đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
rhythmdev9

Antitrust (2001)

Just finished watching this bag of dicks on HBO.

Tim Robbins plays and awful amalgamation of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.

The best part of this things is the "computer code" they write and refer it makes Hackers look like a documentary.

I got good feeling pauls going to be doing Jobs soon..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357129/

it looks like it's going to be that good, based on the short clip I had seen. the guy who plays woz looks nothing like him, other then the fact that he's over sized. plus in the 80s woz wasn't fat yet. so it doesn't work.

I liked Pirates of Silicon Valley better, it had the story down for the most part, even if the time line was out of place.

How the hell does this not have more replies?

Its a movie that basically insinuates that noted philanthropist Bill Gates is more than likely using all that as a cover so he can steal peoples ideas and then have Tyler fucking Labine bash their heads in afterwards.

This and Hackers are both screaming to be done with any of the guys from Silicon Valley.

• Like 1

Also thinking about it now this movie is essentially Silicon Valley if instead of being hilarilously incompetent in his efforts to destroy Pied Piper, Gavin Belson just had Richard Hendrix murdered.

• Like 1

Hackers is fun nonsense while this movie is tedious nonsense.

As if they didn't make it obvious enough that Robbins was a thinly-veiled stand in for Gates, they even had him living in a copy of Gates smart house.

As if they didn't make it obvious enough that Robbins was a thinly-veiled stand in for Gates, they even had him living in a copy of Gates smart house.

Wasn't that the villain of nearly EVERY cyber thriller for about a decade?

They even name checked Gates when they first when into the house.

Wasn't that the villain of nearly EVERY cyber thriller for about a decade?

So fucking insane, sure Gates has made some iffy business decisions but they didnt involve assassinations like all those movies seemed to suggest.

So fucking insane, sure Gates has made some iffy business decisions but they didnt involve assassinations like all those movies seemed to suggest.

I just remember this one being especially egregious, so much so that Microsoft felt it necessary to address it (at least in a roundabout way).

At the time, he was THE technology guy that everyone knew, so it seemed like every time there was a character like that needed, good or bad (usually bad), it was usually a Bill Gates type, but they'd namedrop Gates to let you know that this guy was totally different, except for the 95% of the character that was totally based on Bill Gates. This type of character would of course become more Steve Jobs-ish as the decade went on.

It reminds me of shitty episodes of the Law and Order when they do their episodes based on something that happened on the news and they go over the top and make the person a fucking lunatic monster rather than closely base it on the actual story.

Bump for this terrible movie. I still find it amazing that Tim Robbins character cant be bothered to get an actual intimidating henchman do his murdering for him, he just gets a couple of ambitious programmers to murder people and plant evidence for him.

Given all the conspiracy theories around Bill Gates I cant help but think of this movie. It was advised on by Linux proponents who used it as a delightful opportunity to make him out to be an absolute maniac. The notion that he would have Tyler Labine who is a programmer in the movie to both commit murder and then stage the crime scenes is absolutely mental. 

It also makes digs that a company like Microsoft would never be able to have the level of talent required to accomplish what they were trying to do, which hilariously enough seems to be cloud computing. Which Microsoft only released four years after Apple's. Theres also a point where Ryan Phillipe hacks into their networks and finds camera footage of various murders that they are storing for what appears to be no other reason than to leave incriminating evidence for someone to find. 

I would like to recommend Antitrust. I purchased the DVD in the Walmart bargain bin in Alexandria MN (unnecessary information) and have found myself watching it at least once a year. As a Minnesota boy, Rachel Leigh Cook was the dream girl of many of us MN high school boys at the time (late 90s-early 00s). The premise could have been interesting, with a surveillance program on every version of a Windows clone but it never pays off. My one other reason for this movie being considered is that like Jason, I have a severe peanut allergy and the main character’s severe peanut allergy plays a major role in the plot. I think having a good allergy sufferer could really explain why it is both ludicrous but also highly terrifying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PresidentJonNixon said:

I The premise could have been interesting, with a surveillance program on every version of a Windows clone but it never pays off.

Thats almost the exact plot of The Net.