🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

This movie is in a close race with Jason X as the worst movie in the Friday the 13th series. Yes there are cheesier entries in the series, like the one with the psychic girl who fights Jason with her mind, but this one is terrible for its horrible plot holes.

If you can't remember this one, Jason decides to leave Crystal Lake to kill horny teens and sneaks aboard a cruise ship to kill a class of high school seniors. From there it's the usual fare of him offing them one by one, though the kids do group together to try and take down the killer, a rarity for this series.

Yet after a good number of people are dead, the main group of characters flee the ship on a lifeboat while acknowledging that they are leaving a bunch of their friends and classmates on the boat to be killed by Jason. Then the biggest hole comes when Jason leaves the boat and swims to Manhattan after the main characters. Mind you Jason's whole backstory involves him drowning as a child at a summer camp because he couldn't swim well.

Then of course you have laughable scenes like a guy having a boxing match with Jason where he punches him so much that Jason is close to falling off a high roof, but he gives up and lets Jason punch his head clean off.

Have a good laugh:

[media='']https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQov9F8t4rM[/media]

Also, teleportation. I think there was a scene where the evil uncle or whoever is running from Jason, and he flees into a building or something only to be thrown out of a window seconds later by Jason...who was already there? Whaaa?!? I could be remembering it wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's EXACTLY what happened.

While not a "good" movie, "Jason X" was SO much better than this one, because it was at least entertaining, had some really great and fun kills, and really owned it's ridiculous gimmick. This one was more like "Jason Spends Twenty Minutes in Manhattan".

Yeah this one only had a couple decent kills like the guy getting his head punched off and the rocker chick getting her head caved in with her own guitar.

Jason X which i saw in the theater definitely tops this one for worst movie. Although I did laugh at the holodeck scene in Jason X where the hologram topless girls start talking about wanting premarital sex.

• Like 1

Jason X which i saw in the theater definitely tops this one for worst movie. Although I did laugh at the holodeck scene in Jason X where the hologram topless girls start talking about wanting premarital sex.

Easily the best scene of that movie outside of the robot's nipples falling off.

Easily the best scene of that movie outside of the robot's nipples falling off.

I do not remember that scene but that is not enough to make me watch it again. Also Jason X has a cameo in the beginning from acclaimed director David Cronenberg.

The nipple scene was with the geeky virgin who was trying to bone the robot who initially killed OG Jason before he got spaced up. He gives her nipples as a gift to make her feel like a real woman and the slip off her chest very creepily. I forgot Cronenberg was in this, though he has been known to cameo in movies as some weird character or another (the assassin in To Die For, the supervisor in The Stupids). His only really big role was as the serial killer in Nightbreed.

I forgot Cronenberg was in this, though he has been known to cameo in movies as some weird character or another (the assassin in To Die For, the supervisor in The Stupids). His only really big role was as the serial killer in Nightbreed.

He had a decent-sized supporting role in "Last Night" (the 1998 Canadian movie about the end of the world, not that forgotten 2010 Keira Knightley movie), playing a fairly normal guy.

I'm mostly sharing this just because it's a great film.

I know this movie would be perfect for them to riff on after hearing the Sleep away camp episode.

My thoughts exactly. I honestly can't wait for the 7 1/2 hour documentary to come out that goes into detail about how all of the Friday the 13th movies were made, just so I can hear about how fucked up it was to make this and Jason X.

I love how Jason "taking manhatten" involves 75% of the movie taking place on a fucking boat

• Like 4

I love how Jason "taking manhatten" involves 75% of the movie taking place on a fucking boat

^This.

• Like 1

I remember seeing a decent documentary on the Friday series, I want to say it was hosted by Tom Savini?

They made one a couple years back that was almost 5 hrs long called His Name Was Jason. The same guys then did one for the whole Nightmare On Elm Street series that was the same amount of time. But since a couple more movies have come out in the Friday franchise, those same people are releasing this new documentary. The Nightmare one was fantastic as it went in depth with interviews of not only the stars of the movie but even tertiary characters who had memorable moments in the movies.

Am I the only one who wished this were remade as a crossover with "The Muppets Take Manhatten"?

• Like 1

They made one a couple years back that was almost 5 hrs long called His Name Was Jason. The same guys then did one for the whole Nightmare On Elm Street series that was the same amount of time. But since a couple more movies have come out in the Friday franchise, those same people are releasing this new documentary. The Nightmare one was fantastic as it went in depth with interviews of not only the stars of the movie but even tertiary characters who had memorable moments in the movies.

I think that was the one. I don't have any affinity for this film series, but it was still totally fascinating.

And of that remaining 25%, about 90% of that was Canada.

Also, there's a pretty amazing Blu-Ray set coming out in September that has ALL of the films together for the first time (the previous DVD sets only had the Paramount releases), probably with like gajillions of extras. The book it comes with though seems to just be an excerpt of the excellent "Crystal Lake Memories" coffee table book that came out in '05. I recommend chasing that book down if you can. I've had mine signed by Kane Hodder and like 4 other Jasons.

• Like 1

I've had mine signed by Kane Hodder and like 4 other Jasons.

How many Jasons are there? Do they have reunions or at least play poker together? Are there enough of them out there that they make greeting cards for Jasons? Like pre-printed "Happy Birthday Jason! With love, Jason."

• Like 2

Actually saw this in the theater...never have I ever heard an audience sound so confused at the gaps in logic of a film. Lots of "huh?" and "what?" and "how?" were being asked. Between Jason's magic teleportation, the drastic unfathomable change in his appearance, and the simply dreadful/lazily written ending the whole audience was just a milling bundle of dismay.

One of, but not quite the worst, I still contest that A New Beginning takes that mantle easily. Robb Hedden who wrote and directed actually agrees with fans about this one. HIs original script had 90% of the movie in Manhattan with scenes in Times Square, Madison Square Garden (a lot of "squares" in New York). The studio cut funding and forced him to reverse the script so most of the movie's on a fucking boat and then they had to shoot in Canada because it was cheaper.

After all these years I still can't figure out that Goddamned ending. Why do the sewers flood with toxic waste? Why does he turn into little Jason? Why do I keep watching this movie over and over again...?

One of, but not quite the worst, I still contest that A New Beginning takes that mantle easily. Robb Hedden who wrote and directed actually agrees with fans about this one. HIs original script had 90% of the movie in Manhattan with scenes in Times Square, Madison Square Garden (a lot of "squares" in New York). The studio cut funding and forced him to reverse the script so most of the movie's on a fucking boat and then they had to shoot in Canada because it was cheaper.

After all these years I still can't figure out that Goddamned ending. Why do the sewers flood with toxic waste? Why does he turn into little Jason? Why do I keep watching this movie over and over again...?

Idk New Beginning wasn't that bad outside of it not actually being Jason as the killer. It's more insulting that this nobody of a ambulance driver was able to rack up a larger body count in a movie than Jason had up to that point.

• Like 1

Idk New Beginning wasn't that bad outside of it not actually being Jason as the killer. It's more insulting that this nobody of a ambulance driver was able to rack up a larger body count in a movie than Jason had up to that point.

"New Beginning" had some pretty awesome kills and quality T&A, and while Jason wasn't the killer in it, it certainly wouldn't be the stupidest thing this series would do. Not by a fucking longshot. More ridiculous than Jason not being in the movie was the sheer number of "characters" that were introduced just to die seconds later. I thought it was a fine enough middle chapter of the Tommy Jarvis trilogy.

"New Beginning" had some pretty awesome kills and quality T&A, and while Jason wasn't the killer in it, it certainly wouldn't be the stupidest thing this series would do. Not by a fucking longshot. More ridiculous than Jason not being in the movie was the sheer number of "characters" that were introduced just to die seconds later. I thought it was a fine enough middle chapter of the Tommy Jarvis trilogy.

You mean like the two leather clad guidos who have car troubles, one of whom gets a road flare jammed down his throat, or the waitress fuck buddy for the guy who dropped Tommy Jarvis off at the house in the beginning.

You mean like the two leather clad guidos who have car troubles, one of whom gets a road flare jammed down his throat, or the waitress fuck buddy for the guy who dropped Tommy Jarvis off at the house in the beginning.

Don't forget the peeping tom watching the two kids screw. I forget how he died, but the guy that was doing he screwing had a pretty wicked tourniquet death. Also, Juwanna Mann gets killed in an outhouse after singing a song while taking a shit.

Since October is a couple of days away, I thought I'd bump this thread up. I enjoy the hell out of Jason Takes Manhattan (for all the wrong reasons), and would love to hear Paul, June, and Jason tear it to shreds. Please and thank you.

Sign in to follow this