🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ramsincanon

Blow Dry (2001)

This movie exists for some reason. Not really a comedy (cancer subplot); not really a drama (it's about a wacky hair styling competition). Alan Rickman is in it, suffering through the horrible acting of Josh Hartnett (English accent!) and Rachel Leigh Cook (no accent because she's that bad!). In fact, Rachel Leigh Cook is so bad that I suspect they built in a backstory about her being from Minnesota because she is so unable to do an English, or any, accent that they had to have her character come from where Rachel Leigh Cook herself actually is from.

Bought this movie in the bargain bin of a close-out Hollywood Video in Chicago in 2004. As terrible as it is, it's on Netflix Instant! http://movies.netfli...5?trkid=2361637

Here's their description:

Alan Rickman stars as Phil, a once-great hairstylist reduced to running a barbershop in the desolate English burg of Keighley, who decides to give the big time another shot when the national hairdressing championships come to town. The contest appeals to his competitive spirit, but it also affords him a chance to get even with his ex-wife, Shelley (Natasha Richardson), a competing stylist. It's The Full Monty with hair curlers.

This needs June Diane's treatment.

• Like 1

YES.

I WANT THIS.

Ohhhh Josh Harnett... I could never ever get behind Josh Harnett even though a large percentage of my friends in 8th grade insisted he was the hottest guy alive. I'm kinda glad that he seems to have fallen off the earth.

Just added this to my instant queue, can't wait to watch this after reading that description. I really thought you were making it up till I read it on the site.

Holy fucking shit this movie is incredible. There are so many what the fuck moments I wouldn't know where to begin, the sheep coloring is pretty amazing though. The one question I have is, does anybody know what "scissors battle hots up" mean? I know it's a play on words but I don't get it.

Great pick and I recommend everyone watch this for Hartnett's accent if nothing else..

Since this is on netflix instant I want to keep this towards the top so people can see it. It's really worth watching, I promise.

"Hots up" is just a British expression meaning "gets exciting" just the same as "heats up" does. So "scissors battle hots up" would suggest that portion of the hair cutting competition was starting to get exciting. I don't know why they say hots up instead of heats up, they just do.

That's what I thought but I had never heard that expression and thought maybe I was missing some really obvious play on words. Also I can't stand the way they use the word "were".

Guys come on. ALAN RICKMAN PLAYS A RELUCTANT-TO-GET-BACK-IN-THE-COMPETITIVE-HAIR-STYLIN-GAME-HAIR-STYLIST! Alan Rickman does that! Plus Hartnett!

Bumping this, because it has to be done. I unabashedly love the whole contest sequence at the end of the movie. Plus you get to hear Josh Hartnett do some super questionable accent work. 

Rachel Griffiths hair and costume for that were out of this fucking world. Whoever the hair and makeup team for that movie was i'm sure they had the times of their lives coming up with and executing all of those amazing designs. 

r-g-bd.jpg

Sign in to follow this