🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kimba2488

Mannequin: On the Move (1991)

Like the first mannequin, but this time with Kristy Swanson as a cursed peasant girl who is turned into a mannequin when wearing an enchanted necklace.

Highlights:

The flamboyant character Hollywood gets turned into a mannequin at one point.

The guy in it tries to cook hot dogs in a toaster.

The mom from Mad About You playing double duty as a modern day mom and an evil queen.

Ends with a Jefferson Starship song.

At one point the mannequin chick teaches a whole club full of people to do a courtly dance.

I loved this movie when I was a kid because it had what I thought was a princess in a spandex dress and I always wanted to be a hot princess in a spandex dress.

This movie's a weird mess.

This and Caddyshack 2 were on all the time on the local TV network. Which apparently hated us.

Another movie I watched all the time on HBO back in the day and still sort-of love. I also sort-of hate myself, so it all works out.

It's obviously bad, but strangely watchable. The 80's sensibility is overwhelming (Count Spretzle's bodyguards are rocking the day-glo gym gear SO HARD!) and let's not get into the whole "beautiful woman falls in love with some guy because random arbitrary magic bullshit" love story, but it's... I don't know. Funny-ish? It almost funny-ish.

Meshach Taylor is funny despite the stereotypical flammability of his character and Terry Kiser straight-up kills. I love how William Ragsdale takes the steering wheel off his Jeep in what seems like the best part of town. Like anyone is going to steal that fucking Jeep; this ain't Florida.

And kudos to the single dude who composed and performed the score on his shitty Casio; the synth-strings are both magnificent and haunting.

Cursing people by turning them into mannequins was apparently all the rage in the ancient world.

• Like 1

Can we please get some reasoning behind these suggestions and not just an IMDB link? I realize you're new, but that's all your posts are, and a lot of them have already been suggested, so you might want to do a search first. But please, yes, tell us something about what your suggestions mean to you! A lot of people have a lot of good stories here about the movies they bring up, even if they aren't choices I agree with. Good times!

I watched Mannequin 2 last year sometime and loved it! Kristy Swanson pulls off this weird thing where she's both adorable and hot, Ragsdale was dopey cute, Terry Kiser is always fun. I found it enjoyable.

Yea this one is easily better than the first. Andrew Mccarthy is just too much of a smug shit in all his roles to really root for him in any of his movies.

The first one was also waaaaaaaaaaay to involved in selling the high stakes world of window displays for some reason.

Yea this one is easily better than the first. Andrew Mccarthy is just too much of a smug shit in all his roles to really root for him in any of his movies.

The first one was also waaaaaaaaaaay to involved in selling the high stakes world of window displays for some reason.

I think they're both super fun, but the second one smartly knows to dial up the camp.

And yes, the seriousness and dedication to window merchandising is very amusing. In reality, that's a task that an assistant manager would take care of in the hour before the store opens.

Sign in to follow this