đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
theandrewkelley

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

This is indeed a movie that is a messy pile of shit. As a bonus, it doesn't get the blame (credit?) for being so for some reason. Maybe because the Bryan Adams theme, "Everything I Do," inspired so much hate itself that it distracted people from the movie's awfulness? Anyway, because I feel this film's crapitude is underrated, I feel it is ripe for destroying on a podcast episode.

Alan Rickman is still fun in it, though.

I agree this one is ripe for the pickings. A huge blockbuster, shite on so many levels but still fun to watch (or maybe that's just nostalgia talking, I haven't watched it in a while). I wouldn't know where to begin. The witch, the american accent, Alan Rickman, Bryan Adams, tree houses, an unnecessary close up of a steaming turd.

The legend of Kevin Costner, king of the Razzies throughout the 90s begins with him not even trying to maintain a British accent and just gave up throughout the course of filming.

I am glad for this movie solely because it spawned Robin Hood: Men in Tights, which is probably my favorite version of Robin Hood.

• Like 1

I love this little dig at PoT

tumblr_meh5l21MMY1qb3ns3o3_250.gif

• Like 5

Kevin Costner is to British accents as Scarlett Johansen is to Russian accents.

Was there a thing in the late 80s/early 90s Hollywood where you didn't need to be able to do a decent English accent to play an English person? I ask that because of Prince of Theives and Coppola's Dracula.

Was there a thing in the late 80s/early 90s Hollywood where you didn't need to be able to do a decent English accent to play an English person? I ask that because of Prince of Theives and Coppola's Dracula.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

None.

Like, at all.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

They have to do this movie. Kevin Costner is such an overwhelming goober in this, like I love the guy as an actor but good lord he was fucking terrible. 

Him acting like he's a little forest sprite will never not be entertaining to me. I also recently learned that the Sherwood Forest playset I owned as kid was actually a re-purposed Star Wars Dagobah Swamp toy. Which was irrelevant to the four fireman who had to cut it open in order to free my finger which I had gotten stuck in it. 

Ewok-Village-.jpg

I don't know what you're talking about, they are totally different playsets. I mean one has no leaves  on top of the trees and the other doesn't. Also isn't that a Endor playest on the left or did advertisers just not give a shit and put Ewok figures on a Dagobah playset?

11 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I don't know what you're talking about, they are totally different playsets. I mean one has no leaves  on top of the trees and the other doesn't. Also isn't that a Endor playest on the left or did advertisers just not give a shit and put Ewok figures on a Dagobah playset?

No you're right the one pictured is definitely Endor, I forgot that the Dagobah Playset was just a hollowed tree stump. 

I think the one thing that I knew about this movie is that it was an enormous bomb, but that the soundtrack spawned a mega-hit song. Looked it up and yep, “Everything I Do) I Do It for You” by Bryan Adams came from this movie.

15 hours ago, CaptainAmazing said:

I think the one thing that I knew about this movie is that it was an enormous bomb, but that the soundtrack spawned a mega-hit song. Looked it up and yep, “Everything I Do) I Do It for You” by Bryan Adams came from this movie.

It wasnt a bomb though, it made about $390M at the boxoffice back in 91 and was the second-highest grossing film of that year

• Like 1

Yea this movie made huge money, but it did do well critically. I know that Rickman was widely and deservedly praised for his performance as the Sheriff of Nottingham.

I think my favorite part of this movie is Costner trying to play Robin Hood like he was Peter Pan. 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this