🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 16 — The Water Box

No, Sark does not seem like that kind of DM, (neither am I!) but 4e requires maps for combat. No getting around it, and the more rules the gang picks up as they go, the more their game will break down. Weather or not they ever touch a module, eventually they will catch on to the rules as they gain levels. And 4e rules won't work for this table.

No new books is neither here nor there, just a fact. There are no new books for red box but it shouldn't stop any one from playing it. 4e simply has ended production. For better or worse.

It is a shame they dont have a better table. Then again it sounds like they don't even have central air.

Azrael: "No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air."

• Like 1

Play anything you want, that's cool, but 4e has only the past and no "future" (material).

I believe this group will more likely move away from something resembling "by the book" 4th edition. Whether they change systems all together, who knows. I know I saw Sark at least mention the possibility in a post somewhere. As for 4th going away...I think as long as there is a strong community still playing, even if the company halts production, you will see a steady flow of new material generated by fans. ...and of course as others mentioned above, you can continue to generate your own material until the end of (your) time.

true dat! For the time being wotc is still putting out 4e adventures monthly in their Dragon magazine (pdf free!) and I have no doubt 4e will live on because it is a really great game. (just not for these guys!) (unless they get a bigger table!)

How is 4e over and done with? I'm a 4e DM. There are people still playing 2e. And people even play the original box set. Just because you are done with it does not mean it is over with. Neither sourcebooks nor imagination have expiration dates.

I am so sick of hipsters nut-riding nerd culture from one trend to another.

Really not sure what that last line has to do with the rest of your post.But, um. I don't know how to defend myself from that - I'll try this: I started playing red box when I was 8, I owned many Shadowrun books in my Teenage years and I currently have something like 60 Pathfinder or Pathfinder compatible products. Also, never been called a hipster before in my life(fag, goth, freak yes... hipster, no)

The first part of your post was covered by many other people.

Oh yeah... You're that guy. Making the same tired "4e is over" declaration in multiple threads. You're like the Portlandia character.

The sheer arrogance that you display by saying simply, "I don't play it and it was a failure so I feel sorry for anyone actually interested in this" is insane.

How do you feel about people still playing Sega Genesis games? "Golden Axe is over!"

Stop trying to nerd-bully people because of your personal preferences. If people enjoy 4e, who the fuck are you to sneer at it?

"Being rational is over!"

How do you feel about people still playing Sega Genesis games? "Golden Axe is over!"

Now I want to play some Golden Axe!

Speaking of hack and slash, spent a lot of quarters on these. Looking forward to this release.

Oh yeah... You're that guy. Making the same tired "4e is over" declaration in multiple threads. You're like the Portlandia character.

4e being over is a genuine concern in the instances(2 I think) that I brought it up. If you're either starting up(like fans of this show inspired to start playing d&d) or buying a new edition now this is a very bad(the worst?) time to do so.

The sheer arrogance that you display by saying simply, "I don't play it and it was a failure so I feel sorry for anyone actually interested in this" is insane.

Haha. I'm happy for anyone who enjoys 4e. I feel sorry for Sark who has to DM it and has said that it's not really to his taste and house-rules it into something that looks very little like 4e and I feel sorry for people who buy it(especially those who do so based on this show which plays very little like 4th) - if they end up loving it that's awesome for them, I just would prefer they had a chance to make an informed decision rather than buying what was the current game with Dungeons & Dragons on the cover was.

..If people enjoy 4e, who the fuck are you to sneer at it?

I don't sneer at it as an rpg just as a type of d&d. I'm going to try and find a Zak S quote about 4th that made sense to me .. and found it

"Nobody would have a problem with this game if it were just called Ninja Destruction Squad 9000 or X-Men: the RPG. It makes a really great kung-fu movie or superhero RPG.

The only problem is that this fun and interesting game of cheesy tactics has been spot-welded onto a game (and a name) a lot of us like to think is also equally about weird worlds and exploration and outside-the-box problem-solving and was maybe even a little influenced by things that happened in books. Type 4 feels like one of those action flicks where everything but the fight scenes seems like filler because you know that what the director's best at is fight scenes and yet the director doesn't seem to know that you know and so keeps thinking he can make you care that the blonde is kissing the hero and the sidekick has a cocaine habit."

So yeah, I've tried to make sure that people know there are many alternatives to it and that a whole new version that seems nothing like it is right around the corner. However as it bugs you so much I'll make sure never to say anything pertaining to editions here again. If I feel amazingly compelled I'll point them to this post. Okay? :)

Got to agree with most of your last post there. While 4e seems quick, easy & fun it is all about fighting & maxing your character. I think I may have said it before but its funny that games liek D&D led to the development of mmorpgs and now those games have influenced how D&D plays. Combat in 4e is totally "push 1, 2, 3, repeat".

That said I'd play it, beats factoring THAC0.

• Like 1

God, THAC0. I had a long hiatus from d&d when I was busy with sex, drugs and being a teenager(Okay, that also involved quite a few games of Shadownrun and WoD) but I remember reading online about 3rd coming out and the changes to AC and thinking 'How come we all persisted with the shared delusion that THAC0 was a fine and normal idea for so long'.

That also reminds of the 18 to % Str system. I mostly played Basic and Expert set as a kid, but we played a half dozen or so games of 2nd edition with the Krynn setting book when I was about 11 as we were Dragonlance fans. I rolled the only natural 18/100 strength I or anyone I've know rl has ever seen. Made him a Knight called Sir Tigerblade(I was 11) played one session for about 6 hours and never got to play him again. What a waste. Thanks for the memories.

(and I hope this post escapes my own self imposed edition talk ban in spirit if not the letter of the law)

• Like 1

i loved ellryan/gerry's playing of him so much, i'm kinda afraid of the reincarnation cuz it's gonna be so hard to live up to my expectations for him