🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 13 — Up Goes The Lift

Agent0fN0thing: Attorney at Rules Law here, to provide some advice on how critical damage works in 4th Edition D&D. When you roll a 20, your damage die is maximized instead of multiplied. Since many basic attacks already include multiple damage die (such as 4d6+6, for instance), this can add up quite swiftly. Once you have equipped a magic weapon or implement, critical damage goes up even further by adding an additional bonus damage die that is rolled on top of the maximized normal damage. These are multiplied per enhancement bonus, and is usually, but not always, a d6. See the relevant weapon description for details on critical dice. Some weapons, such as the greataxe, possess the "high crit" quality, which adds a further damage die based on the weapon's damage. In the greataxe example, a basic greataxe would roll an extra d12 in addition to the maximized weapon damage. A magical greataxe would get that, plus the extra critical dice based on the enhancement bonus. For more answers, visit the rules law offices of Agent0fN0thing, Attorney at Rules Law here: http://forum.earwolf...e-correct-loot/

cute replies with the rules but hardly fitting as they have explained multiple times they use house rules

I think it's helpful to post pertinent 4E rules. Most of the players have only skimmed the rules and don't understand how their powers work so it can be quite helpful to getting the most out of their character. If they like the written rules they can take the advice. If they prefer the house rules than Sark can stick with that. Either way the game is a great listen.

On a related note, I'm glad Sarah started using the Wizards character builder so the proper bonuses were being applied. There were a few times the heroes missed attack rolls by a point or two and I was mentally yelling "Don't forget about the weapon proficiency bonus!"