🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
clancy

Nerd Poker Forum Soundtrack

What would life be without music? I'm probably as big a fan of music as I am sci-fi/fantasy/role-playing. It seemed like a good idea to get an ever-growing soundtrack going here in the forum. There are a lot of songs that I really feel like listening to when I'm in a heavy role-playing mindset. I'd love to see others share the music they associate with their gaming lifestyle!

Thought I'd kick things off with Blue Öyster Cult's "Black Blade", from the 1980 album "Cultösaurus Erectus". Lyrics penned by sci-fi writer Michael Moorcock. A song about Elric of Melniboné's sword Stormbringer.

I'm a fan of Thin Lizzy's Emerald.

Love me some Thin Lizzy!

• Like 2

Hopefully Amarth will survive this epic tale, so he may then "come to know the pleasures of women, when he is bred to the finest stock". Granted if they don't get out of this tower soon and get to a tavern he may start longing for the Beer Hall of Valhalla!

A little Mötorhead on this Nerd Poker Eve!

Iron Maiden. Goes well with any fantasy. One of my friends has been seriously into them since we were like 12, and now calls their brand of metal "Quest Metal."

• Like 1

Iron Maiden. Goes well with any fantasy. One of my friends has been seriously into them since we were like 12, and now calls their brand of metal "Quest Metal."

First of all, throwing up the horns for your friend. Not only because he's a fellow Maiden fan, but because I LOVE when people make up their own genre names. "Quest Metal", I dig that and may have to steal it! Man I'd rather be at an Iron Maiden show right about now. Granted I'm at work. I'd rather literally be in a fucking Iron Maiden. At least the new Nerd Poker is up!

• Like 1

First of all, throwing up the horns for your friend. Not only because he's a fellow Maiden fan, but because I LOVE when people make up their own genre names. "Quest Metal", I dig that and may have to steal it! Man I'd rather be at an Iron Maiden show right about now. Granted I'm at work. I'd rather literally be in a fucking Iron Maiden. At least the new Nerd Poker is up!

Quest Metal is yours my friend. I was lucky enough to see them last year in ATL (they had not played there in almost 20 years.) They still fucking kill it and Bruce can still sing. The fans were even nicer than the hippies who hang around most of the shows I see.

I cannot count the number of times my buddy beat MegaMan X in one run with Number Of The Beast blasting throughout the house. I will forever associate Metal with serious gaming.

• Like 1

I love Iron Maiden. They fit D&D so well. So many songs could work. "Sea of Madness" "Ghost of the Navigator" "To Tame A Land" "Back In the Village" come to mind during this adventure. Lyrics don't always fit but the music matches up. I think any song by Iron Maiden could fit D&D. Other than that I think Saxon's Frozen Rainbow/ Rainbow Theme is a good one

• Like 1

In addition to Miaden, Dio and Dio-era Black Sabbath are D&D soundtracks. Neon Knights makes me think of 1st and 2nd edition D&D.

This is another song I love that fits D&D. The ending alone...

• Like 2

Other than that I think Saxon's Frozen Rainbow/ Rainbow Theme is a good one

Everything you said about Maiden...spot on. I fucking kid you not, I dropped this Saxon record on the turntable after work just last night. I was getting things ready for a game to coincide with that http://www.tabletopday.com/ Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day started. Anyway, was a great record to spin while doing that and when I saw your post...simpatico dude!

This is another song I love that fits D&D. The ending alone...

Very fitting. I was going to say, "especially since Cliff Burton was a D&D player". Found this, so if the internet isn't lying...

"Ktulu was the name of a Dungeons and Dragons character used by Cliff Burton - as stated in Metallica's book "So What". Just a random piece of information."

- Jamie, Noel Shore, Canada

Everything you said about Maiden...spot on. I fucking kid you not, I dropped this Saxon record on the turntable after work just last night. I was getting things ready for a game to coincide with that http://www.tabletopday.com/ Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day started. Anyway, was a great record to spin while doing that and when I saw your post...simpatico dude!

That's an awesome coincidence. Or maybe it wasn't a coincidence at all. The spirit of metal at work! And I didn't know Cliff Burton played D&D, that's awesome. Kind of makes sense.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Thin Lizzy's Emerald.

*For the life of me I can't figure out how I embedded the video on the other thread.

Nevermind figured it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTPrEoT9BI

I'm ashamed that I didn't know this song before you shared it, but I'm glad you did. This song rules, I keep listening to it. Now I can see where Maiden got some of their style. Thanks for sharing that one. Great song

• Like 1

This one is a bit of a long one. The Alchemist from the Swedish band Witchcraft! Perfect band to play while setting up a new dungeon/campaign. Go ahead, light some candles, you know you want to. If you dig these guys, also be sure to dig back and check out Pentagram!

I'd pick this one, and dedicate it to Gerry.

I was listening to High on Fire this morning. After you said this, I get an image of Gerry's character sinking to his death when this song plays...and that is awesome! I also had an image of Posehn's character standing atop a mountain like some barbarian god, hurling bolts of lightning.