🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cursesandcran

Please stop with case closed

Matt, the last one you did was pretty rough and I hope it was the last one. I mean the guy had a fair point. When I heard that skit, I was pretty uncomfortable with it too once the gun turn happened. I'm not a big advocate for the "too soon" argument, but I was still so full of emotion about what had happened that, while I don't think it was in poor taste, having a gun be the end of the scene wasn't the only option you could have taken. And then the way you treated the guy, you kept saying he had a right to his opinion but then you demanded that he justify it in a way that satisfied you. Then steam rolled him with your own because you have obviously had the "poor taste" discussion before with your comedian friends so you had a very solid, very prepared stance. He was nowhere near as ready to talk on the same level as the four of you and he was just a guy who thought he was being a stand up person even though he went about it in a lame ass way. I really hope you consider discontinuing the segment. Yes you spark discussion, but its only about things you either really care about or the person you're talking to only cares enough about to get on a podcast. And then after you "finish" discussing, you do a skit that is either a joke about a phrase they said or how poorly they defended their argument. It just seems like there are better was of interacting with fans that don't make them sound like assholes. I don't care for it and I'm guessing, by writing this, that other people feel similarly.

P.S. I realize that I'm doing exactly what the guy did, in that I signed up to complain. To be honest, after hearing that show, I thought you might actually read this. I am probably being a hypocrate, but there are worse things. I am a huge fan of the show. I listen regularly and tell my friends about how its the best podcast of 2013.

Long live Micheal Cock Duncan

Case Closed is definitely not for everyone. And it's so inherently non-comedic (except the Star Trek debate) and confrontational that as much as I do enjoy it, I don't think the show would be worse without it. The show is capable of tackling issues on its own without having to worry about walking the line between spirited debate and bullying.

I think Matt made a good choice in giving a little warning before CC on the last episode, though. And there was a solid hour of show before it, so it's not like those who chose to skip the segment were short changed.

Maybe we need a case closed to debate whether or not to close case closed?

Besser can be a bully sometimes but he seems to be aware of it. The purpose of having a debate especially on a comedy improv/show isn't to hear two people conduct themselves cordially. I agree w Jacob C, the show tends to tackle the sensitive issues on its own. Case closed is basically a form of fan interaction, done via phone/skype no less. Prob best to have the segment kept within Star Trek minutia territory, that way we can hear a heated discussion w/o having to hear some everyman earwolf listener get chewed out for being on the wrong side of the culture wars.

I loved it. I've listened to comedy DJ talk radio all my life. I was engaged and entertained. And I super love it when in improv they'll be super aggressive about an issue. Can it with the qualifiers, always be prepared to apologize, and go nuts.

I think plenty of people like the segment. Besides all the people featured know they are coming on to a comedy podcast to argue with people who make jokes for a living. Serious topic or no, they are willing participants and there was a disclaimer before the segment for the listeners.

The podcast is free.

Don't go through the trouble to sign up, just turn your god damn Iphone off when the segment comes on. Geez.

• Like 1

Just because the podcast is free doesn't mean we don't have the right to weigh its strengths and weaknesses. I think improv4humans is the best podcast in the universe, but I think Case Closed is its weakest segment. The show is still evolving, and Matt seems to appreciate our feedback when it's constructive.

• Like 2

I usually like Case Closed, but in the most recent segment, when Matt Besser accused the guy of "censorship," it really left a bad taste. Besser knows that the guy didn't and doesn't have any power to censor him. Criticism is not censorship!

I point that out to say that there is definitely a power disparity that makes things dicey. For starters, this is Matt's show, so he already has home field advantage. For another thing, Matt is a legendary professional comedy improviser! For another, he's surrounded by three guests, also improvisers, usually UCB up-and-comers or regulars, themselves. They are almost always going to support Matt in the debate. Yes, the other guy gets to speak and respond, and Matt and his guests are respectful of that, but, then, the guy fades back into obscurity, and his perspective gets served up in a scene, usually a very funny scene.

Someone suggested that keeping it at Star Trek levels is safer, but maybe the opposite is true. The gun control segment was very well done, I thought, in part because Matt and his guests were really careful due to the weight of the topic. The "too soon" segment didn't seem to walk that fine line as well.

Case Closed has the highest risk and highest reward of any recurring segment. I wouldn't want Matt to end it, all together.

The podcast is free.

True, but here's a list of other things that are free:

• Every show and movie on broadcast television.
  • Many shows on cable television, thanks to online streaming.
  • Every show on terrestrial radio.
  • Every song on the radio.
  • Every song on ad-supported streaming sites like Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, etc.
  • Full album streams on NPR, Pitchfork, record label sites, etc.
  • Self-released music on sites like Bandcamp, SoundCloud, DatPiff, etc.
  • Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Google, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
  • Millions of other websites.
  • Thousands of competing podcasts.
  • Every book, magazine, newspaper, DVD, or CD available in your local library.

None of these things are exempt from criticism simply because they're free.

True, but here's a list of other things that are free:

• Every show and movie on broadcast television.
  • Many shows on cable television, thanks to online streaming.
  • Every show on terrestrial radio.
  • Every song on the radio.
  • Every song on ad-supported streaming sites like Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, etc.
  • Full album streams on NPR, Pitchfork, record label sites, etc.
  • Self-released music on sites like Bandcamp, SoundCloud, DatPiff, etc.
  • Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Google, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
  • Millions of other websites.
  • Thousands of competing podcasts.
  • Every book, magazine, newspaper, DVD, or CD available in your local library.

None of these things are exempt from criticism simply because they're free.

Agreed. I was not saying that the podcast can't be criticized, Jacob and Wendall have good points. I also didn't mean to imply that this guy doesn't have the right to voice his opinion. Simply pointing out that the easiest way to avoid things that you don't like is to just turn it off like all of the entertainment options you listed above.

Registering a forum name just to make one negative comment is a waste of time, especially in this case because Cursesandcran can sense the irony in his own post. "P.S. I realize that I'm doing exactly what the guy did, in that I signed up to complain. To be honest, after hearing that show, I thought you might actually read this. I am probably being a hypocrate, but there are worse things. I am a huge fan of the show. I listen regularly and tell my friends about how its the best podcast of 2013."

I think that this guy wants to get in on some of the cased closed action. That or he just likes to shit on stuff via the internet. Either way he didn't seem like he was nearly as interested in voicing legitimate and constructive criticism as he was calling Matt a bully for controlling a debate with a fan who knew what he was getting himself into.

To be honest I agree CC is a more "non-comedic" segment and when you hold up the bits that come from it compared to the one word suggestions or youtube clips they aren't as strong. But I don't think it should stop, Matt seems to like having people on who have opposite or opposing views and it is his show. Maybe one of the case closed segments will yield an insanely funny bit in the future, or maybe someone will enlighten Matt and be able to defend their ideals more efficiently. I don't know, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to clear up my previous vitriol towards Cursesandcran.

\

Edited by Bruce Reid Robinson II

Agreed. I was not saying that the podcast can't be criticized, Jacob and Wendall have good points. I also didn't mean to imply that this guy doesn't have the right to voice his opinion. Simply pointing out that the easiest way to avoid things that you don't like is to just turn it off like all of the entertainment options you listed above.

Registering a forum name just to make one negative comment is a waste of time, especially in this case because Cursesandcran can sense the irony in his own post. "P.S. I realize that I'm doing exactly what the guy did, in that I signed up to complain. To be honest, after hearing that show, I thought you might actually read this. I am probably being a hypocrate, but there are worse things. I am a huge fan of the show. I listen regularly and tell my friends about how its the best podcast of 2013."

I think that this guy wants to get in on some of the cased closed action. That or he just likes to shit on stuff via the internet. Either way he didn't seem like he was nearly as interested in voicing legitimate and constructive criticism as he was calling Matt a bully for controlling a debate with a fan who knew what he was getting himself into.

To be honest I agree CC is a more "non-comedic" segment and when you hold up the bits that come from it compared to the one word suggestions or youtube clips they aren't as strong. But I don't think it should stop, Matt seems to like having people on who have opposite or opposing views and it is his show. Maybe one of the case closed segments will yield an insanely funny bit in the future, or maybe someone will enlighten Matt and be able to defend their ideals more efficiently. I don't know, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to clear up my previous vitriol towards Cursesandcran.

\

Cool. I wasn't trying to pick on you, just taking issue with the argument that podcasts are different because they're free.

As for just not listening, I get the point, but, for me, indifference is the response I give to something I don't like. When I do like and care about something, I'll get excited about it both positively and negatively.

On the other hand, I love the idea of Cursesandcran concocting a way to get on Cased Closed by complaining about Case Closed.

Prob best to have the segment kept within Star Trek minutia territory, that way we can hear a heated discussion w/o having to hear some everyman earwolf listener get chewed out for being on the wrong side of the culture wars.

They don't have to get 'chewed out' if they just decline the offer to be on the show... And they've been pretty gentle most of the time. They're not trying to alienate listeners, just get different opinions from which scenes could develop.

• Like 1

If anything, the biggest problem with the segment is that the guests usually don't hold the line to their original argument. I found that the most recent one wasn't as good as it could be just because the guy started backpedaling immediately.

• Like 1

If anything, the biggest problem with the segment is that the guests usually don't hold the line to their original argument. I found that the most recent one wasn't as good as it could be just because the guy started backpedaling immediately.

Yes 100% agree. I thought the OP's point, before I clicked the post, was going to be this very reason:" Stop doing it because nobody has stood up for themselves". Don't blame Matt, or the other people on the show, because these guys are critical over the internet then wilt completely from, or can't produce a logical argument, during a conversation they agreed to. That's silly.

That last guy just seemed to like saying things only to retract them. He did it with his first post in the Sklars' forums, coming in to say how he only registered just to credit the Sklars. When someone pointed out he seems to have registered more to criticize I4H and he was probably in the wrong forum, he agreed and thanked them. Then did the sam ething in the phone conversation. I HOPE they don't cancel the segment just because people agreeing to be on it seem to be the types who like to bail on their original position when confronted with any sort of counter.

Now I'm thinking the OP, who registered just to make this post, is a troll hoping Matt will invite him on to discuss this post. Which is some enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a mystery shit. But reading through some of the longer posts above I don't seem to be the first to think this way.

I've just gotten used to the segment finally being called "Case Closed" and now there are those calling for abolition?

It does sort of take away from the zaniness of the show, and sometimes it can be uncomfortable to listen to. However I think it does a great job of helping us get to know Matt and the guests better, and it serves as a unique forum for viewer interaction.

The whole idea is to call people out on their random complaining. The nature of the internet is to be able to complain anonymously without repercussion. I seem to recall Matt explaining that he thought that was nonsense and created Case Closed specifically to hold critics accountable.

While not necessarily the funniest parts of the show, they're a fascinating mix of comedy and debate tactics. It's true that Matt is a formidable opponent and the tables are unbalanced, but it's not like Matt goes around finding people to pick on so they'll call him up. These people hop in and complain, and when offered they agree to defend themselves on the podcast.

Imagine how boring it would be for i4h to invite me or Hot Slunch or other Case Closed fans on and we all just agreed. Or maybe we could spice it up, and I'd backpedal and start complaining about how it's not "Commenter's Corner" anymore and how the idea of the Pope being the Grand Wizard is really offensive and suddenly i4h isn't even in the running for greatest podcast ever.

I guess that would still be kind of fun.

I am happy to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't like the segment very much. I do see some very valid points about the spirit of the segment but that isn't enough to make me want to hear another one. I noticed that my motives have been called into question several times and would just like to say that I have absolutely no desire to go on and do a case closed. That's the whole point; to not have to listen to another one; so what kind of helper monkey would want to perpetuate it? The only argument I care enough about to make is that I think it is time that could be better spent doing a "crap on youtube" or almost anything else and that isn't a strong argument. And because of my ability to fast forward, I can easily still enjoy the show if it never goes away.

Personally I love the Cased Closed segments, typically even more than the skits they inspire. Everyone calling in seems to acknowledge that it's a civil debate on a comedy podcast and there haven't been any harsh hang-ups or people who couldn't handle it.

I also like how it involves just the average joe, almost like the man on the street interviews. Kudos to the guests on these segments, even though Matt gets pretty in their face they all seem to keep it cool.

I like cased closed. I'd like them even more if they were all like when they were discussing cyborgs in Star Trek just silly enough.

I also genuinely enjoy the discussions about gun control, political views, religion etc.

Sign in to follow this