🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I ran to see this awful 2012 movie and it did not dissappoint. It tells the story of a young Baltimore detective teaming up with Edgar Allen Poe to solve a set of serial murders based on Poe stories.

The setup of the movie is as follows: No one knows what happened in the last days of Poe's life...this is what really happened. The movies opens and closes on the moments before his death on some public bench while ravens fly above. I'm not sure who was interested in this historical mystery, but I don't think they will be satisfied by this fictional answer, that he tried to track down a killer and marry/save a blonde lady. While I was watching I was trying to remember EAP stories and facts about his life, but of course none of these things matter to the plot.

So who is the serial killer? What will happen to Poe's love? How will he die? How early on will someone say the line, "Nevermore?" And HOW DID THIS GET MADE?

This movie is definitely garbage, but it is also a wasted opportunity. John Cusak is perfect casting as Hollywood-Edgar Allen Poe and I love the idea of the troubled, alcoholic, dickish, and brilliant author investigating actual murders. Plus, I have to admit I'm a sucker for this historical period. With all that said, I could barely stay awake during this.

• Like 1

I only remembered many of the actual facts about his stories/life because I had taken my Senior Seminar class in college which was focused on his stories a year before. While I feel that Cusack was the perfect fit for the role of Poe, this movie was just sloppy. The killer had no real reason for doing the things he did except that he liked reading a lot and the whole movie was made of false leads about who the killer was, similar to I Know Who Killed Me.

It might be too blah to make an interesting podcast. This movie was more mediocre than bad, which might be worse. :)

This movie was almost too boring to even recommend, which is saying something because it's supposed to be about Edgar Allen Poe investigating murders recreated in the image of his stories. BUT ALAS IT IS TOO BORING.

Every actor is sleepwalking.

Everything the killer does is impossible and not believable.

Ending was very mediocre and unoriginal.

BUT BARD IS IN IT!...sleepwalking tho

• Like 1