🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JereGryllz

Lifted

From the woman who brought you Punisher: War Zone, comes another "top-shelf" movie. Lifted is the story of a boy who lives in a stereotypical white trash trailer park neighborhood. His mother is a heroin addict. (A true "heroine") His father is in active duty military overseas. So, basically the entire movie is about this boy who sings to escape life's troubles. And the scenes where he sings (A.K.A. the entire movie) have a real White Christmas way about them in the way that the sound from the movie changes to a completely remastered, studio quality song. Except, his voice has been autotuned to shit. Like, think of the Autotuned remix videos from YouTube, except it's a serious movie and they were actually attempting to pass his voice off as real to the poor, innocent, viewers of this garbage heap of a movie. The absolute best part of the movie is that when the boy mixes his own songs on his laptop, he sends them to his dad in the Middle East. His dad and his friends then proceed to freestyle rap over the songs. Imagine Stone Cold Steve Austin freestyle rapping over a 12 year old's "music." At this point in the film, I had emotionally and mentally given up and checked out in terms of caring about getting something out of this movie besides laughter. As the film goes on, the dad dies in combat, the mother gets off heroin and then gets back onto it, fulfilling her long, arduous character arc that would put character development in movies like the Departed to shame. The boy leaves home and goes to a contest where he and the ghost of his father perform Forever Young by Alphaville. The last shot of the film is the ghost of a dead soldier riding on the back of truck and saluting other dead ghost soldiers as the truck drove past them. Please someone tell me that you have seen this movie and enjoyed it as much as I did.

<--- The finale. Lifted ft. Ghost Dad Killah - Forever Young Cover

Yes! I caught the second half of this movie on tv the other night—the scene you described where the dad and his buddy are freestyling is what drew me in. Also this stirring rendition of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"

Aside from the song itself (and the dancing! and the terrible lip dubbing!), how about that performance from Ruben Studdard? “Unbelievable. He’s in the finals!”

She's been hired to do some episodes of Arrow this year, so maybe TV will end up welcoming her a little more warmly.

Holy shit I just realized that Lexi is the female Morgan Spurlock, career wise. Both were nominated for an Oscar very early in their careers (Spurlock with his first movie, Lexi with her second), then released a movie that was well received, but not as much as the prior (Spurlock with Greatest Movie Ever Sold, Lexi with Green Street Hooligans), then they do a comic book film (Spurlock with his Comic Con film and Lexi with Punisher:War Zone), and then they do a musical movie that no one gives a shit about (Spurlock with the One Direction film and Lexi with Lifted).

Beyond that I do hope that Lexi gets back into better projects because her films like Punisher and Green Street show the kind of talent that she has. This really is proof that one bad movie can totally tank your career despite its failure being no fault of your own.

Holy shit I just realized that Lexi is the female Morgan Spurlock, career wise. Both were nominated for an Oscar very early in their careers (Spurlock with his first movie, Lexi with her second), then released a movie that was well received, but not as much as the prior (Spurlock with Greatest Movie Ever Sold, Lexi with Green Street Hooligans), then they do a comic book film (Spurlock with his Comic Con film and Lexi with Punisher:War Zone), and then they do a musical movie that no one gives a shit about (Spurlock with the One Direction film and Lexi with Lifted).

Beyond that I do hope that Lexi gets back into better projects because her films like Punisher and Green Street show the kind of talent that she has. This really is proof that one bad movie can totally tank your career despite its failure being no fault of your own.

You might be downplaying Morgan Spurlock's success just a wee bit there. I think Lexi would probably be thrilled to be in his position. Or to have Lifted compared to that One Direction movie, which made crazy money.

Sign in to follow this