🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 114 — Surfing Rainbows

Well, if you want your Howard fix, listen to Rafflecast Ep.13. Howard, Jon Daly, Brett, and Cyrus are amazing.

I second this. Howard is fucking in the zone on Rafflecast. You can hear how happy he was making that track, and I feel like Ku needs to delve more into this on Tooch.

I think Ku and Wie did a good job of just going with the flow once they realized that they weren't going to rein him in, most likely because he seems like a genuinely good and reasonably smart guy who just won't stop talking. Definitely not one of my favorite episodes (or even an average one), but there were a lot of fun moments and I never felt uncomfortable listening to it, so it was fine.

• Like 3

This was for sure a different episode and Steve-O obviously drove this whole podcast. He does seem like a really nice and great guy but he just LOVES to talk and talk and talk .I listened to the whole thing, It was actually a pretty fun listen, He got along really well with Howard and seemed to have a genuinely good time on the show!

It's fun to have some Non Earwolf and comedy veterans on to hear their take on things but I totally can understand why people would shut this off after a bit. I wanted to keep clearing Steve-O's voice for him...dude is hoarse as hell.

• Like 4

I couldn't even make it to the Music Chart. Steve-O is a horrendous attention whore. Please don't have him on again.

I, regretfully, have to agree. This was the worst Whooch ever. I didn't finish. It was so bad that I shut it off and listened to Keith Stern and the 'Dangerous' Trans loving Girl (aka white Robin) instead...but only because it was better than subjecting my senses to SEPTA.

edit: (FWIW, Both shows are my fav-o-rites. I accept this as a momentary flaw that accentuates the amazing nature of the WC/TC podcast reign.)

This would've been a fine episode of WTF or You Made It Weird. But the thing that makes Who Charted great is the dynamic between the hosts and guests. The Jessica St. Clair episode is a perfect example: We got to know Jessica better, which was great, but what made it fun was her chemistry with Kulap and the way she interacted with Howard. The fact that Steve-O had several shared interests and qualities with both Howard and Kulap only amounted to missed opportunities. It felt like he came in with the intention of telling his story. It's worth telling, I'm sure, but this isn't the podcast for that; it doesn't serve the story well, and it doesn't respect what the podcast does.

• Like 3

Kudos for Steve-o's honesty, but yeah wish Howard and Kulap were able to wrangle him a little bit. Still enjoyed it though, just not my fav I guess.

This would've been a fine episode of WTF or You Made It Weird. But the thing that makes Who Charted great is the dynamic between the hosts and guests. The Jessica St. Clair episode is a perfect example: We got to know Jessica better, which was great, but what made it fun was her chemistry with Kulap and the way she interacted with Howard. The fact that Steve-O had several shared interests and qualities with both Howard and Kulap only amounted to missed opportunities. It felt like he came in with the intention of telling his story. It's worth telling, I'm sure, but this isn't the podcast for that; it doesn't serve the story well, and it doesn't respect what the podcast does.

I think this is exactly how I feel, honestly. I mean, I'm all for people spilling their deepest feelings and beliefs on shows like WTF or YMIW, but that's not what Who Charted? is about. I feel like if Steve-O had been reined in and pulled back, this could have been a good episode, if they were just able to curb Steve-O's natural tendencies to just keep talking.

Maybe it was a comfort thing...I don't think that Howard or Kulap had a history with Steve-O before this, and while they're more than comfortable telling their other industry friends to cram it for a minute while they get to the charts, they may have been uncomfortable to do it with someone brand new.

Also, I personally think every single episode of every podcast anywhere could benefit from some Jessica St. Clair. Or Marissa Wompler.

• Like 1

Jesus, a lot of hate on this episode. I'm not a Steve-O fan or anything, but he was just sharing his opinion and talking about his life. That's not a bad thing.

I guarantee he'd never heard the show, hadn't met Kulap or Howard before, and went in like it was just a conversational interview (albeit mainly one sided).

He's clearly a decent guy who's changed his life around.

- About hypocrisy, he admitted that he's done things he's not proud of that are hypocritical.

- About the Osama conspiracy, he has every right to question that. There really isn't proof, other than a bunch of people saying it happened.

I think this is exactly how I feel, honestly. I mean, I'm all for people spilling their deepest feelings and beliefs on shows like WTF or YMIW, but that's not what Who Charted? is about.

Come on. Do you really think Steve-O listens to or will be on a lot of podcasts? There's not a chance in hell he'd seek out an appearance on WTF or something.

• Like 5

Jesus, a lot of hate on this episode. I'm not a Steve-O fan or anything, but he was just sharing his opinion and talking about his life. That's not a bad thing.

That's not a bad thing in and of itself, but the way he went about it was rude. He constantly talked over Howard and Kulap, and never seemed to connect with them, even though they had a lot in common. Worse than that, he never seemed interested in connecting with them.

I guarantee he'd never heard the show, hadn't met Kulap or Howard before, and went in like it was just a conversational interview (albeit mainly one sided).

Is that a good excuse? This is a 45-60 minute show that he could listen to literally anywhere. I'm sure he's a busy man, but is it so unreasonable to expect guests to listen to the show once or twice? Even supposing that he didn't have a reasonable chance to do that, isn't it likely that they explained the format before hitting record?

Come on. Do you really think Steve-O listens to or will be on a lot of podcasts? There's not a chance in hell he'd seek out an appearance on WTF or something.

Why not? It seemed obvious to me that he wants to tell his story, promote veganism, and share his opinions. It's not as if podcast appearances are beneath Steve-O. I doubt Mel Brooks listens to a ton of podcasts, but he was the most recent guest on WTF.

I would never expect a guest to listen before coming on as a prerequisite. I would however expect that the guest be respectful to the hosts, and let them drive their own show. What was fascinating about this train wreck was Steve-O's uncanny ability to walk a tight rope where he was being more oblivious than rude. Like a little kid that wouldn't shut up about his new toys. His heart wasn't in the wrong place, but somehow that just made it more tragic because it forced Howard and Kulap to just roll with it.

• Like 5

I would never expect a guest to listen before coming on as a prerequisite. I would however expect that the guest be respectful to the hosts, and let them drive their own show. What was fascinating about this train wreck was Steve-O's uncanny ability to walk a tight rope where he was being more oblivious than rude. Like a little kid that wouldn't shut up about his new toys. His heart wasn't in the wrong place, but somehow that just made it more tragic because it forced Howard and Kulap to just roll with it.

I get what you're saying, but a person doesn't have to be mean-spirited to be rude. I don't think Steve-O came across as mean-spirited, and I'm not trying to judge his character as a person, but I think his behavior was rude. I think you're right that it put Howard and Kulap in a bind, and, for what it's worth, they seemed to like him.

Also, I want to clarify that I didn't mean that Earwolf or the hosts should ask the guests to listen to the show before coming on. I'm talking more about basic curiosity and preparation on behalf of the guest. Speaking for myself, I would want to know what I was getting myself into!

• Like 2

Haha, I don't get all the Steve-O hate, I thought it was great and a completely different dynamic. Steve-O might be better suited for Howard Stern or the like, but still had some great stories and sincerity. He might have a million hypocrisies, but I bet a lot of us do if we were ever taken to task about our beliefs. It's like he's saying about the vegans shopping at whole foods thing - you can't ever escape contributing to the problem, you can only choose how you participate in it.

Loved the episode, nowhere near the worst guest.

• Like 3

This was certainly an abnormal episode of Who Charted? so I get the hate, but I really liked this episode (Though I will admit when I saw the guest was Steve-O, I said to nobody in particular "Oh, boy.") That being said I enjoyed Steve's stories, even though they were rather repetitive and dominating, and though I don't agree with everything Steve had to say, he is OK in my book, and this episode was a win.

I saw Steve-O was the guest, groaned, downloaded it anyway hoping Howard and Ku would be able to wrestle that bear, then I finished it wondering why Ku and Wi even showed up.

This should've been a premium episode. At least then I could've asked for my money back. I get that its fun to have an outside guest on the show but, a little pre-production with this guy would've done wonders. Tell him its a comedy podcast, TELL HIM YOU ARE THE HOSTS, lay out the format of the show to him, and he wouldn't have hijacked it and turned it into Steve-O's Dead Mom Rainbow Surfin' Conspiracy Hour. Unacceptable, even for a guest. Take that shit over to WTF

Whooch is one of the most well structured and entertaining podcasts on the Earwolf network, you guys can do so much better than this, and I'm 100% sure that everyone on this message board who is complaining is doing it from a place of love and concern for the integrity of the show.

Also, he said on his twitter that he "got some serious stuff off his chest in this interview" and then linked to Who Charted, so at least we can take solace in the fact that Who Charted may have gotten a few more fans today.

Thanks Steve-O, don't call us, we'll call you

Sweet Christ, I'm only 5:32 into this episode and I had to check the forums to see if I was the only one who couldn't tolerate Steve-O's voice. Seeing all the comments for other reasons not to bother listening, I'm happy to make no attempt beyond this point.

Here's looking forward to JUST Howard and Ku this Friday!

When I saw that this episode had 42 comments I feared for the worst. Haven't listened yet. Is this another Chris Gore sitch?

When I saw that this episode had 42 comments I feared for the worst. Haven't listened yet. Is this another Chris Gore sitch?

It's much worse. At least Gore let Howard and Kulap get a word in occasionally. They had to scrap AN ENTIRE CHART because Steve O talked so much.

I don't think it was as bad as Gore.

Kudos for some really good discussion on the last page. Even though I didn't have a huge problem with the episode, I can absolutely see why others did, and I think people are making a really good case for both sides of the argument, in a (mostly) constructive, civil way.

• Like 1

Gore had horrible intentions and an over-inflated view of himself; Steve-O seemed at least genuine (if verbose) and just not aware of what the show normally is. If you are of the iPhone listening set like myself, this is a prime episode for the Howard "double speed" playback option. There are some good moments in there, just have to quickly get past the rambling.

ipodtouchadjustingplaybackspeed.png

• Like 2

It's much worse. At least Gore let Howard and Kulap get a word in occasionally. They had to scrap AN ENTIRE CHART because Steve O talked so much.

I don't know if it's worse, but it's definitely bad in different ways than the Chris Gore episode was. Chris Gore was outwardly creepy and slimy, to the point where I felt really bad that Kulap had to be sleazed on by him so hard. I don't think there was anything really creepy or pervy about Steve-O, but it was more that he seemed to use the episode as his personal soapbox (where he preached about things he's allegedly passionate about but is also a total hypocrite about) and a therapy session.

As other people have said, it's not that what Steve-O was saying shouldn't be said, he's a guy who has feelings and beliefs just like anyone else, but it just wasn't the right tone for the show, at all. On a show like WTF, what he was talking about would have been precisely what listeners expect for that show.

Then there's the fact that Steve-O wasn't a very considerate guest. He did constantly talk over Howard and Kulap and their efforts to steer the show into more familiar (and entertaining) territory. To me, it almost seems like he came to the podcast with an agenda to get some things off his chest (he openly admitted this on Twitter), but that's not what Who Charted? is about.

Some people seem to be defending the fact that Steve-O owns up to his hypocrisies, like it's an absolution. It's true, we're all hypocrites from time to time about things, but I think it's pretty clear that Steve-O actively and willingly does hypocritical things if he's motivated by something like money and fame...being a hypocrite for your own gains is the absolute worst kind of hypocrite.

It's not as bad as the Gore episode. As many have pointed out, at least Steve-O wasn't just about self-promotion and being a dick. In fact, by the end I felt sort of bad for the guy. It just wasn't the right format for what he wanted to do. He genuinely seemed like he was tired of being the Jackass dude, and was pretty clueless of how to break out of that...except by going on and on and on about his journey.

• Like 2

Steve-O's Dead Mom Rainbow Surfin' Conspiracy Hour

This does sound fun, though, in an "it might actually be a crazy Japanese game show" kind of way.

Sign in to follow this