🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 11 — The Battle Continues

It's bad enough when rules lawyers ruin live D&D sessions like the Penny Arcade guys at PAX.

And now they are sucking the fun out of this podcast.

The only reason why I brought up the extra action rule is that it will help them, especially since their DM is intent on having them face foes that are way more powerful than the players are. If anything gives them an edge, they should be using it.

wow 2 combats completed in one episode!

Things definitely went smoother this week so congrats on that part.

Also have to say i laughed at the forum guy who's handle is 'RIP Spirit Bear' lol.

YOU CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL

Hahaha sorry.

I promise I wouldn't have him any other way because he's a hilarious human being and they do make it a point to ask him to fill in the blanks...but he really is like a kid with ADHD at a birthday party on an ice cream cake & Hawaiian Punch bender. This episode was himat his bestestworstest. I've wondered what a Blaine appearance on CBB would be like. I think the universe would fold in on itself if a joke opportunity went by with neither Aukerman nor Capatch milking it.

Survived sinking the very star ship they were on

Lived through a capsized pontoon

Bested and mechanical beast

Befriended/discovered other survivors

Infiltrated the "Collector" fortress

Took out TWO patrols.

All this at first level. Imagine what could happen when the group gets to second level (hint).

Seems the group would do well to follow Mildred’s lead a bit more often. She appears to be the only one thinking ahead. I think she can get them places, as long as she doesn’t accidently hang herself and Amarth(sp?) doesn’t slice the captive in half.

That said, it is amusing to hear her in the background “Don’t you think we should…” while the guys are hacking people up and stealing their cloths. The disguises they are planning would be so weak I’m starting to think they just like getting dead people naked. I think someone might notice a giant barbarian with two halves of a Klan outfit slapped on his face.

Enjoying the show, keep it up.

They should and they shouldn't listen to Mildred more often.

On the one hand, they should listen to her because she is, by far, the smartest at playing this game and the most likely to ensure everyone's longterm survival.

On the other hand, they shouldn't listen to her because it totally fits with their characters NOT to listen, and (stupidly) charge ahead without considering the consequences. Plus it is so much fun to listen to.

"Running in the Direction of Mildred" was an EP, Blackie, not a full-length album. I'm tearing off a corner of your slacker rock toten chit card.

On Slow Century, Stephen said "I was smoking so much grass that summer I really thought 'Running in the Direction of Mildred' was going to be our breakthrough hit. It was only months later after my THC levels returned to near-normal that I realized that a song about the finer points of mid-19th-century water reclamation policy might not have mass appeal. i was also listening to a lot of Tracy Thorne at the time and feeling very mopey."

Did anyone else have a difficult time understanding the survey link that Brian gave out at the end of the podcast? Could someone put up the link on this thread?

I think Bartho Shett's new laugh might be my favorite development so far. And it's weird that people thought they were having less fun because of the rules...? The vibe I got was more upbeat in this episode from the start, maybe because it was much more active and not just doomed people listlessly wandering in a strange landscape after taking 50 wrong turns. I really can't wait for Sark's reveal at the end of how he envisioned the campaign unfolding.

It's great to learn more and more about D&D. Having had no idea that someone with a dead character can re-enter later with a new one, I just assumed there were two outcomes - everyone dies or the DM basically says "Huzzah, you win! Here's some EXP."

But please, PLEASE let Gerry's new character's entry be a complete surprise. No spoiler pictures, no spoiler episode descriptions. That will blow everybody away.

Did anyone else have a difficult time understanding the survey link that Brian gave out at the end of the podcast? Could someone put up the link on this thread?

I messed it up a few times too so I put the correct link in my signature. I also had to manually shrink the comment box on the last page to be able to see the submit/finish button.

Awesome as always. They need to make 2 hours long episodes and more Sarah please :).

• Like 3

In my experience too many DM's call it a day once they know all the rules, but the real mastery is in learning the rules then trashing everything you don't like.

Unfortunately I haven't learned 4th yet, and don't have a lot of time between sessions to do it. So I'll learn it on the fly during our game and I'll stop in here to gather pro-tips. When I feel like I've got a handle on various rules I'll start refining it a bit. Just in time for D&D Next... *sigh*

In the meantime, keep the tips coming! We all read these forums. I hope these a-holes don't screw up and get themselves murdered before they find out what the hell is going on on this planet. I give 'em a 50/50 shot.

• Like 5

Awesome as always. They need to make 2 hours long episodes and more Sarah please :).

I agree. More more more. I'm always checking the time on this podcast because I'm thinking "Shit! Only 20 more minutes left before I have to wait a week...".

Also, this show is responsible for me playing D&D & Pathfinder weekly now. I checked out the 1st episode and IMMEDIATELY fell in love with not just the show but the idea of Campaign podcasts. At the tables I play at, I'd say 1/2 the people are familiar with Nerd Poker and I've had a couple laugh-filled conversations with people about the Spirit Bear, Brian's love/hate with guys with 12 pack abs,and Blackie Greene's adverts. Hahaha one guy wondered why Sark only draws dick and vag maps hahaha.

Ah I was thinking they'd be escaping the water world soon on a stolen spaceboat. Doesn't matter, I'm mainly hanging around hoping they find that healing breast milk island again.

Unfortunately that would be infringing copyright, "Breast Milk Island" has already been picked up by Fox for pilot season ZOOOM

This joke is ©2013. All rights reserved.

• Like 1

Unfortunately that would be infringing copyright, "Breast Milk Island" has already been picked up by Fox for pilot season ZOOOM This joke is ©2013. All rights reserved.

Also unfortunately, Fox has decided to cancel the pilot because it looked like it might actually be successful.

ahhhhhhhhh so bummed i wish i seen this sooner ima fan of brian's and i live close to where he was doing his stand up maybe next time you come to the midwest make a stop in davenport Iowa i will make sure to go and bring a bag of the stickyist ickyist bud we can get in Iowa

Created an account just to say I remember when Baa Baa Black Sheep was on NBC in the late 70's. I am so old. Robert Conrad and the battery on his shoulder commercials.