🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

Don't forget the peeping tom watching the two kids screw. I forget how he died, but the guy that was doing he screwing had a pretty wicked tourniquet death. Also, Juwanna Mann gets killed in an outhouse after singing a song while taking a shit.

The peeper was gut stabbed if I remember right. Also being the horror nerd that I am, I bought the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash graphic novels. This is what was made after plans for the movie fell through. They basically pick up after Freddy vs. Jason and Ash is thrown in because he thinks Jason is a Deaddite and has to stop him as Jason continues to fight Freddy. The sequel books is a love letter to fans of all three series especially Friday and Nightmare since it features a myriad of survivors from the previous films. My nerdiness came out as during one part in the book a character uses the necronomicon to summon the souls of those that Jason killed and one of them was the tourniquet kid. The second I saw that I called bullshit as Jason had not killed the kid, I then instantly felt ashamed of myself for knowing that so readily.

Since October is a couple of days away, I thought I'd bump this thread up. I enjoy the hell out of Jason Takes Manhattan (for all the wrong reasons), and would love to hear Paul, June, and Jason tear it to shreds. Please and thank you.

I honestly hope they do this and Return to Sleepaway Camp for October.

• Like 2

This movie should be called, "Jason Takes Manhatten - off of his Bucket List of places to travel because the Movie Happens in a Fucking Boat"

Side note: don't ever stand in front of Jason and tell him to take his best shot because he will punch your head off.

• Like 2

After just watching the Crystal Lake Memories documentary (and if you are a Friday fan of any kind you should go buy it as well as it's really good) it was interesting to hear why they made this movie like they did. Apparently 3/4 of the movie was originally going to take place in New York, but the people financing the movie wanted to keep it fairly low budget like the rest of the movies so it kept getting cut back more and more to then where it was less than 1/3 of the movie. And from interviews on the film, apparently the this and a couple of the movies before it the directors had real problems with the associate producers who were constantly having rewrites of the scripts and butting heads with the various directors, which further hurt the final product.

I agree. The original plot was probably fantastic; Jason on the streets of NY, oh man, that would have been interesting. I do have Crystal Lake Memories - you're right, absolutely fantastic documentary. I'd love to see HDTGM do a Friday film, I'd be happy with either Manhatten or Jason X.

• Like 1

After just watching the Crystal Lake Memories documentary (and if you are a Friday fan of any kind you should go buy it as well as it's really good) it was interesting to hear why they made this movie like they did. Apparently 3/4 of the movie was originally going to take place in New York, but the people financing the movie wanted to keep it fairly low budget like the rest of the movies so it kept getting cut back more and more to then where it was less than 1/3 of the movie. And from interviews on the film, apparently the this and a couple of the movies before it the directors had real problems with the associate producers who were constantly having rewrites of the scripts and butting heads with the various directors, which further hurt the final product.

I'm surprised that right at the beginning of the whole debacle, someone at Paramount DIDN'T just say "Look, you know you're making a fucking Friday the 13th movie and we don't actually like spending money on those, right?". After that, the producers were all "Fuck y'all! We're gonna go to New Line and make a movie in SPACE", which of course was ALSO Canada.

I'm surprised that right at the beginning of the whole debacle, someone at Paramount DIDN'T just say "Look, you know you're making a fucking Friday the 13th movie and we don't actually like spending money on those, right?". After that, the producers were all "Fuck y'all! We're gonna go to New Line and make a movie in SPACE", which of course was ALSO Canada.

What was funny was that Paramount wanted a new setting for the series to see if it would breathe new life into the series, and liked the idea of Manhattan, but they didn't want to foot the bill for it.

I have to admit I rather liked this film growing up, and now I still like it probably, just on nostalgia alone. It is Jason sort of jumping the shark, but still in the realm of regular Jason, like what he's capable of. I think this was before Jason Goes to Hell and the whole terrible mythology they put on the series. I like to think NY is where he went to retire. Also, he murders someone with a flying V, so that happens. Haha.

What was funny was that Paramount wanted a new setting for the series to see if it would breathe new life into the series, and liked the idea of Manhattan, but they didn't want to foot the bill for it.

Sadly not unheard of in Hollywood. Kimberly Peirce has discussed how she wanted to make a movie about the murder of a silent film director:

We had it cast and ready to go, and the studio ran the numbers and they said, "We want to make it for x amount of money." And I said, Uh, all right. But then they said, "We don't want to spend that much, we want to spend 10 million dollars less." I said, Well, I don't know if that's a good idea, but I'll go ahead and make the adjustments I can. And they said, "Well, we don't want to see the version of the movie that we're prepared to pay for. We want to see the version we're not willing to pay for."

I would happily pay for rentals for the crew if they did this movie. Most people don't realize how batshit crazy this movie is. I recently took in the whole "Jason Anthology" of all Friday the 13th Movies. They are all pretty bad but "Jason Takes Manhattan" is like nothing you've ever seen!!

It's on amazon instant video : http://goo.gl/E0oJ13

Vincent-Craig-Dupree-Julius-Gaw.jpg

friday-the-13th-part-8-viii-jason-takes-manhattan-sewer-scene-jason-unmasked-toxic-waste-kane-hodder-review.jpg

Sign in to follow this