🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 117 — LIVE from SF Sketchfest 2013

Ku-Ku & Wie-Wie brought the charts to the bay area with special guest Michael Showalter! Recorded live from the San Francisco Sketchfest, they talk Digital Underground & other bay area rappers as they count down Complex’s Greatest Bay Area Rap Songs. We hear about Michael’s first time smoking weed as they countdown Total Film’s Coolest Movie Monkeys and he also gives us an oral history of his sketch group The State as he shows off his incredible whacking skills at a game of Chart Piñata. KOALA!

Kulap is a moron. And this podcast has turned into an infomercial for ridiculous nonsense. No fucking shaman or reflexology garbage is going to improve your life. Also, that ion necklace bullshit that Howard is all about was the last straw for me.

I guess living in California makes you stupid.

Who Charted used to be my favorite. Now these idiots have made, what was the most fun podcast, worthless.

• Like 2

Kulap is a moron. And this podcast has turned into an infomercial for ridiculous nonsense. No fucking shaman or reflexology garbage is going to improve your life. Also, that ion necklace bullshit that Howard is all about was the last straw for me.

Who Charted used to be my favorite. Now these idiots have made, what was the most fun podcast, worthless.

I think you need to see a spiritualologist. You're giving off really negative ions.

• Like 7

Did someone anchor this before, or, has your tolerance for people's hobbies become severely crippled?

You bum me out, and looking at your past posts bums me out further. Be well, we're all rooting for you!

• Like 7

I feel like you might have a blockage in your Anahata chakra. Can I recommend some cleansing herbal teas or a solid hour of the pranava mantra? Also your aura is the color of buttholes and your spirit animal is a hagfish.

• Like 6

In non-troll news...

Howard's Shredstaurant pitch has really improved since he first introduced it. This one was great.

During the "Koala" talk, I'm surprised Howard didn't plug his appearance on Rafflecast.

It was weird that the "top movie monkeys" list didn't include anything from the Planet of the Apes series (I kind of thought Caesar from "Rise of" would be #1, hence the SF connection). If the reasoning was that those are apes rather than monkeys, that doesn't really fly, because King Kong (possibly others, don't remember the full list) is an ape, too.

Showalter was awesome at Chart Pinata. I know they've had repeat guests, but the original formula final chart is way better than "other famous _ _'s".

Jesus. It's cool to act like youre happy to be there. Showalter sounds like he was forced to attend.

Still love the show, but the live ones seem to lack something.

• Like 1

Jesus. It's cool to act like youre happy to be there. Showalter sounds like he was forced to attend.

Still love the show, but the live ones seem to lack something.

To me, it sounded like Showalter was really hesitant for the first 15 minutes or so, but then figured out the rhythm of the show. It came off to me like he was having fun for the last 40 minutes or so.

They sound really tired in this one but still manage to make it somewhat enjoyable. It really felt like a filler episode that I guess it's meant to be to give them a break.

I did think the live charts themes was pretty cool.

Also i roll my eyes when any of the new age shaman stuff gets mention but it's nowhere near bad enough to stop someone who loves the show.

Hmm. Well, KV is always forthright about her openness to fringy stuff...my major Pecksniff comment on this one would be to note that orangutans and chimps aren't monkeys. They're Apes, like us...which is why they resent us, when they do, so thoroughly. Not that the monkeys don't resent us, when they do, as well (monkeys are smart enough to have their own agendas). (And those other primates, lemurs, supposedly can't be trusted not to spread their excrement around...whatever metaphor for foul-tempered commenters one might wish to draw from that, is up to you.)

Ftr, I'm not hating like that other dude. Love the show, just thought that Showalter wasnt into it, although he does get better.

Fargo shoutout! (We're not in Minnesota, Kulap)

That was weird. I kind of can't believe that Kulap doesn't know that, so the only explanation I could think of was that it was brought up in reference to Brainerd, where the movie Fargo took place.

I agree that the live shows don't feel quite right, but I thought this one overcame that more than some of the others. I think that Ku and Wie just have a certain rhythm that they're used to in the studio, and trying to adapt that to play to a live crowd messes with things a little.

showalter was an ok guest. it probably would've been better to bring someone back or find someone who actually listens to the show. i think most live podcasts in general thrive on callbacks and insider references.

proud of my people for repping the bay—even if they were mostly white and/or transplants and knew nothing about local hip hop.

#KOALA

You are the worst for attacking someone that is willing to be so open to new ideas (and to publicly discuss them). I would be so disappointed if that comment at all discouraged Kulap from talking about the new-agey stuff she is into.

What you say you hate about Ku-Ku and Wie-Wie are what makes the both of them so great. Hoping your Summah gets rained out.

• Like 3

I want to hang out with Howard.

I try not to say "dude" a lot, but dude I'm with you 100%. I would love to watch Nashville or just go for a walk to hear his observations. One day when I write his biography I will have the chance.

One on one time of course, Howard wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 1

I try not to say "dude" a lot, but dude I'm with you 100%. I would love to watch Nashville or just go for a walk to hear his observations. One day when I write his biography I will have the chance.

One on one time of course, Howard wouldn't have it any other way.

This is going to sound weird but sometimes I wish I could reconfigure my thought patterns to closer resemble Howard's.

This ep. was fun. Not the best ever but all that hatred is so alien to me. Who Charted has given us all many hours of awesome entertainment and then after one okay episode it seems appropriate to make an account and complain??? Go ahead and complain, but after the next great episode make sure you compliment and tell Kuku and Weewee how much you love it.

I haven't finished this one yet, and it seems fine so far except for one thing. Most of the audience's replies are imperceptible! So annoying! Crowd work with no mics doesn't play on podcasts! Otherwise a good show. Thanks!

Biased 'cause I was there? Maybe, BUT considering the fact that this was their 3rd live show in as many days, I think it was a solid performance. And hey...you know where the doors are!

00000070.png

Sign in to follow this