is doing a show in the same venue the night before that he'll do the theme for CBB and then Scott will thank him and send him out the door.

This episode reminded me how much I adore Ron Sexsmith, but the real standout that needs to be a return character was Neil Campbell's Cam Billmoth-- perfect pastiche of Mitch Albom (with anagram name to boot).

Strangely, I've always traced my podcast love back to my obsession in middle school with Albom's AM talk radio program in Detroit... weirdly sandwiched between all the right wing wackos, it was a pretty much nonpolitical sports, entertainment, and variety show with the occasional staged bit.... imagine if your dad tried to make a podcast in 1998 and managed to restrain himself on the Lewinsky jokes, and you've got the right idea. Of course, I didn't know any better in terms of quality humor as a kid, and the appeal of the format just kind of stuck.

As a grownup, however, I see Mitch's weird sanctimonious nostalgia and cynical schmaltz is a gold mine of parody, and was glad to see it finally get tapped, along with a wikipedia-culled cornucopia of Detroit references. Well played.

Props to Scott for pronouncing my name right, most Americans tend to pronounce it like the Kelsey Grammar (I'm struggling to make a Mike Detective reference in light of Neil Campbell's appearance) show.

Fraser Bosh?

original.gif

• Like 2

Fraser Bosh?

original.gif

That gif is one of my favorite things in existence

• Like 1

Watching this again I'm struck with how funny Ron Sexsmith is. He just has this hilarious vibe that I really enjoy, maybe its his Canadian(ness), dunno fun ep though!

Missed the video, but I'm looking forward to seeing it even though I listened to the whole episode yesterday - Amy Phillips was AMAZING as Sarah Silverman!! Want to see what that looked like on video!

Was that the first time a guest impersonated a previous guest?

That gif is one of my favorite things in existence

In a hundred years when the Internet is directly beamed into our brains, it will still be funny.

I too was totally fooled by Amy's impression for a little while. Like 5 minutes in I was waiting for "Sarah" to stop yelling or for Scott or someone to be like, "Sarah, why are you yelling?" and then I suddenly realized that I had been duped.

I love hearing impressions of people that you wouldn't have realized had that distinct of voices until you hear someone else do it. Like when I heard James Adomian do Marc Maron and Todd Glass the first time I about died. Amy did an awesome job.

Now HOLD UP, when did Adomian do a Marc Maron impression?

He's never done it on CBB (as far as I remember), but he did do it to Maron's face when he was interviewed on WTF.

You should listen to Adomian's Who Charted episode! It's full of fun comedian impressions, including Todd Glass & Eddie Pepitone! So much fun for the stand-up fans out there! :)

• Like 1

In a hundred years when the Internet is directly beamed into our brains, it will still be funny.

AWWWW shit! It certainly will. I had forgotten that existed. Thank you Kickpuncher, thank you.

That Sarah Silverman impression is ridiculous. I listened to this at work and had no idea that wasn't actually Sarah until I checked out the youtube video.

Neil Campbell's character was great as usual.

I saw him do it live at sxsw last year. The audience was a bunch of randos who were clearly unfamiliar and didn't really give it the appreciation it deserved.

Loved this ep. Watched the archive. Oddly enough, I laughed the hardest at Ron Sexsmith fumbling through Would You Rather. And now I have to buy whatever album that song was on. Great show.

I prefer a Sexsmith over a Blacksmith any day of the week, if you catch my drift. It would have been nice if Jeffrey Ross tore into "sex"smith a little more, but I was satisfied. For the record, office chairs are the rollerblades of the rolling chair world, and everyone in wheelchairs wonder how they broke the news to their parents about their office chair job. Other advantages of rolling chairs is we always sit next to the pilot on long flights(have you ever seen a wheelchair on a plane), we have toilets built into the chair(if you haven't taken a dump while sitting in the handicap spot at a Ron Sexsmith concert, you haven't lived), and we have our own Olympics.

Ron Sexsmith was even talking about this on Twitter today with his AskRon hashtag. Whenever there's a musical guest, I think to myself "Holy shit, Scott Aukerman & I probably have the same CD collection." I keep waiting for Eels or Brendan Benson next. My mind will be blown.