🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Shannon

Legend (1985)

Tom Cruise. Tim Curry. Mia Sara. Some creepy ass german kid whose lines are all ADR and horrifying. UNICORNS.

Made the mistake of renting the nearly two hour director's cut (I see here on the ol imdb that the theatrical release was 89 minutes) and I cannot express how much I hated this movie. I was expecting so much because I generally enjoy Ridley Scott and felt got very little back. Everything is cheap and small and not grand or legendary. At the beginning they are supposed to be lost in some giant forest but they are clearly in a very small studio and just running back and forth and uuuuuuugggghhhh.

I also really don't find Tom Cruise all that adorable.

Maybe I'm really really wrong on this one because some of the reviews I'm finding are calling it a MASTERPIECE (yes, in all caps like that) so what do y'all think? Is "Legend" Fuh-ucking Garbage as Jason would say, or is it actually awesome?

• Like 1

I was never a fan of it. I just found it never came together as a story. People who tried to convince me of its brilliance would say things like, you have to think of it as a this, or you have to think of it as a that. Nope: It's a movie -- Either it works as a movie, or it doesn't and I don't think that it does.

This was Ridley Scott's willow. it should have been better then it was and is a along way from Blade Runner

. . i was waiting for Tim Curry to break into song in the film. you can't look at him with out thinking about it.

I agree that this movie could have been better, but I still enjoy it for what it is. It's certainly better than 'Willow,' though even comparing it to something like 'Blade Runner' seems like an exercise in futility. 'Blade Runner' is a masterpiece, 'Legend' is a pleasantly cheeseball bit of 1980s fantasy.

hard to believe its the same director when you think about it. I agree like comparing porsche to honda civic.

How much of it do you think is just that it's "dated" and how much is 'cause it's not a good movie?

Probably 5 years ago I got a special edition of it and was excited for it 'cause I had fond memories of it from childhood, but when i watched it I was greatly disappointed. That said, I enjoy Willow as an adult, but I think that unlike Legend, there is at least some comedy in it (albeit a lot of it is fairly lowbrow).

I was kind of like that with tron, I remember as a kid seeing that movie so many times that the film broke and as adult I got it on dvd and was quickly set back by how cheap everything looked to me. I guess as a kid my imagination sorta filled in what was good and terrible about the film but as a adult I got more critical.

I think i am maybe getting Willow mixed up with Labyrinth, I have not seen any of these movies in so long it's sorta all mixing together in my mind as one film. for some reason I was thinking david bowie was in WIllow but he wasn't clearly when I looked it up in IMDB. all I remember about willow is that George Lucas had writien it and it was a big let down from starwars. I don't think George had writen a bad movie yet.

I love IMDB, because when i typed in willow it recommend me LadyHawke. what a gem this is.

Ladyhawke

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089457

Matthew Broderick,Rutger Hauer say those two names together and it hurts. theres a winner winner chicken dinner.

This was Ridley Scott's willow. it should have been better then it was and is a along way from Blade Runner

. . i was waiting for Tim Curry to break into song in the film. you can't look at him with out thinking about it.

What people kind of forget though is that "Blade Runner" was NOT very successful, at least not commercially when compared to Scott's previous film (Alien) and the previous work of it's star, so I can understand why there'd be a bit of a departure for his next film, which didn't come along until 4 years later.

Oh wow, "Top Gun" came out less than a month after this film, and then "Color of Money" (one of my top 5 favorites of all time) was a few months after that, so it sure didn't take Tom Cruise long to shake off the failure stink from "Legend".

Well, I'm going to be the odd one out on this one and say I fucking love this movie. I tend to like Tom Cruise best when he's playing against type (in things like this and Interview With A Vampire), so I enjoyed him in this. It's not a perfect movie, but I think it has a lot of redeeming elements.

At the beginning they are supposed to be lost in some giant forest but they are clearly in a very small studio and just running back and forth and uuuuuuugggghhhh.

Actually, they filmed those scenes on 5 massive soundstages. The fake trees were 60ft high! If you ever have the opportunity I recommend watching some of the making-of special features, they show how amazing that set actually was. I can understand the movie not being everyone's cup of tea obviously, but the production design on that film is pretty amazing.

But no way is it worse than Willow, which is just George Lucas ripping off The Hobbit.

Yeah, Legend is not good really, but I don't think it is a HDTGM episode. Tim Curry's villain deserved a MUCH better movie.

I actually really dig this movie, especially the director's cut, namely because the Tangerine Dream "score" is gone and Jerry Goldsmith's is reinserted. Tim Curry as Darkness is the best thing about it. Yeah, it's corny and that elf-kid or whatever he's supposed to be freaks me the hell out...

I remember liking this movie as a kid...maybe it was the unicorns that held my interest...caught it again just recently and like some of you was disappointed...but how can you get upset with 80's fantasy movies...80's cheese is the best guys!!

I don't think the movie really comes together and works in the end but there are a lot of things in this movie I love. All the moster/goblin make-up is great. Tim Curry's Darkness is one of the greatest make-up jobs in movie history IMO. I also really like the three goblins that disappear half-way through the movie, and how they rhyme when they talk. And I don't hate Tom Cruise in this or any of the good fairy/elf guys. Definately a very bold movie and you gotta respect that.

• Like 1

I don't think the movie really comes together and works in the end

Yeah, it's disjointed in a weird way. I couldn't figure out specifically what bothered me about it when I watched it a year ago or so. I think we all liked it as kids because unicorns and magic shit. And I want to cosign the following statement:

Tim Curry's Darkness is one of the greatest make-up jobs in movie history

Yeah, there's a reason it's now a staple of the Halloween mask industry.

Also, Tom Cruise runs around this entire movie without any pants on. Even when he gets some cool armor, it doesn't come with pants. What the fuck.

tried to watch this last night. Tom Cruise sports a monobrow that distracted me from how cheap everything looked. Mia Sara is very pretty however. Pretty bonkers plot and Tim Curry at full volume. Recommended.

Warrick Davis was in Willow not Labyrinth (unless he had a stunt job down Bowie tights, I would be disappointed if he did)

Warrick Davis was in Willow not Labyrinth (unless he had a stunt job down Bowie tights, I would be disappointed if he did)

Warwick Davis has been in so many movies its easy to lose track. He was in fact in both movies. He's impossible to spot in Labyrinth though, he's in full makeup.

This film also has the distinction of being the production that burned down the 007 Soundstage at Pinewood Studios.

Fuckin' unicorns!

I just rewatched this and I would definitely recommend it. The dialogue is bonkers. I think it's bad in a good way and I would love to hear how much Jason hates it. It's right up there in the pantheon of cheesy '80s fantasy flicks. Yeah, I said flicks. They aren't even films. Take that, nerds!

Warwick Davis has been in so many movies its easy to lose track. He was in fact in both movies. He's impossible to spot in Labyrinth though, he's in full makeup.

I'm 99% sure Warwick Davis is not in this movie. He's not listed in the cast and I think he was making that terrible Ewok movie when this was being shot.

I'm 99% sure Warwick Davis is not in this movie. He's not listed in the cast and I think he was making that terrible Ewok movie when this was being shot.

I was trying to say that Warwick had been in both Willow and Labyrinth. I never thought he was in this one. Although he should have been.

I was trying to say that Warwick had been in both Willow and Labyrinth. I never thought he was in this one. Although he should have been.

Reading comprehension fail on my part, sorry!

I totally agree that Warwick should just be in all the movies.

Sign in to follow this