🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 202 — Philip Traumatic Seymour Disorder

Not really understanding the 'shock' about this show. Have you never heard an inappropriate CBB? I laughed my ass off. And leave Thune alone. Just because I don't believe it doesn't mean I have to belittle someone else for believing it.

• Like 1

Thank you for including a video game reference for once, CBB! Even if it is incorrect. (Sonic collects rings not coins, GAWD!)

But this is the hardest I've laughed in a grip. Props.

I almost turned this episode off because Todd's voice was kind of hard to take that early in the morning, but I'm glad I stuck with it. "All I wanna do is watch every Disney movie in a row all day" is one of my favorite things ever said on CBB. And the grounded beef stuff was so good.

• Like 1

I love how the Philip Seymour Hoffman character is based solely on his name and his role in The Master. The "connection" he has with Todd is hilarious.

Not really understanding the 'shock' about this show. Have you never heard an inappropriate CBB? I laughed my ass off.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the episode was funny, too, but it easily meets the minimum requirements to qualify as shocking.

• Like 2

I'm glad I waited til the end of the episode. I wasn't a big fan of Todd, I felt the character kept stepping on any set up that Nick or James tried. Sonic (PSH) raping Tails (Giamati) was so god damn hilarious and wrong. I wish this was a video episode cause I would have loved to see Adomian doing both characters in such a ridiculous premise.

Also, as a nerd I appreciated Adomian calling out Todd for saying he saw Sonic in a Super Nintendo magazine.

• Like 1

I can kind of understand people being annoyed by Todd and turning it off, because I did find the character grating at first. Went too heavy on the "sarcastic preteen" voice. But once they got into normal conversation the voice was more toned down and didn't bother me. So anyone who turned it off, consider giving it another chance.

This one was definitely over the top, even by CBB standards. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but the ending was just... really out there, and they've never squeezed in so many vulgar and crazy things into so short a time as they did in the last 20 minutes of this thing. I was cracking up and being mind-fucked at the same time. Leave it to Adomian!

I am surprised I read through all those comments and nobody mentioned the awesome and hilarious plugs theme. Among the best plugs themes ever. So good.

And of all of the divisive elements in today's podcast, people are latching on the Todd character? We have a man raping another man in front of a racist teenaged boy being spanked bare-assed by his uncle... and people decide that the inauthentic nature of said teenaged boy is the tipping point?

Some crazy ways people decide what to like here is all I'm saying. I thought Adomian's Hoffman was pretty good, I loved the Boogie Night influence (and maybe some Happiness?) but I do agree it was pretty Master-heavy there at the end.

Also I thought Todd was hilarious. "I'll have the biggest penis ever!"

Listening to this episode on the tube my face contorting from grimace into teary laughter. People trying to figure out whether i'm having a stroke or is it just another manic episode. Jury's out. Fantastisch.

Really, Nick, you're going to give people crappy medical advise based on nothing?

Also, I love people who bash doctors as incompetent or greedy and then choose people with no training who are trying to sell them shit that doesn't work at inflated prices. Awesome decision making! And the not-a-doctor he's seeing doesn't even have to prove he had a parasite at all because he's using magic tests that THEY don't want you to know about!

And the legitimate giardia test is over 85% accurate (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2729183) and they repeat it to be sure . . .

FYI:

http://theness.com/n...the-detox-scam/

http://www.skepticno...-myth-of-detox/

http://www.scienceba...-you-know-what/

• Like 1

Also, how would he have gotten giardia unless he was drinking from gross lakes or something?

"The parasite lives in soil, food, and water. It may also be found on surfaces that have come into contact with animal or human waste.

You may become infected if you:

• Are exposed to a family member with giardiasis
  • Drink water from lakes or streams where animals such as beavers and muskrats, or domestic animals such as sheep, have left their waste
  • Eat raw or undercooked food that has been contaminated
  • Have direct person-to-person contact in day care centers, long-term care homes, or nursing homes
  • Have unprotected anal sex"

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/000288.htm

Jesus Christ, this isn't a medical message board. Give it a rest, people.

I think I finally understand why Bob Ducca hasn't been back on the show for so long.

• Like 2

This is one of the most brilliant/fucked-up episodes of CBB ever. I'm really glad I have better earbuds now because if I were listening to the last 20 minutes with my crappy earbuds that leaked sound everywhere, everybody on the bus would think I was a deranged lunatic.

I desperately want somebody who's good at art-drawing to make a picture of PSH and Paul Giamatti as Sonic and Tails.

Jesus Christ, this isn't a medical message board. Give it a rest, people.

Yeah, keep it to the Medical Beep Beep with Dr Kulap boards, guys.

Also, as a nerd I appreciated Adomian calling out Todd for saying he saw Sonic in a Super Nintendo magazine.

But it didn't need calling out, it's not the early 90's.

Mario_and_Sonic_at_the_Olympic_Games_box_art.png

Please do an all teenager episode! Marissa Wompler as the co-host, then guests Todd and Rick Faber. That would be an instant classic.

This is one of the best episodes in months. It went completely off the rails and got really dark.

---

What the hell is up with all of these people talking down to Thune and natural medicine? Calm the fuck down.

• Like 1

I thought this episode was especially interesting because this is the biggest that Scott's been the protagonist in an episode that I can remember. Usually he's the straight man, but he's one of the characters in this one, and Nick is essentially the straight man. Great way to change it up.

• Like 1

This episode was amazing. I wanted to note if no one has already how well this episode illustrates the superiority of the theater of the mind. Not only would Adomian's bit not have worked on a video episode but he and Lauren are so far away physically from who they're pretending to be that it wouldn't have played as well if you saw them, even with wigs and full costumes. '

While I love being able to peek into the studio, audio is the way to experience this show.

Adomian's PSH held the accent fairly well even when he was loud (the exception was the "-at" vowel, when he went full Jesse Ventura), but he brought in too much gravel. Maybe it's just me, but, for me PSH isn't a gravelly guy.

I enjoyed how hard Lapkus leaned into the teen boy put-upon voice.

Scott continues to be the best commercial reader/performers in all of podcastingdom and perhaps the most loveable host to boot.

I am surprised I read through all those comments and nobody mentioned the awesome and hilarious plugs theme. Among the best plugs themes ever. So good.

I thought it was solid enough but the cuss words let a little to much air out of it comedically. To me they almost always come off as a crutch in musical comedy.

• Like 1

Speaking of commercial readin - about that midroll survey (which I did fill out) - in general I loathe commercials, but I don't mind them in CBB for two reasons - 1, they tend to be actually useful things, like stamps.com and legalzoom - and also Scott's readings are always hilarious. So even when it's for just a consumer product that I don't think has any particular social value or whatever, I still don't mind listening to them.

I've been listening to old episodes where they used to have pre-recorded (i.e. not read by Scott Aukerman) soft drink commercials, and they were completely obnoxious, so glad the dropped those.

Also I was remarking before that Marissa Wompler acts too much like a 35 year old - I'm listening to episode 154 right now, and it's way better in that respect, she just seems like aprecocious eternal 15 year old. Maybe because the other guest (Lennon Parham) is playing her teacher so there are no 80s references!

Haha, I just saw scott put his foot down on the medical thing!