🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 55 — The Devil's Advocate: LIVE!

they did. maybe pacino pulled double duty as foley artist. if he didn't i want warner brothers to know i would buy this on blu-ray if it included a bonus audio track of pacino as foley artist.

Was it me, or did every gunshot in these clips sound like a Star Wars blaster?

Seriously, those were gun shots? I figured they were some sort of magical devil blasts. Speaking of, I hope I wasn't the only one who heard one of the early monologue discussions and thought

Satan shoots lightning, he'll hit you with a bolt

He'll have your legs wobblin' like a newborn baby colt

as Jason would say, NEXT LEVEL BONKERS

Great new catchphrase.

I haven't seen this movie since it came out, and now I REALLY want to see it again. Sadly, it's not on Netflix Instant or HBO Go...and it's 144 minutes.

• Like 1

I haven't seen this movie since it came out, and now I REALLY want to see it again. Sadly, it's not on Netflix Instant or HBO Go...and it's 144 minutes.

I'm sure it's in some sort of DVD 4-pack with at least one other movie worth watching for like 5 bucks though.

I'm sure it's in some sort of DVD 4-pack with at least one other movie worth watching for like 5 bucks though.

Those things are the fucking shit, I own like 10 of them including my personal favorite, "The Ice Cube Collection"

• Like 4

Those things are the fucking shit, I own like 10 of them including my personal favorite, "The Ice Cube Collection"

They missed a golden opportunity by not calling it "The Ice Cube Tray".

• Like 4

And it's really the only way to buy something like all of the "Hellraiser" sequels, not because it's the only way that you CAN buy them, but there's really no sense in wasting any more shelf space than you absolutely have to. I think I saw a set at Wal-Mart that had "Hellraiser" parts 3-8 and all of the "Prophecy" movies for like $7.50 or something.

Also, this episode was so good I listened to it twice today. I love it when the gang gets worked up about movies but at the same time there's enough crazy movie material to do great bits (jason snoring, the screenwriter... amahzing)

I still need to see this movie, I think I'm going to search for it next time I'm at the video store.

it seemed like Pacino-Devil had pinned all his hopes on Keanu to father the Antichrist. Yet we know he impregnated at least one other woman, thus Connie Nielsen, his daughter (assuming she was human and not a demon or something). Why not hedge his bets and go out and impregnate a bunch of women? Why could he only father one son at a time? And why wouldn't his son, Keanu, be the Antichrist? Why did it have to be his grandson? Did the Antichrist have to be a pure-blood? Was Keanu a muggle?

I think it was the idea that Keanu was part human/part devil while everyone who worked under Pacino were full on demons. I too don't get why Keanu wasn't the Antichrist since most popular stories concerning the subject involve Satan breeding with a human, or in the case of American Horror Story, an dead being impregnating a human.

As for the four pack DVDs, I love those fucking things. The Batman collection, Matrix collection. And my favorite, the action collection which has The Limey, Black Mask, War with Jason Statham and Jet Li, and Mean Guns which needs its own episode because it is an insane movie with Ice-T and Christopher Lambert.

As for the four pack DVDs, I love those fucking things. The Batman collection, Matrix collection. And my favorite, the action collection which has The Limey, Black Mask, War with Jason Statham and Jet Li, and Mean Guns which needs its own episode because it is an insane movie with Ice-T and Christopher Lambert.

One word: "Critters"

They get some pretty weird combinations sometimes depending who has the rights to what and if there are enough films in the series to pad it out. I think the "Rush Hour" set has parts 1 through 3 and then "Money Talks", which is also a Brett Ratner/Chris Tucker flick, but certainly more for adults than the other movies. On the other hand, sometimes there are too MANY films, so you're left with a "Dirty Harry" set that doesn't have "The Dead Pool". I just looked, and the set that "Devil's Advocate" comes in also includes "Heat", "Seven", and "Insomnia", which are all AWESOME movies...that you probably already own. I mean, who doesn't have "Seven" and "Heat" at least?

Yeah four packs a great for their price and compactness, plus they really bolster a DVD collection, 757 and counting here.

Things that you picked up on some subconscious level but it takes HDTGM to fully realize and laugh at:

The 'Jogging District' and its sweet location for all the jogging that will be involved in their lives.

'STOP... RESET!

The weird racial nonsense. Although for the purpose of jamming in a collegiate wink - they missed the opportunity to name Pacino's character 'Natas Diabolocus' [you know at least one writer was pushing for that]

The Jogging District had me floored

• Like 1

I just looked, and the set that "Devil's Advocate" comes in also includes "Heat", "Seven", and "Insomnia", which are all AWESOME movies...that you probably already own. I mean, who doesn't have "Seven" and "Heat" at least?

I'm not sure without looking at my collection, but there's a decent chance that I had (well, probably still have, even if I have no way to watch it) Seven on VHS and never got it on DVD or BR. And I've actually never even seen Heat. So I'll be all over this if they have it at Target (they usually have a whole shelf of these sets).

I remember about the mural controversy and what they did was just smear out the mural that they mention in the podcast, but the same people are sculpted come alive.

• Like 1

My Last name is Lomax and I was just wondering where you learnt about the meaning of Lomax? It is incorrect as it comes from Lumhalghs family who came in the Norman invasion.

My Last name is Lomax and I was just wondering where you learnt about the meaning of Lomax? It is incorrect as it comes from Lumhalghs family who came in the Norman invasion.

I'm pretty sure that it was just a play on words on the screenwriter's part is all. The explanation that they gave for the name on the show sounds about right, was in no way intended to be an explanation of the real origin of the name, and it's probably the closest anything came to being "subtle" in this movie.

• Like 1

It bears mentioning that this movie was somewhat well reviewed. Amazingly it has a 66% on rotten tomatoes, certified fresh. Not that rotten tomatoes is the final word on the quality of a movie, but still several notable critics gave it a positive review.

Yeah I think this is the third highest rated movie done by HDTGM behind Fast 5.

RT score:

Burlesque - 36%

Season of the Witch - 10%

Old Dogs - 5%

Last Airbeder - 6%

Drive Angry - 46%

Battlefield Earth - 2%

All About Steve - 6%

Sucker Punch - 23%

Fast Five - 78% Highest

Mac and Me - 0% Tied for Lowest

The Tourist - 20%

The Love Guru - 14%

Crank 2: High Voltage - 64%

Green Lantern - 26%

The Back-Up Plan - 19%

Skyline - 15%

Gigli - 7%

The Wicker Man - 15%

Punisher: War Zone - 27%

I Know Who Killed Me - 9%

Leprechaun in the Hood - 33%

The Room - 35%

Superman III - 24%

Catwoman - 9%

Jingle All the Way - 17%

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - 24%

Crank - 61%

Trespass - 10%

Cool As Ice - 8%

Birdemic - 20%

88 Minutes - 5%

Abduction - 4%

The Adventures of Pluto Nash - 6%

Tiptoes - 29%

On the Line - 19%

Speed 2: Cruise Control - 2%

Bad Ass - No Score

Godzilla - 26%

Judge Dredd - 18%

Spiderman 3 - 63% (actually shocked by this one)

Batman & Robin - 12%

Wild Wild West - 21%

Jaws 4: The Revenge - 0% Tied for Lowest

Road House - 43%

Barb Wire - 29%

Super Mario Bros. - 13%

Sleepaway Camp - 70% (shocked by this as well)

Cobra - 13%

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 - 48%

Liz and Dick - 40%

Reindeer Games - 25%

Anaconda - 38%

The Odd Life of Timothy Green - 38%

The Devil's Advocate - 66%

• Like 3

Ryan, did you just compile that yourself? If so, bravo.

edit: also, is it weird if I want to put it in a spreadsheet and organize them from worst to best?

Yeah Rotten Tomatoes makes searching for these pretty easy. The hardest ones to find were The Room and On the Line oddly enough. And no it's not weird to make a spreadsheet of that. I find that is the best way to keep track of what movies I own, and it will definitely help determine the crap from the bile in concern to these movies.

So great, love what you guys are doing here, can't wait for new season of BURNING LOVE! I had to double check my dates but I remember pre Y2K had a lot of devil centric movies: DEVIL'S ADVOCATE (1997), END OF DAYS (1999), and STIGMATA (1999). I loved the scene where Keanu peeks in the door and Jeffrey Jones is schredding papers like nobody's business. Interestingly enough not Jeffrey Jone's first role as the devil's assistant he had a great role in STAY TUNED (1992) with John Ritter "Set phasers on.....TORTURE!".

Just caught THE ARRIVAL (1996) with Charlie Sheen, three words, A Ma Zing! I dare you not to climax when Sheen gets turned into a fat Mexican in the alien human "configurator". It's like CONTACT but without all the bullshit, that should have been their tag line, oh and our alien movie actually has fucking aliens in it. Plus an actual twist at the end the only thing missing is some titty shots and Sheen raw doggin it with some Mexican prostitute.

Great job guys!