🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 56 — Nothing But Trouble

So i've never seen this movie, but after listening to it be described, I have to ask: do you think this movie was, at least in part, the inspiration for House Of 1,000 Corpses?

I got the same vibe from the description of the movie.

So i've never seen this movie, but after listening to it be described, I have to ask: do you think this movie was, at least in part, the inspiration for House Of 1,000 Corpses?

And was Valri Bromfield as the Bailiff the inspiration for Frances McDormand's Cop in 'Fargo'?

*Trivia - Valri and Dan Akroyd were a comedy duo in Canada. The internet tells me they were the duo 'Together'.

But yes I also got the feeling this was an inspiration (or left-over set) for some Rob Zombie movies/music videos.

With Paul here, I remember liking this when I was younger, didn't I? A strange uncanny nightmare to frighten kids into a good time.

Chevy Chase did bad mouth the movie in a way. In a New York Magazine interview given to promote his new late night talk show he said of Nothing But Trouble that it was "a career buster," and "Dan Akroyd's idea. Went in the dumper."

http://books.google....trouble&f=false

Yeah, it's funny that the article is about the soon-to-premiere Chevy Chase late-night show that was a career A-bomb I guess because he was pretty much gone after that until Community...

Couldn't read all that Aykroyd article but he was pretty high on himself:

"The dinner scene was the one I was most worried about," he explains. "It's filled with exactly the mixture of comic beats and suspense that I was trying to achieve with the entire movie. It was tough because I knew we would be doing it all day, setting up angles for everybody and getting the elements of the train, the hot dog and my fake nose in just the right amount. But once the scene was blocked out and the cameras set, the scene just fell together."

"Comic beats and suspense"

Say what? I dunno, whether it's your friends or not, if you're invested in comedy or even just a fan of the actors, it's disappointing to see them flail about and never hit anywhere near target. John Candy almost had me at the beginning with this "Not this year, sir." but, I agree with the hosts - there was something off about Candy, like he wasn't really committed to the role...I also got genuinely disgusted with this movie. I mean, I can handle League of Gentlemen or Tim and Eric because it really is so over the top. If you don't do that, you end up with a movie that just makes you go "ecch".

Love the show, loved the episode...

Candy's last movies always make me sad, because I think the health issues are really obvious. He rarely looked like he was actually enjoying himself. Though that might have been because the majority of his 90s movies were terrible, and he knew it.

Ugh. Why did I watch this? It wasn't good, it wasn't fun bad, it wasn't in any way enjoyable. It didn't make for a great show either. I love the show, but I have to say the selections have been not great recently. Stick with movies that are bad but entertaining at least, please. They make for better shows as well.

I am glad there are so many replies hating on this terrible movie because it still owes me a childhood that was not full of fear and confusion

Ugh. Why did I watch this? It wasn't good, it wasn't fun bad, it wasn't in any way enjoyable. It didn't make for a great show either. I love the show, but I have to say the selections have been not great recently. Stick with movies that are bad but entertaining at least, please. They make for better shows as well.

The thing is, this movie really does force you to ask the question, How Did This Get Made?

It doesn't happen often but I gotta disagree with the HDTGM gang on this one. All I remember of it from when I saw it as a kid was someone making a quip about a vent pipe (trust me it was hilarious) and Aykroyd's penis-nose. Had to rewatch it just now and, unlike the majority of HDTGM picks I've forced myself to watch, I could actually sit through the whole movie with this one.

If the movie has a problem it's a lack of any real solid jokes, but it more than makes up for it by being as interesting and left-field as it is. I mean those final two plot-twists? Holy shit.

So yeah. God help me but I like this awful piece of trash.

Yeah and there's sort of an internal logic to why Sandler films are made; he's a huge box office draw, even if his movies aren't very good, people will go see them in the millions. They're pretty predictable, you know what you're getting. Studios just give him some cash, he gets his friends to act in it, and they crank out something that does really well at the box office that's unrelated to it's quality.

HDTGM seems to want to target movies where the question is less clear; so how did "Nothing But Trouble" get made when it's a nightmarish mess of tone, has no clear narrative or pacing and all these great comedic actors appear like they don't want to be there?

How did "The Devil's Advocate" get made when Al Pacino turned it down five times, it had it's script altered and doctored like five times and Keanu Reeves was like the fifth person approached to play the lead?

How did Reindeer Games, a Christmas movie, get made when it was released in March and had a third act that didn't make sense given the first two acts?

If you ask the question about Jack and Jill "How Did This Get Made", the answer is really "Adam Sandler = money, duh".

You're right on the nose.

• Like 4

I am glad that you covered this movie. When I was in High School I saw this was on and my family started watching it. For some reason that I'm not 100% sure of now when it got to the part with Mr. Bone Stripper it FREAKED ME OUT. I couldn't watch the movie any more and had to leave the room. I haven't been able to watch the movie since then. I can't explain why that scene freaked me out so much, and it's not like I can't watch gory comedies, I love Shawn of the Dead and I thought Cabin In The Woods was brilliant even though it's got a few moments of extreme gore, it's still not as disturbing as this movie was to me as a teenager.

I think the reason this bothered me so much is that the death comes out of nowhere. The tone of the movie didn't seem to be that ominous up until that moment, at least not to my personal memory. It has been around 16 years or so since I actually watched the movie, and since I refuse to watch it I will never know if this comment about tone is actually true or not.

• Like 1

I've listened to this episode for 3 hours and I still haven't finished it.

I usually do something else while listening, and every minute or so I'm just hearing things like dicknose, road trip, scenic Jersey, sheriff, mortal kombat fatality roller coaster, etc. and suddenly I shake my head asking what the hell is going on so I restart the episode.

Much like Keanu in Devil's Advocate, I'm stuck in a hellish loop.

• Like 1

So yeah. God help me but I like this awful piece of trash.

Sorry my child, I cannot help you. This movie is garbage.

So sayeth Me.

• Like 1

You're right on the nose.

Wha...? Jack and Jill cost $79 million to make? Just...how? HOW?

Loved this episode! I have a quick story about this movie. My first exposure to Anything But Trouble occured in my 7th grade English class. Our teacher had each student write to our favorite actors requesting a signed autograph as an assignment. This was no easy feat back in 1990 when we had to go to quite a bit of trouble to find contact information for Hollywood stars. I, of course chose Arnold Schwarzenegger but our English teacher chose to write to Dan Akroyd.

A few weeks later these correspondences started coming in and out teacher presented her letter from Dan Akroyd. It was a standard form letter that appears to be written by the star. In it he spoke about his big directorial debut which was, if memory serves, still being called Valkenvania and not Nothing But Trouble.

Included with the letter was a photo of Dan Akroyd in his putrid giant baby creature make up. I'll never forget the stunned silence in the room as the image was held up in front of the class. Somehow this did not deter me from seeing the film the following year and like Paul I remember kind of liking it. But what did I know, I was just a kid!

Chris

• Like 1

Full disclaimer: I haven't seen NOTHING BUT TROUBLE nor do I have any particular desire to see this movie, honestly didn't even know this existed. On the other hand I was curious to see how what appeared to be a parody or satire film would fare as I was thinking of recommending MACGRUBER. Yes I did see MACGRUBER in the theater with what I remember as about 6 people in the theater that's including myself and my wife. The funniest thing, for some reason I was sitting in the back and there was another guy in the back as well and I honestly couldn't tell you if the movie was funny or not. The other guy would start laughing then I would laugh because he was laughing then I think he was laughing because I was laughing, you could say we had an old fashioned "laugh off" it was bonkers! That being said I typically enjoy the podcasts with movies that 1) take themselves too seriously, 2) blissfully unaware of their own shittyness, 3) contain Al Pacino or Nic Cage or 4) movies that have a decent premise than just go off the fucking rails. NOTHING BUT TROUBLE sounds like it didn't even make it to the train station. The problem appears to be what I would say would be like trying to do an episode on say a film like BEETLEJUICE, now if they would have made the sequel Beetlejuice in Hawaii that would be epic. Google that shit people, you have no idea how close that came to happening. After all that I would probably file NOTHING BUT TROUBLE not under "how did this get made" but "doen't anyone really care if this got made". I think of that damn Taylor Swift song "I Knew You were Trouble" everytime I hear NOTHING BUT TROUBLE, so thanks for that. Keep up the great work.

I really enjoyed how "Mr. Bonestripper" had it's own theme song. The rest of this movie was just disturbing and questionable. i feel bad for John Candy and even Chevy for this one.

I remember really wanting to see this when I was a kid. I know I saw it, but I didn't remember a single thing until I watched it again. i guess you really can block things from your memory. I also remember after it came out on video I was able to get the cardboard promo display from the local video rental store. No idea why I wanted it. it ended up being a makeshift dart board.

Can anyone make a GIF of those few seconds of Tupac bouncing left and right and singing "All around the world, same song"?

So a little hobby of mine is find the most random of youtube videos with an anti-Obama/Democrats/Liberals comment.

And in searching for the scene of Mr Bonestripper, I have found it.

Dick Stroke

Too bad we can't run BHO and the entire Democrat party through this machine

• Like 1

So a little hobby of mine is find the most random of youtube videos with an anti-Obama/Democrats/Liberals comment.

And in searching for the scene of Mr Bonestripper, I have found it.

Oh Dick Stroke, I expected so much more from you.