🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I just noticed this movie on Netflix streaming and must admit I have not watched it yet (but will tonight) however I think I can safely recommend this as a bad movie, after all it's starring America's sweatheart, Miley Cyrus. So I'll BRB and give you all the 411 on this POS.

Ok, so this movie is awful. It features nearly every teen movie/TV show cliche imaginable and is a chore to watch.

Here's a list of the cliches:

slow-motion shot of cool girls

lead character narration

battle of the bands

trip to Paris

nerd hooks up with popular girl

relationship confusion leads to break up but they get back together

guy BFF becomes boyfriend

hip grand mother

hot teacher

mean hot girl

party mishaps

snails for dinner in France (of course!)

meet cute

principal that tries to be hip

older song sing-a-long

overbearing parents that mellow out

letter narration that ties up plot point

sobbing on bed

music montage

all problems are solved with a hug

One more thing that drove me crazy; Lola is southern but grew up in Chicago with her not-southern parents.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I, too, just noticed this on Netflix streaming. Haven't watched it but I would. Just perused both the 5 and 1 star reviews on Amazon, and this looks like a solid straight to video turd.

• Like 1

So is it just terrible, or would it make good HDTGM material? I added it to my queue when I saw it as well, from what I saw it's a remake of a movie that was poorly received to begin with.

I think it's HDTGM material. The movie features well-known stars, is a mess of a story and even had some controversy regarding its box office numbers (the studio wouldn't release them). It had a lot going for it to be successful and being based on another movie, one would think this would be a slam dunk for at least turning a modest profit.

There are a few scenes I think would be great to hear Jason comment on (one in the first few minutes, the other involving a raw chicken).

It's such a disaster of a movie that it literally left me wondering, "How did this get made?!"

Plus, it would be nice to hear June's perspective on this since it was marketed toward the ladies.

Pretty sure this is great material..starring the Disney star rebel teen actress now over 18, a former A-list star going through a divorce. Actually went to theatres. The director's film before this one was titled LOL (Laughing Out Loud).

We got the poster for this one at my theater, and I'm pretty sure it ended up being one of those movies that we completely forgot about that we didn't even realize had been out until we saw it pop up on DVD shelves at Wal Mart. See also "Dr. Doolittle 3".

Miley Cyrus & Brooke Shields star in this coming of age crapfest, but the twist is its in the digital age! Based on a French film of the same name, this movie is so baffling and awful. I feel like this scene says everything about it. Did I mention plot development is done through facebook chat? Jason could definitely jerk it to this movie. It's on Netflix Instant watch right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htyqjlLCE9s

This movie is crazy bad. Some friends and I rented it for bad movie night and it expected it to be bad in a "Oh, this movie's for preteens" kind of way, but holy shit, it's just plain terrible. Miley's trying to act but can't and Demi's not even trying and within the first five minutes there's some weird creepy incest vibes. I still can't believe how bad it was. Absolutely HDTGM material.

I am watching this movie right now and I all I can think about is how badly I want to hear the HDTGM crew's opinions on it.... I literally cannot believe what I am watching. I love it.

I just wanted to bump this in light of the VMAs, unfortunately though they probably wouldn't be able to get to it while it was topical.

I just wanted to bump this in light of the VMAs, unfortunately though they probably wouldn't be able to get to it while it was topical.

Is that really unfortunate though? I'm glad I don't have to hear about Miley Cyrus at the VMAs on of my favorite podcasts.

anyone check the clock to see if Miley Cyrus's 15 mins are up yet?AJSisof.jpg

I'll have to check this LOL movie out now.. thanks alot.

• Like 2

anyone check the clock to see if Miley Cyrus's 15 mins are up yet?

That sounds like a bad idea… If you do end up watching it, would you please report back when you finish it (granted it doesn't kill you)?

• Like 1

It sounds like there will be enough to talk about in this movie and never utter "twerking."

anyone check the clock to see if Miley Cyrus's 15 mins are up yet?AJSisof.jpg

I LOVED THE GIFS THAT CAME OUT OF THIS PERFORMANCE.

miley-cyrus-beetlejuice-mtv-vma-2013-tumblr.jpg

• Like 2

Is that really unfortunate though? I'm glad I don't have to hear about Miley Cyrus at the VMAs on of my favorite podcasts.

Yeah, they mentioned her on Shots Fired and Who Charted. I was like, "ugh. yeah, she sucks."

i can see Miley Cyrus becoming the next Lindsay Lohan.

I don't think so. The Cyrus family seems (from what I know of looking at the cover of In Touch and People while waiting in line) like a solid, country-fried unit. That was Lohan's problem; she has a shitty family and had no support system when she in trouble, everyone around her was enabling her drug and alcohol problems. I remember reading a Tina Fey interview a few years back and she was like "Lindsay, girl, please get your shit together."

I guess I feel kinda bad for her (even though she's rich and whatever) because she was just used as a money machine by her parents -- her Dad even sued her at some point -- and every tiny thing she does is picked over by "entertainment media", like the entire world talks massive shit about her all over the internet and in print. That's got to fucking suck. And because this is how she grew up, she doesn't know how else to live. I would kill myself.

• Like 2

I don't think so. The Cyrus family seems (from what I know of looking at the cover of In Touch and People while waiting in line) like a solid, country-fried unit. That was Lohan's problem; she has a shitty family and had no support system when she in trouble, everyone around her was enabling her drug and alcohol problems. I remember reading a Tina Fey interview a few years back and she was like "Lindsay, girl, please get your shit together."

I guess I feel kinda bad for her (even though she's rich and whatever) because she was just used as a money machine by her parents -- her Dad even sued her at some point -- and every tiny thing she does is picked over by "entertainment media", like the entire world talks massive shit about her all over the internet and in print. That's got to fucking suck. And because this is how she grew up, she doesn't know how else to live. I would kill myself.

I forgot about Lindsay Lohan's bat shit crazy mother. whos almost as bad as she is. I could see it happening a Miley Cyrus melt down happening. Mark my words.

Lots of valid points all over the place. It's also worth noting VMA performances are known for being absolutely crazy already, so I'm guessing that it was more of a publicity thing that an actual reflection on her.

Musically, I guilty-pleasure like the new Miley (It's just standard Party-Party fluff), and I really didn't care about her performance. I was initially shocked, but rewatching it, it just felt like "Oh, this is her version of Britney in 2000". The performance really felt like a combination of Britney doing Oops I Did It Again and Gimme More. I will give her credit though, all that singing was real

With that being said, if it's a push for a Miley movie, I'm going to find the post for The Last Song and bump it, because Nicholas Sparks needs to be done. You have been warned.

They could even do a Miley triple-feature with The Last Song, LOL, and Hannah Montana: The Movie.

"Oh, this is her version of Britney in 2000".

You mean 2003? When she kissed Madonna? That's an interesting comparison, because Miley Cyrus caused some hubbub(?) in terms of racism and/or cultural misappropriation and the idea of two straight women kissing and playing lesbian was much more titillating and less shocking than, you know, actual lesbians having a kiss. So in a way, they're similar acts -- assuming a stance that is false or not earned, for benefit of publicity/controversy, without having to deal with the reality of living as a LGBT person.

• Like 3

I actually meant her 2000 performance, where she performed "Oops" and stripped down from a style suit to a skin toned outfit like Miley's (Made of reasonable fabric rather than horrible latex). I though "Oh, she's stripping to where she's LOOKS naked like Britney"

Of Course, 2003 Britney is just 2000 Britney + 2007 Britney, so that comparison makes sense

I also have a lot to say about the racism and "minstrel show" comparisons she recieved, but I'll save those for when "How Did This Get Recorded?" is made.

Sign in to follow this