🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
seanotron

Predator 2 (1990)

I actually like this movie, but it is crazy and ridiculous (and pretty racist). It was critically panned and was not a big box office hit. Plus Gary Busey!

tumblr_m7cx37lxZz1r89snho1_500.jpg

To me it's one of the few sequels that holds up to the original. Plus it gave us nerds hope for the Aliens vs. Predator movie that we all wanted to see.

• Like 1

I would nominate it in the spirit of Crank 2.

Plus it gave us nerds hope for the Aliens vs. Predator movie that we all wanted to see.

And then that hope was crushed forever with 2 completely terrible AVP movies.

I talked about this movie before, but it was one of the other predator movies, I think predators. anyway this is on cable like every weekend and it's one of the worst ones of the predator movies I've ever seen. it's typical hollywood franchising, like what would happen if they made a ghostbusters movie with out Bill Murray, or better let like one of you guys pointed out. let Dan Aykroyd write it off his meds. I didn't even know about this movie tell it started showing up on cable so that tells you the marketing. did this even make any money?

There are so many elements that make this a bad movie. Number one it takes place in a downtown city, not in the jungle and it's got these crazy list of actors, Bill Paxton, Gary Busey, Danny Glover, but not real action stars in this film.

This would make a good show, because it's got all the elements, it should of been a good film but it wasn't.

With this film, Bill Paxton took his place in a third major sci-fi franchise following Aliens and Terminator. And when's that crossover gonna disappoint us, already?

• Like 1

Yeah, I think one of the things that helps the original is being set in the jungle, it doesn't necessarily put it in any specific time period. Putting the action in downtown LA with rival Jamaican voodoo gangs was an utterly bizarre story choice.

It made its money back, but it was considered a big failure based on the success of the first one.

Putting the action in downtown LA with rival Jamaican voodoo gangs was an utterly bizarre story choice.

Ah-ah. Downtown LA in the distant chaotic future of 1997.

Ah-ah. Downtown LA in the distant chaotic future of 1997.

I guess you have to admire their optimism in thinking that technology would advance so quickly in 7 years (as well as their pessimism about gang warfare).

• Like 1

And then that hope was crushed forever with 2 completely terrible AVP movies.

I'll admit that the first one was terrible because it was PG-13, but the sequel was a guilty pleasure because of how over the top it was with violence and the idea that pregnant women fired off more chestbursters since the babies could be infected. And Predator 2 had a great thing with the toy guns that the cops used to fight off drug dealers and an alien hunter.

• Like 1

The 2nd one was directed by the Brothers Strause of Skyline fame. I will say no more.

Yeah, I think one of the things that helps the original is being set in the jungle, it doesn't necessarily put it in any specific time period. Putting the action in downtown LA with rival Jamaican voodoo gangs was an utterly bizarre story choice.

It made its money back, but it was considered a big failure based on the success of the first one.

I really liked the change of setting though, and I think that the movie being so dated (I would even say post-dated) actually helps, because if they did another one that took place in a city, at least it would be different from the OTHER one that took place in a city. If you have a more timeless setting, it kind of makes it seem like more of the same. For instance, "Predators" seemed like more of a re-hash or a remake of the original than a different movie, whether it be a sequel or just another movie taking place in a universe where predators were running around. It reminds me of "Jurassic Park", like how "Lost World" was pretty much the same movie as the first one, but they just remembered to bring guns this time. Not really being a fan of the first film, I was hoping that "Lost World" would be the "Predator 2" of it's franchise with dinosaurs terrorizing a new environment where dinosaurs aren't supposed to be, placing innocent people in danger, not just a bunch of trained soldiers, which we got for about 10 minutes at the end.

Keep in mind, I actually do like the movie. But I don't think this type of movie works in a city setting. Like Alien/s, it requires a certain amount of isolation.

I think Predator 2 gets a bit of a bad wrap. An underrated sequel that holds up well with the original. It does have a few problems, but I just enjoy the hell outta this movie. I was squealing at the end when the alien skull was in the trophy case. Won't go into my soul-crushing disappointment with AVP, which by the way would be perfect for the podcast. So many things wrong with that film and sadly the second film wasn't much better...

• Like 1

I hope they do this one during their summer action movies thing. There's a lot of great trivia for Predator 2.

This was the first film to be given the newly instituted NC-17 rating in the US for its graphic violence before it was re-cut to its final theatrical length.

The film was re-cut over 20 times, according to director Stephen Hopkins, because of more graphic shots of mutilated bodies and decapitations by the Predator.

At one point Arnold Schwarzenegger was going to co-star in the film, but chose to doTerminator 2: Judgment Day instead.

At one point, Patrick Swayze was approached to star in the film but was unable because he was injured during the filming of Road House. (nobody puts Predator in a corner)

The Jamaican voodoo posse gangs seen in the film were based on actual gangs that were terrorizing New York City and Kansas City at one point in the mid- to late-1980s.

The filming of the alley scene was very troublesome for the filmmakers due to it being filmed in a very rough neighborhood. The film crew found a dead body hidden amongst the garbage.

The first film Gary Busey made after his near-fatal motorcycle accident.

Though shot in 1990, the film takes place in 1997. The characters, especially Danny Glover's, are all seen sweating profusely throughout the film to convey the effects of advanced "global warming.

Bill Paxton is the only actor have been killed or assaulted in some way by one of the Aliens, the Predator and The Terminator.

And someone thought this would be cool to do:

• Like 2

I would love to see that NC-17 cut. That's a cool fact about Paxton bein killed by sci-fi legends, it reminded me about how Robert Patrick is the only actor to have been killed by all three founders of Planet Hollywood: killed in T2 by Arnold, Die Hard 2 by Bruce Willis, and Copland by Stallone. Never knew this was Busey's first movie after his accident, but looking back I can tell a difference between his acting styles and mannerisms from before and after.

• Like 1

That gave me Ninja Turtle flashbacks.

Also, this is fucking insane.

152205_v1.jpg

Are we sure Paxton wasn't the other shooter on the grassy knoll?

Are we sure Paxton wasn't the other shooter on the grassy knoll?

Naw, that was Bill PULLMAN. Common mistake.

• Like 2

Naw, that was Bill PULLMAN. Common mistake.

Everyone knows you don't push the Pullman!

My fingers are still crossed that they will do this one.

aThough shot in 1990, the film takes place in 1997. The characters, especially Danny Glover's, are all seen sweating profusely throughout the film to convey the effects of advanced "global warming.ve been killed or a

I think it's more a case of him being too old for this shit...and hilarious miscasting. Mostly hilarious miscasting.

tumblr_o6bw2nKAPy1rf1yd3o1_400.gif

What happens when you replace Arnold Schwarzenegger twice in one sequel?

You get Predator 2, starring Danny Glover and Gary Busey, who play roles originally meant for Arnold.

[media='']

[/media]

This special effects-heavy science fiction sequel moves the action from the first film's Amazon forest to the urban jungle of L.A. Danny Glover stars as Lt. Mike Harrigan, an LAPD detective baffled by his latest case, the ritualistic slaughter of several drug dealers by a devastating killer who leaves no traces. As Harrigan and his partners, Danny Archuletta (Ruben Blades), Leona Cantrell (Maria Conchita Alonso), and Jerry Lambert (Bill Paxton), try to figure out who or what killed the criminals, FBI investigator Stephen Keyes (Gary Busey) attempts to warn the team away from investigating further. When two of his team are killed in a particularly grisly way, Harrigan uncovers the truth -- their quarry is an alien creature that hunts humans for sport. Attracted to violence, its latest choice of prey is gun-toting Jamaican drug dealers. Keyes and his team know all about the nasty extraterrestrial and its bloody pastime because they've been studying it for ten years, and they've come up with a possible means of dispatching the beast. When that plan backfires, however, it comes down to Harrigan and an extremely irritated otherworldly foe, slugging it out in a rooftop confrontation.

• Like 1

Predator 2 is great, and I also think it's a great fit for HDTGM. One of those movies that'll make Jason go "THIS MOVIE IS FUCKING AWESOME." over and over.

Predator 2 is great, and I also think it's a great fit for HDTGM. One of those movies that'll make Jason go "THIS MOVIE IS FUCKING AWESOME." over and over.

I love it too, just keep in mind it has 25% on Rotten Tomatoes ;)