🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TateAustin

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

You sure you could sit through this movie again, it's a hard one to watch twice.

I think I've only seen parts of it on cable.

CHUD recently did an episode of their podcast that was a feature-length commentary of the film, which was pretty funny and mostly focused on how the guy that made it was never heard from again. I think it was "CHUDdotcommentary #2" (#1 is "Taken" and #3 is "Prometheus"), and it's worth a listen!

http://www.chud.com/113536/chuddotcommentary-2-sky-captain-and-the-world-of-tomorrow/

Sky Captain actually had pretty solid critical reviews. It's sitting around 72% on RT. I hated it the first time I saw it in the theater, but I recently rewatched it and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. There's next-to-no plot, but it's basically an homage to 30s-era serials which were also pretty low on plot. It does have HDTGM favorite Bai Ling, though.

• Like 1

I think it's not a bad film- I think it's a really unique experiment that the How Did This Get Made crew could really have a lot of fun with. Not all their movies are stinkers- for example the recent Devil's Advocate isn't considered a "bad movie", but they can certainly find the outrageous parts of it to talk up.

You can also credit/blame it for stuff like 300 and Sin City.

"Sin City" was in production around the same time as this. As for "300," that's really more credit/blame to, well, "Sin City."

I'm just referring to the 'digital backlot' aspect. This was the first of those to come out, and it definitely functioned as a 'proof of concept' for the studios.

The acting was hammy. The logic was sketchy. The ending was abrupt. And Angelina in a leather Nazi-ish uniform thatbthey said was British, but everyone knew she was theIinspiration for Jesse James fall from grace.

I couldn't make it more than 20 minutes into this movie, it was so instantly boring that my basic instincts for survival kicked in and I ended up throwing the remote control through the television.

Sign in to follow this