🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
zeecheree82

Videodrome

ok not sure if this qualifies as a "bad" movie but I just recently saw this and think it at least deserves discussion.....weird

• Like 1

Videodrome is a classic David Cronenberg movie. this movie isn't bad it's just the directors style of film making. Look at eXistenZ, The Dead Zone, Scanners and his masterpeace Naked Lunch. you ether like his movies or you don't. but that doesn't make them bad. I love these movies.

• Like 3

ok not sure if this qualifies as a "bad" movie but I just recently saw this and think it at least deserves discussion.....weird

I don't think it qualifies. It's insane and weird, but it's intentionally so, so it's not as fun to dissect.

• Like 4

I don't think it qualifies. It's insane and weird, but it's intentionally so, so it's not as fun to dissect.

Yeah I can see that.. I saw it the other day for the first time and found it pretty disturbing but intriguing none the less..

Videodrome is a classic David Cronenberg movie. this movie isn't bad it's just the directors style of film making. Look at eXistenZ, The Dead Zone, Scanners, and his master peace Naked Lunch. you ether get his movies or you don't. but that doesn't make them bad. I love these movies.

Yikes!! take it easy Its my first time posting anything anywhere on this site I am the quintessential film newb with a marginal knowledge of film directors..I wasn't full on bashing this film...merely suggesting that it could be a good discussion..

• Like 1

I had a feeling after I posted this that I was going to ruffle film buffs feathers ...geez

I had a feeling after I posted this that I was going to ruffle film buffs feathers ...geez

There there, this is a safe space! I don't think anyone was jumping on you personally. Allow me to welcome you to the fold. To somebody swimming into the deeper waters of film, as it were, Cronenberg (and Videodrome in particular) can be system shockers. Definitely a unique filmmaker presenting an insane view of the world, but it's an internally consistent insanity for the most part. With a few exceptions, HDTGM episodes tend towards those films which are just an illogical mess inside and out.

• Like 2

I'll redirect any possible Cronenberg Fan's wrath to me by saying I think he's at his best when adapting other people's work (and being reigned in by collaborators). His body horror films hold no interest for me whatsoever. But I think it's hard to argue that The Fly, The Dead Zone, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises aren't exceptionally well done films.

Yikes!! take it easy Its my first time posting anything anywhere on this site I am the quintessential film newb with a marginal knowledge of film directors..I wasn't full on bashing this film...merely suggesting that it could be a good discussion..

Don't take it the wrong way, Opps :) I would love a HDTGM podcast about any Cronenberg film, as I said he's a genius but his movies are very strange and hard to watch at times and so like I said, you ever like his movies or you don't. My sister hates them. I will admit they are often not easy movies to watch. you have to be in the right mood to get into them. But once you do you'll love them, Like I do.

Ohh i forgot about A History of Violence, Ya that was a good one too.

want to see really bad movies, but once again it's his style of film making, rent some John Waters film's. I recommend Pink Flamingos, truely crazy movie to watch.

Btw we are talking telepathically here Naked Lunch.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a difference between crazy as a choice and crazy due to a bizarre logic. There are different kinds of movies that work for the show. Bad movies, obviously, but then there's films that are crazy. But those film aren't crazy in thought provoking ways (at least the way the artist intended to provoke thought). It's why the only David Lynch film that might work is Dune (and that is debatable, I think), because it does have a craziness, its more about how the film's weirdness doesn't jive with the film itself (plus it's simply confusing and upsetting). And also, it helps that it has a lot of b-film elements.

Yeah, there's a difference between crazy as a choice and crazy due to a bizarre logic. There are different kinds of movies that work for the show. Bad movies, obviously, but then there's films that are crazy. But those film aren't crazy in thought provoking ways (at least the way the artist intended to provoke thought). It's why the only David Lynch film that might work is Dune (and that is debatable, I think), because it does have a craziness, its more about how the film's weirdness doesn't jive with the film itself (plus it's simply confusing and upsetting). And also, it helps that it has a lot of b-film elements.

Yeah, Lynch's Dune straddles a weird line. It does have a b-movieness to it, but it also features amazing set/production design. Lynch inserted some seriously odd stuff in there that was never present in the original text, and to this day a lot of it still has me scratching my head.

I think it's a fair discussion. Cronenberg does seem to deliberately create these B-movie-on-purpose worlds. I always think John Carpenter does this too.

And then I wonder if those guys are wanting to emulate Kubrich.

But I think its fair because I often wonder if Cronenberg really is some clever fella making these surreal worlds... or wait.. is it really just plain amateurish and yes its just low-budget and bad?

And another issue here - Videodrome just cannot have the same power in today's context. Which says a lot. (and was it prophetic?)

This wasn't just pre-internet but really this was the introduction of 'private viewing' era. VHS (hell.. betamax).

I don't think it works as an HDTGM,

but,

I don't balk at the suggestion. I don't know what balk means anymore. Is that right?

Now.. any super film geeks looking for a real wacko vintage Canadian horror movie might try and find:

Black Christmas.

SCTV's Andrea Martin. Margot Kidder. A creepy phone call that for some reason scared the shlt out of us as kids and I swear Eugene Levy was in this movie even though I don't see it listed on IMDB

(if you see Eugene Levy in the movie please tell me).

Videodrome and eXistenZ are my favorite Cronenberg movies. eXistenZ is definitely a B grade movie with its budget but the concept is so good and made Inception feel like a clone.

• Like 1

And another issue here - Videodrome just cannot have the same power in today's context. Which says a lot. (and was it prophetic?)

I disagree. I think it's really more prescient than ever. The film is really about the effect that violent imagery has on the mind and with a lot of films trying to amp up the gore with a real lack of content (later Saw movies, the various Hostel rip-offs) is like an assault on the mind. There is still a war for the human mind, and the videodrome isn't just limited to the TV anymore.

By lacking the same power, I explain it like this:

I recall (fading memory) but a scene in Videodrome has Woods viewing what appears to be a woman being murdered. It's grainy and OH SHIT! He's shocked and I think he even smashed the TV off in shock and horror. Later, I think he is massively relieved to learn it was fake.

That scene scared the hell out of me as a teenager! Just the disturbing idea someone would even create a fake 'snuff' video or imagine it was real!

At work I saw a couple of teens, including a girl, watching a video of what was definitely not a fake 'Syria execution' clip on an iphone.

The casual nature, the 'joshing' comments and 'whoa that's fuckn brutal!' and another said "thats nothing.. theres one where they pull this guys arms apart using trucks".

It was nothing to them.

So I would have to imagine that videodrome scene would have very little power to them if they saw it today.

No Dead Ringers fans? It's like The Prestige, but if Christian Bale's character was a gynecologist instead of a magician.

• Like 1

No Dead Ringers fans? It's like The Prestige, but if Christian Bale's character was a gynecologist instead of a magician.

It has been a long time but i do not remember any similarities between Dead Ringers and The Prestige.

Saw something about a remake of this film....discuss?

There's no reason to remake it. It's so of its time and place that a remake would be a whole other beast, and might as well just be its own thing.

There's no reason to remake it. It's so of its time and place that a remake would be a whole other beast, and might as well just be its own thing.

I'm going to agree with you..not sure where they would go with a remake of this film...it is forever burned into my memory..especially the chest vagina...

Which is still not as weird as the but with a talking anus from one of Cronenberg's other movies around that time: Naked Lunch. His 80s movies were generally pretty weird.

Well, "Naked Lunch" was A: Released in 1991, and B: Is based off an even weirder book (and the author's life story mixed in). But yeah, Cronenberg's made so many bizarre films that it almost seems like he must have directed "A Dangerous Method" on the strongest sedatives on the market.

Sign in to follow this